“We go to church with a real live Purple Heart veteran!”

National Purple Heart Hall Of Honor
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in New Windsor
More attraction details
Owner description: Please note the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor is CLOSED on Mondays
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

One feels a sense of pride but. Also sadness. A very nice historical tribute. Not for young kids who will be bored as another wrote. We also live minutes from here & glad we visited.

2  Thank Sushiray

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Surrounded by the New Windsor Cantonment, the last encampment of of the American Revolutionary War, the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor is a most fitting tribute to those who not only served our country but were also wounded or killed in action. Here you can watch a film that explains the origin of the purple heart and then see various exhibits that take you through the numerous wars we have been involved in and memorabilia to go along with the stories. Most moving are the stories from actual purple heart recipients that are shown via several kiosk. You can see and hear the stories of these brave men and women at your leisure. If you have a friend or loved one enrolled, you can sit at a computer and bring up their picture and their story leading to their purple heart status. The grounds surrounding the building are beautiful as well. It is a wonderful way to spend a few hours and honor these heros at the same time. I have been there four times myself. It's a great place to bring middle school students to learn some history. In addition, they run special programs throughout the year where they present insightful information on different conflicts or battles and honor certain individuals. I personally attended a movie and presentation on the battle at Ichon in the Korean War. You cannot come away from this place and not be moved.

1  Thank giachino1945
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Since my father-in-law has been awarded the Purple Heart, my wife and I wanted to visit this location to view the information about him. It is a very nice, well kept location with some interesting displays. There will be a lot of reading on the displays, so the younger children might get bored quickly but the adults will find it very interesting. The videos of Purple Heart recipients were interesting and thought provoking and some of the personal items (letters etc.) made you think how real these stories are. We enjoyed our time there especially the time we spent talking about military families with Allison at the front desk. Definately recommend this site to anyone interested in military history. One suggestion, I know that many of the forms filled out were done by the recipients themselves and they hesitate to discuss much of their experience. I would like to see a follow up with the recipients (especially the older ones) to find out more about their stories. Also, since many soldiers will only discuss their experiences with people who have gone through similar things, a recipient of the Purple Heart would make the perfect person to do the follow up.

1  Thank Barelymoo
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My family's lived nearby for years but we'd never visited this historic site until last month. What a treasure! The Purple Heart Hall of Honor contains several exhibits, all very informative, including moving videos that honor those were wounded or died in the line of duty. There's also a separate room downstairs with an amazing collection of early American, British, and French cannons, each presented with a brief history about how it was manufactured and used. I'm not typically interested in military history, but this was a captivating exhibit, and a very worthy site.

Adjacent to the grounds of the Purple Heart Hall of Honor is the New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site, which was absolutely fascinating. It's a short walk away down a trail that seems to lead to a different point in time and to an almost forgotten chapter of American history. I learned quite a lot from that visit, and would definitely return to see the costumed staff demonstrations or re-enactments. Both sites provide a wonderful opportunity for individuals of all ages to learn about invaluable events in our collective history. Most highly recommended.

1  Thank girasol01
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My wife and I visited this location in August 2013 and were very pleased with its offerings. We especially liked the Purple Heart Hall of Honor but were equally satisfied to learn so much about the Revolutionary War with the exhibits on site. This location is a great place to visit for all age groups. I especially encourage children visit the site for an historical perspective of our countries beginnings. Also, it is an opportunity to learn about how the Purple Heart award came about.

1  Thank Bob C