“Who Knew????”

and up
Historic Hudson Valley Day Tour from NYC
Ranked #3 of 20 things to do in Newburgh
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We had no idea that Washington spent 16 months (with Martha and his staff) at this home and it was there that the truce that led to the end of the Revolutionary War was signed. We had a superb guide, and the museum next door was excellent. A real historical gem. Amazed the National Park Service doesn't own/run it, but it is in fact owned/run by the State of New York, and they are doing a superb job. As for the neighborhood being a little rough? Not really - wasn't worried about it at all.

3  Thank foodie78247

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I'll start off by saying the area around this attraction is a little rough. If you are coming off I-84 through Newburgh to get here, your GPS may take you through some streets and areas that appear unsafe- and that was at 2 pm on a Sunday for me. For the sake of curiosity I looked up Newburgh crime statistics after I got home-- wow. For that reason, there is a fenced parking lot for visitors adjacent to the headquarters property that I would highly recommend using.

The visitor center is housed in an older looking building. It has a short film about what happened when Washington stayed at Newburgh and how this influenced the course of the Revolutionary War. There are some small exhibits on the bottom floor of the museum, but upstairs it has a really nice collection of different weapons, uniforms, and tools. Every item had an index number and a computer kiosk allows visitors to type in a number so they can learn more about a particular item on display. I thought that was an excellent touch.

The guided tour of the house itself took about 30 minutes. It moved briskly throughout most of the rooms in the property. The guide was energetic- her pride in the site definitely can across- and really knew her stuff when it came to Washington and his stay here.

Other features of the site include a memorial (unfortunately gated off as a result of storm damage) and a minute man statue by the same sculptor who created the famous one on Lexington Green in Massachusetts.

I believe the tour guide said this was the first state historical site in the nation and it's a real shame that it has been surrounded by so much blight. Students of the Revolution likely know that some of the decisions Washington made in this house may have saved American democracy in its infancy. For that reason alone, I think this site is well worth visiting!

5  Thank GozerTheTraveller
Reviewed 22 June 2013

There's not much publicity about this place but we saw it in our AAA Guidebook. the view is fabulous and the setting very interesting. We had an excellent tour guide.

1  Thank Janet D
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I read an article in Hudson Valley magazine and dropped by here on a quiet rainy day. I parked on the street before finding that they had a fairly awkward lot in the back I could have used. I didn't really understand what there was to do here. The monument was magnificent from a distance, but there wasn't a path to get to it and up close (through wet grass) it's not in great shape. The museum is supposed to be good, but signage was nonexistant and the part I thought should be the museum wasn't in the least welcoming and appeared closed. Maybe I caught them at a bad time, but this could be so much more.

1  Thank ace4444
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Worth the hour to go and see it. The museum is really nice and the $4 for the tour was worth it. It was great to go into the house and see where Washington did his work.

1  Thank sarah w