“Comfortable and Affordable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newburgh
Stockbridge Ramsdell House on Hudson
Ranked #2 of 9 Newburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I was going to be in Newburgh for business, and didn't want to stay in the strip of chain motels, so I looked for a safer, more interesting place. This B & B didn't disappoint. It is in a charming, historical section of homes, and within walking distance of the waterfront and many restaurants. It was not a fussy, overdecorated home, but comfortable and accommodating. Besides the beautiful architecture, it is filled with local art, history books, and plenty of information about local sights. I enjoyed staying here very much, and would recommend it to anyone travelling through this area.

Room Tip: The room that overlooks the Hudson on the second floor has an attached screened porch with a swing a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Dwynn G
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad that you felt comfortable, and I very much enjoyed our breakfast chats! Hope to see you again should business bring you back to Newburgh.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

The views of the Hudson River are stunning. The food is wonderful. The rooms are great. What's not to like?

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

I loved the designation, "fabulous and funky." According to Webster's, one definition of funky is "earthy and uncomplicated" and I hope that is the meaning you had in mind. I do try to promote a casual environment where stodginess is absent and everyone can feel comfortable.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

My book group spent the weekend at the Stockbridge Ramsdell House on Hudson, and we had a great time! Thanks to our gracious host, we were able to 'take over' the inn by renting all the rooms, and it was cozy, comfortable, relaxed, and fun. We had a roaring fire in the parlor on a cool evening, with wine and cheese, and a tasty, home-cooked meal. The breakfasts were delicious, with fresh baked goods and fresh-brewed coffee. My room was quiet and comfotable, and I slept like a baby. The location was perfect, with killer views of the river, and the owner helped us arrange day trips to Stormking Art Center and Dia Beacon, only about five minutes away. It was a perfect getaway weekend, just over an hour from the city.

Room Tip: Several rooms have great views of the river.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robin F
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. Hosting your group was a true pleasure. I hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed 20 November 2011

The Stockbridge Ramsdell House was built in 1870 and is graceful Queen Anne Victorian, and yes she is old but has a unique charm about her; located in the beautiful historic district of Newburgh, NY. My eight friends and I decided to do a "Quilt Retreat" November 18-20 and I must say it was a quilter's dream com true. We quilted till late in the night and started early in the morning, just a wonderful three days.

The Innkeeper, Nancy, a soft-spoken women saw to all our needs and made our stay there very comfortable. Nancy is a phenomenal cook, every meal made was amazing and truly 5 stars all the way, from her homemade French Toast, to her delicious scones that were out of this world, our taste-buds were in for a treat. Nancy even joined us for lunch and dinner and we all shared our stories and experiences of life with each other. It was truly and wonderful quilting retreat!

Room Tip: Make sure you don't leave any valuables in your car and park in front of the house.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gloria R
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I spent some time reading the small number of negative reviews before writing this, so that my own might be more helpful. Yes, if you want a perfectly manicured house that fits someone's fantasy of what a B&B should be (eg if it were located in Disneyland), this might not be for you. If you want to stay at a place where the landlady has used impressive creativity and imagination to transform a historic old Newburgh house with superb views of the Hudson into a really comfortable place to spend a few nights, then you should go away happy. And the breakfasts are copious, generous, and delicious, featuring homemade muffins, banana bread, and the like, enough food to keep you going all day or at least through lunchtime. Newburgh is close enough to New York City to make it a great weekend getaway, and close enough to the Catskills to be a launching pad for great explorations. Plus The Dia art galleries are just across the bridge in Beacon, the Storm King art center less than 15 minutes away, and there are numerous decent restaurants on the waterfront just footsteps away from the house. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for the Ferry Crossing room with a terrace you can sit on and watch the river.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mbalter
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My daughter and I spent three nights at this B&B after scrambling to find a reasonably priced place that had two beds in a room. We were a little apprehensive driving up to the inn because the neighborhood looked sort of run down. And, the house itself looked like it could use a little attention. But, all of our concerns vanished when we got to our room, which was spacious, clean, nicely furnished, and had a wonderful view of the Hudson. The location was central to many of the places we wanted to visit and easy to get to by train from NYC. Nancy, the innkeeper, strikes the perfect balance of being hospitable but not intrusive. And, she's a fabulous cook. The breakfasts were amazing. She also provided wine and appetizers in the evening. This is not the overly-cute B&B - it's more like a salon. I highly recommend it. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Beau Rivage room is very spacious and quiet. Great view of the river.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank JaniceH595
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We had the most wonderful weekend at the Stockbridge Ramsdell bed and breakfast.The home is lovely, on a very historic street overlooking the Hudson,what could be better?Nancy makes one feel like family with her hospitality and wonderful cooking. We have stayed in many bed and breakfasts throughout the country and this one is my favorite. The combination of the stately home and friendly atmosphere is perfect!

Review by Joan F.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Joan F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburgh
The Inn And Spa At Beacon
Hampton Inn & Suites Newburgh Stewart Airport
The Thayer Hotel
The Thayer Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Point
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newburgh-Stewart Airport
Howard Johnson Inn - Newburgh
Courtyard by Marriott Newburgh Stewart Airport

Been to Stockbridge Ramsdell House on Hudson? Share your experiences!