“Taste of Italy In Newburgh NY ?!?!”
Review of Il Cena'Colo

Il Cena'Colo
Ranked #17 of 186 Restaurants in Newburgh
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Since 1988, Il Cenacolo has brought the taste of Northern Italy to the Hudson Valley. Celebrating the simplicity of classic Tuscan cuisine, its menu offers traditional recipes, presented with sophistication and mastery. The finest ingredients are prepared so their flavor shines through. Following Italy's guiding philosophy, every part of the meal is a culinary experience. Of the many notable dishes on the menu, Polletto al limone, Filetto al pepe nero, and Risotto alla pirata are renowned throughout the region.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was our second time dining at this gem. Our group was six in number and we had convened for a college reunion. Needless to say since we had dined here before we were anxious to return. We were not disappointed from the moment we walked in the door we were greeted by friendly staff and seated a the perfect round table to accommodate our lively conversation(s). We ordered wine (a fabulous recommendation from our server) and waited to hear the 45 specials for the evening - yes, 45! Needless to say we carefully honed in on things that we cannot usually get -- I started with pasta with veal ragu - the ragu was perfectly seasoned and the homemade pasta -- outstanding!! Dinner was venison special with the red wine reduction -- took me back to my days in Germany and eating from the "wild" menu. Two people ordered the Branzino (a medium sized fish) expertly fileted at the table. Others a variety of appetizers and half portions of pasta (which was really enough for a meal). The desserts were outstanding and the entire experience was fabulous. I can hardly wait to go back again!

3  Thank Ronnie T

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We have enjoyed this restaurant over the years and always found their food to be exceptionally delicious. I am not sure if management has changed or the chef or both, or whether it was an off night for them. We waited 45 minutes for our appetizers to arrive though only three other tables were occupied on a Thursday evening. The rigatoni with sausage and peas and the red snapper soup were fine though the entrees were not. The rabbit "stew" was a braised rabbit on the bone, too dry, in a thin wine sauce with a lot of chopped veggies, under-seasoned and unsatisfying. I left most of the red snapper with shrimp and mussels in a light tomato sauce on my plate. The fish was overcooked, the mussels very strong-tasting (unfresh) and sauce undistiguished. Same sauce on the side pasta. We were not inspired to order dessert, though the display looked beautiful, apprehensive about the possible wait and the quality. The meal, including two drinks and a glass of wine, cost us $80 each before tip. Sadly, we have crossed this restaurant off our list.

2  Thank choucrouter
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The restaurant has a very intimate feel to it. Traveling alone I ate at the bar where the service was very good. The server had an intimate knowledge of the menu and steered me to a very nice dinner of Pomodoro Salad and Rigatoni along with the house Cab.

All were fresh and very tasty - expertly served with efficiency and style. I can't say enough about this restaurant. Be sure to check it out should you find yourself in Newburgh at dinner time.

1  Thank rbirds49
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

My family and I have been traveling up and down I-87 for years and have lived through more mediocre meals than I care to admit. That is, until we visited I'l Cena'Cola.
It was a Sunday evening around dinner time when hunger pangs hit as we were driving south. Newburgh seemed to fit as a destination so we searched TA for suggestions. We chose I'l Cena primarily because it was open on a Sunday. When we arrived, the exterior threw us off a bit. The building was nondescript. We fought through our hesitation and stepped inside. That was a good move. We were transported to Rome.
A leg of prosciutto, a round of parmigiana, white fish soaking in oil greeted us. Grilled vegetables and mushrooms lay in an inviting array.
We sat down and ordered from their extensive and fine wine list. We looked at the menu and then ordered from the specials, bolognese sauce over pasta, Cornish hen wrapped in pancetta, the most moist and varied desserts this side of Italy.
I ask again, what is this gem doing here?

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

I should start by saying that I went to this restaurant during Hudson Valley Restaurant Week, so maybe my expectations were a little too high.

The menu we were given sounded delicious, but our portions were extremely small. My meal of stewed chicken tastes great, my mother ordered a pork dish that disagreed with her the rest of the night.

It was hard to get our servers attention, and we were finished with our desserts before our coffee and tea were brought to the table. I would have waited by my ice cream would have melted.

I don't think I will be returning. But, maybe it would be different if I didn't go during restaurant week.