“Rude and run down”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Newburgh
Lake George, New York
“Rude and run down”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I usually make it a point to read ratings and spend my motel dollars wisely since I'm a small business owner and travel a lot. Cleanliness and a feeling of security are of utmost importance Unfortunately, I didn't have time to plan this stay and I guess I deserve what I got.

The desk clerk was rude and spoke in 1 and 2 word phrases offering absolutely nothing. No directions to my room were offered. The key was simply left on the counter.

The lights are dim in the halls. Many of the room doors are damaged/dented. Although the entry door from the parking lot had a lock it was broken and the door was partially open as a result. The ice machine in this entry area was posted "out of order".

Wait...there is a plus....lighting in bathroom is great! But, quick detracting from that positive note are many negatives. A rubber mat has been partially ripped up from the tub resulting in yellow/gray sticky stuff covering most of the area. Face cloths are dingy gray. One towel is kind of fluffy, the other is about as thin as the sheets on the bed. I carefully removed the polyester bedspread from the bed and tossed it in a corner. I checked the sheets for anything with legs or wings. So far, so good.

Bedroom slippers or shoes are a must on this carpet. I didn't dare put my suitcase on the floor. Moulding is coming off at the base of the tub, tissue box is falling out of the wall and the grout in the floor tiles is dirty. The room is big, quiet and is facing a nice wooded area which I find a plus. I can do without the rancid smell of air-freshener that is so common in motels of this caliber.

There are a lot of construction trucks and vans in the parking lot.

I'm not interested in anything they might have tomorrow AM in the way of breakfast offerings.
I won't be coming back to this motel regardless of the great price.

Room Tip: This is a busy and noisy area. I chose a room facing a wooded lot in the back. Second Floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank winechck
Jay M, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Newburgh, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Thank you for your review, I appreciate your comments. Due to your review I have evaluated all our rooms and have made all necessary changes. Also I have evaluated our linen supplies and have upgraded all towels. I have made great changes to the hotel, and my hope is if you are ever traveling in our area again you would give us another try.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This place was filthy!! Found a few unpleasant items left in the room the maids seemed to miss, which included a crack pipe in the phone book and the butt of a marijuana cigarette on the floor. Certainly not a drug free hotel.
There was old French fries on the floor, the room smelled terrible.
This all led to a sleepless night with worries of what might crawl out of the wood work once the lights went out.
Think twice about your stay there!!! You WILL be disappointed!!

• Stayed January 2012
Jay M, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Newburgh, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Thank you for your recent review, I appreciate your comments. Due to your review I have made all necessary changes to housekeeping I assure our guests that are rooms are cleaned daily. My hopes are if your ever traveling through our area again you will give us another try.
Lake Luzerne, New York
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Rooms have had an uplift with new bedding and a fresh coat of paint. Great night sleep with new mattress. We have stayed in different rooms the last few times we were in town & the only negative was the chairs in the rooms, they really need to be replace. Of course in some rooms they may have already done that. Staff is very friendly & helpful, breakfast is a good get you started in the morning type with waffles,cereal and a variety of pastries. Most important is the cleanliness of the entire site. Would never hesitate to stay in this Hojo. Located in a very convenient location with shopping, restaruants and Stewart airport near by.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Falmouth NS
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Clean comfortable room. Suffers a bit from airport traffic. Close to amenities.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Barrie, ONT
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I'm not even going to bother going into a lot of detail on this place. I went to a conference in Newburgh. The men on my team wanted to stay at the HoJo because of the price. Grudgingly I agreed. I wish I didn't.

Newburgh is a total dive to begin with. It's a run down, trashy town. All the manufacturing disappeared years ago, taking with it any money. Garbage litters the streets, shops are boarded up. Shady characters stand on street corners in small groups.

This "hotel" is no different than the town it's situated in. It's a dive. There's no such thing as service. You barely get a grunt out of reception. The halls are dingy. The rooms are dingy albeit tidy. No effort was put into comfort. The screen doors are screwed shut with drywall screws. There were bright lights outside the patio door. I slept for an hour and ran out the door.

To their credit, the lighting was overly functional. So much so it kept me up all night.

Room Tip: To pick a good room, hang up the phone and call the Hilton or Hampton right up the street.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Jay M, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Newburgh, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Thank you for your review, I appreciate your comments. Due to your review I have evaluated our rooms and our hallways and have made all necessary changes to improve our guests stay. My hope is that if your ever traveling through our area you will give us another try.

Jay Mehta
Manager
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Maybe is what you paid for! but this hotels, is one of the worst I ever been, yes it was the last choice we had, almost everything was full in that area, and I wish I knew it, and could drive further away to anogher city.
the rooms, we had 2 rooms, were smelly, even the sheets, the bathroom broken, smelly and plain dirty, from, I believe, a long time. My did not want to take a bath!!
the water was dirty, you could actuallty see the dirt in it.
Not worth it AT ALL.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your review, I appreciate your comments. Due to your review we have made alot of changes to our hotel all linen have been upgrade, We have also made all neccessary changes to our rooms to improve our guests stay. My hope is that if your ever traveling through our area again you will give us another try.

Jay Mehta
Manager
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for two nights while visiting some area attractions. We checked in the same day that the hurricane went through, so we were very happy that they were still able to accommodate us. Check in was okay, if not a little unprofessional, but again, given the circumstances it was acceptable. We travelled with another couple as well, and we both found the rooms to be a good size and generally clean, although showing some definite signs of age. The rooms themselves were acceptable overall, but the common areas throughout the hotel with the exception of the lobby, were quite dirty. This is unfortunate, since by cleaning up the hallways and stairwells, I could easily have given this hotel a good rating, and would have felt more comfortable during my stay. A little pride of ownership goes a long way, but after you leave the lobby, there doesn't appear to be any here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newburgh
Hampton Inn & Suites Newburgh Stewart Airport
Courtyard by Marriott Newburgh Stewart Airport
Four Points by Sheraton Newburgh Stewart Airport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newburgh-Stewart Airport
Quality Inn & Suites Fishkill
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#2 of 2 in Central Valley

Been to Howard Johnson Inn - Newburgh? Share your experiences!