“OK For The Price”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chesapeake, VA
“OK For The Price”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Ckd in Fri the 20th of July for 1 nt. Arrived early and was able to grab a spot in the very small parking lot. I did notice that valet parking is available but seemed slow. Because we arrived 4 hrs early there was not a room available. The desk clerk was very accommodating to check for a possible room and then give us his card to call back in an hour. We did and the room was ready. A good room for a fair price. Third floor looking towards the falls. It was nice to wake up and view the rainbow from our room. No complaints concerning the room. Being close to the falls was great. We were able to walk everywhere, from the Casino to the Falls and all in between. The Hotel did have The Legends restaurant on site. Fri nt they close the street next to the hotel and have Fri nt at the falls. A stage is set up by the city and local bands play. We ate at the outside cafe part of the restaurant and the food specials for the night were excellent. We had the Fri nt fish fry for $7.00. They also had drink specials if you are so inclined. If I remember the drafts were dollar each. Remember this is not a 5 or even 4 star hotel. But for the price it was a good deal. We would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd or 4t floor room facing the falls.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Willoughby, Ohio
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We checked in on July 26th and checked out on the 28th. Didn't expect much since we read all the not so good reviews. But, we decided to try it anyway because of the location and you have to take what some people lightly. The location was perfect for the major attractions. If you decide to do a tour the bus will come to this hotel to pick you up. There is also a booth selling tour packages on-site. We got our tour pkg. at the visiting center. The room itself was clean, comfortable bed, very soft pillows, flat screen tv on the wall and we even had a love seat. The staff were pleasant (not what I was expecting per the reviews). I do wish they included breakfast. They have free wifi although I didn't use it. Check-out was simple as was check-in. Parking was terrible. After about a 5 min. wait we lucked out and got a parking space around the corner from the hotel. Also be aware they do allow dogs in the rooms. The on-site bar/grill had $1 beer which was great. Not sure about the food thou. So for us it wasn't a bad stay at all.

1 Thank michelle w
new york city, ny
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This was not a great hotel. I'd actually give an overall rating of below average if I could.
The hotel is rundown and somewhat dingy. They are in severe need of a renovation. Everything just misses being pleasant and enjoyable which is a shame because they could have a real gem of a hotel if they would just modernize a bit.
Our family had a suite which was very spacious. It even had a bit of a balcony which allowed us to catch the fireworks over the falls. However, I found the rug and duvet a bit too dirty for my tastes. The bed was saggy although I managed to get a reasonable night of sleep. On the plus side, I found no evidence of bugs in our room. Initially the AC did not work but the maintenance man came very quickly once we called about it.
Breakfast was not included with our room but the on-site bar/restaurant "Legends" was convenient. Again, the restaurant itself was rundown although the staff was pleasant and the food was surprisingly good. They have a breakfast buffet when they are hosting tour groups (which seem to be popular at this hotel). I found the the buffet very average although my family enjoyed it. The made to order menu breakfast was very good though. We had lunch there one time and again the food was good but they ran out of certain utensils and the right sized plates. They have a bit of outdoor cafe area and I could see it being a pleasant place to hang out with a beer.
The parking lot is on the small side and I hear that they offer valet service if the lot is full although we did not have parking issues. In fact, we hardly had to move the car because the best thing this hotel has going for it was a great location. It is just a block from the entrance to the state park and walking distance to almost all the major attractions such as Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds. Also walking distance to the Seneca casino if you like that sort of entertainment.
So overall, if the hotel would just renovate I wouldn't hesitate to come back here because I found the location perfect. But as it is, I'd try to find something better if I ever needed to stay in the area again.

Bradford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 July 2012

some (not all) staff members EXTREMELY rude. check in process is a joke - no place to park and took over 30 minutes, then not enough carts so we had to carry luggage for 4 to our room. this was after sitting in our car for 20 minutes then standing outside in 96 degree heat for another twenty minutes waiting to be checked in. ice machine on our floor didn't work and almost all vending machines in the entire place were either empty or out of order. room at least was clean but nothing to write home about - bathroom is WAY too small and vanity / sink are outside of bathroom with no privacy. no list of tv channels in the room, so had to ask at the desk - what a joke! after they finally dug up a list, went to the room to find out ALL channels on the list were wrong - not one matched. restaurant not that hot and over priced for what we had. then after checking out, we waited almost 45 minutes for valet to bring our car (after being told it would be a 15 minute wait). also, while waiting to check out we witnessed one of the desk clerks being terribly rude to the folks ahead of us. she actually leaned across the desk, got in the lady's face and screamed "i don't have to be nice to you". then after we had driven about 80 miles in severe thunderstorms, we realized the headlights in the car weren't on. i always keep them set at automatic - so the valet apparently turned them off and didn't bother to tell us. fortunately we weren't stopped or worse yet, in an accident. do not stay here - priced way too high for the quality of the property, service and restaurant. I am not sure where the people who say the prices here are good usally stay, but $170 for one room for one night is just a little ridiculous!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!

Travellers are raving about these Niagara Falls hotels

Farmington, CT
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We stayed here two nights to attend a wedding, and, while the wedding was fantastic, the hotel was a huge disappointment. We stayed in a suite with a king bed, which, while spacious, had multiple issues. First, the room wasn't clean, as we found dog biscuits on the floor. Next, the mattress on the king bed was bowed to the middle, making for a poor night's sleep. You could feel every spring on the rollaway bed that we ordered for our younger son, and, normally, you'd expect that, but this was worse than any I've felt, and we were charged $20 per night for it. As stated in other reviews, the carpet and decor were stained and dated.

In addition to the room issues, we didn't receive housekeeping services. We stayed Friday and Saturday night, and were away from the hotel most of Saturday. We came back Saturday at around 6 PM for a bit, and discovered that our room was still in disarray. When I called the front desk to see what happened, they informed me that housekeeping had gone home for the day, and that they'd inform the manager in the morning.

Finally, the parking situation could not have been worse. There were very few spots in the back lot, and the valets, while working very hard, didn't seem like they had a good system in place, as it took at least 30 minutes to retrieve our car from an offsite lot. I called ahead one time from my room, and was informed that I had to physically bring my ticket in order for my car to be retrieved. At most hotels where I've stayed with valets, I've been able to call ahead and have my vehicle waiting for me.

A few additional notes - there is a restaurant on site, but we were told by others in the wedding party that the food was lousy, so we didn't eat there. There is a pool, but only my son used it, and it was tiny and packed with people most of the time. There is a cigar room next to the elevators, which is neat for those who enjoy that type of thing, but the odor permeates into the hallway.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
2 Thank david053_12
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I am actually surprised by the negative reviews on the site. To start with there is nothing fancy about this place but this place suffices the purpose of staying in a hotel at a good price. Its clean, has good service, provides basic amenities and best of all has the best location. It’s a block away from the state park and close to all NY side attractions on the fall. Infact we asked for late checkout and the staff was not grumpy about that. Also staying at this hotel gave us the advantage of leaving our car here even though we had checked out. I am very impressed by the hotel and would go back again.

1 Thank MSIndia
Albany, New York
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed here for two days and there really wasn't much to complain about. The room was nice, the bed and pillows were comfy, and the staff was friendly. Being about a 5 minute walk to the falls was very convenient. It's too bad the American side of the falls is so dead. There is pretty much nothing over there except the park and the casino. We walked over to Canada a couple times because there is way more to do there.

I saw someone mention the elevator in another review. There are two elevators, not one. Both moved quickly and if you don't feel like waiting a couple minutes there are stairs. They're kind of hidden, but if you're standing looking at the elevators, look to your right and you'll see a hallway. You just go down there and the stairs are to your left. We were on the third floor and used them quite a bit.

Legends was nice, but currently they're redoing their menu, so there isn't much of a selection at all. If you look at their website I would say probably half of the stuff listed there isn't available right now. I'm not sure when they will have the new menu, but if you want a nice big dinner you should ask to look at it first.

If I were to ever stay on the American side of the falls (which I probably won't), I would stay here again.

1 Thank kimrey86