“Fantastic Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

US$629.00*
and up
Niagara Falls Day Trip from Boston by Air
More attraction details
Owner description: Niagara Science Museum is located in the heart of, once vibrant, North end industrial area of Niagara Fall.
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fantastic Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

The Niagara Science Museum is a true gem. I had the pleasure of visiting and was given an informative tour by Nick Dalacu, who clearly put much love and effort into running his private museum. The highlight of the experience for me was the fact that almost all the antique scientific equipment were laid out in plain view, with only a portion of the collection behind glass. This made for a very engaging experience that cannot normally be found at your typical museum. The setup of the equipment in separate rooms as recreations of scientific labs was also a very nice touch.

I feel it important to mention that the review claiming the museum is "overpriced" is nothing but bogus. The museum does not charge a fee for entering, and only runs on donations. From my short but very worthwhile visit, I could feel that Nick runs his museum with his only desire being to share his passion for knowledge with others.

Visited December 2012
4 Thank Cheuk-Yin T

Buffalo, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“You will be pleasantly surprised!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

My 3 children and I had never heard of this place before and decided to give it a try. Like others had previously mentioned, driving to this part of town made me uncertain of what we were going to come across, but after checking out their website online, we gave it a shot.

As soon as we entered the building, I felt like we had stepped back in time. We could see old scientific equipment everywhere. We were greeted by Nick Dalacu who REALLY ads to the charm of the place.

Before starting out, Nick talked to us in the foyer for a little bit, inquiring about our backgrounds and interest in science. He let us walk around a little on our own before joining us for a more guided tour.

I was very amazed at all of the old equipment there, some of it behind glass, but most of it set up and apparently still working! Nick gave us a few demonstrations in various laboratories. One thing that is immediately clear is his great knowledge in many different areas of science as well as his enthusiasm that he has carried with him throughout his many years. The credibility that he brings to the tour significantly makes it more interesting. Without that, it might be difficult to figure out what each of the instruments are for, let alone how they work.

While the nearby Buffalo Museum of Science has a much bigger budget and has been around longer, their many displays behind glass don't give much desire for a return visit. The Niagara Science Museum is more hands-on and sparks imagination, investigation, and a sense of wonder in kids of any age. And, while the Niagara Science Museum operates on a much smaller budget, it's impressive what they have done with that.

So after having spent a good amount of time inside the museum, it actually seems very fitting for it to be located where it is. It would not have the same feel walking into it if it was in the middle of the populated tourist area of Niagara Falls.

This is one of those hidden gems in Western New York that will eventually become very well known...go NOW, take your family, your friends, your students...step back in time for a charming little adventure!

...and don't forget to take some cash along for the gift shop! Some really neat things there to help support a VERY wonderful asset here in our community.

Tom Kling and Kids

Visited September 2012
5 Thank Tom K
nicholas1111, Manager at Niagara Science Museum, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
This review is very nice and highly motivating! Thanks from the bottom of my heart.
Nick
Hamburg, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wow! One of the greatest education places I've been in a long time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

Just the physical experiments in electricity and physics are worth the trip. However, I setup an appointment with Nick Dalacu to discuss some projects, so we could collaborate with my school to help the students find interesting and worthwhile photovoltaicprojects . The result of the visit was much better than I could have imagined. Nick is very knowledgeable about everything there and walked me through the evolution and process many electronic related components and devices. Our school is very fortunate to have such a knowledgeable and dedicated in our area. Thank you for all your assistance and what you have done.
I look forward to stopping by again.
Jessie Perison

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Jessie P
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrific collection of early 20th Century scientific instruments used by physicists and engineers to develop the electrical powe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

Very interesting guided tour by Nick Dalacu. He has collected and preserved some very nice scientific instruments that were once widely used but are now largely forgotten and rarely seen. He demonstrates a number of science experiments using electricity and light. The progression of this type of work has now led to solar cell power. Don't be concerned about the appearance of the building from the outside; it will be spruced up eventually.

1 Thank Michigantraveler25
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't let the outside scare you away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

I came to the museum with my parents and we were a bit shocked by the outside and the neighborhood. It looked a little scary to be honest but because it got such great reviews we gave it a shot anyways and were glad we did so. The collection is amazing and the tour guide, Nick, is extremely knowledgable on every peice on display. You get a much better one on one experience here than most museums offer. If science is your thing then I think you would find this small, charming museum worth the trip.

1 Thank ScientificFoodie
nicholas1111, Manager at Niagara Science Museum, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Scientific foodie: Because I like how you think, I guess I would enjoy tremendously your cooking. I am glad you mention the surroundings. Some people are coming to see our museum because of the good reviews. They park behind the building for a short while and then goes away afraid that our museum is a really bad tourist trap. Historically, the locals detest this once vibrant area and drive through in a hurry. For me it is where my dreams came true and much more importantly, it is where industrial America used to be.
It would be so simple to groom the neighbourhood, but it is the “North End”; it is like some influential people just like to keep the area like that.
I hope you will come back, Nick