“Good, but dont open hotel until fully finished and staff trained!”

Four Points by Sheraton Niagara Falls
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Good, but dont open hotel until fully finished and staff trained!”
Reviewed 3 June 2011

So my stay was for two nights as I visited Niagara Falls. This hotel just opened around third week of May 2011 so it was clean as it can be. Check-in was smooth. Ample parking.

First morning of my stay we suddenly woke up to the loud banging noise coming from the roof. As the hotel was still new, there was roof work going on. So, I called reception and they were very apologetic and offered me an upgrade to River view room and complimentary breakfast for that morning. Okay, so I didn't cringe much. River room was good but not worth spending $200 per night.

Moving on to checkout, I found out that my bill was screwed up and I was being charged for the river room view almost $170 more!! So, I had to explain the rate that I booked the room under (it was stay one night get another 40% off) Now, the wait game began for me. The girls/staff at the Four Points didnt know what the heck they were supposed to do and how can they credit back $170. It took them 40 minutes to figure out how to credit my account. There was no apology or no "I am sorry" attitude. It was all like here is your credit and now go away...

There was another customer yelling at the manager as the fire alarm went off without warning and he was in the shower.

Overall the place is good if you are able to score a deal, but the staff needs to get trained and Sheraton needs to get its act together before opening up the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jkp923

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Toronto
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Considering most of the hotels in the Niagara Falls, NY area are older and in need of repair, I was looking forward to my shopping trip and enjoying a newly refurbished hotel. The hotel itself is very nice. Everything is new with a very modern feel. We did have some problems checking in though. We had booked a room with 2 queen beds but they gave us a room with a king bed only. It took 2 other attempts, but we were eventually given the correct room configuration. The staff seemed a little flustered with a computer system that didn't seem to be functioning properly, but they were very apologetic and tried their best to fix the problem. Considering the hotel had just opened a week earlier, I figured they still had some bugs to work out and I would cut them some slack this time. For our inconvenience, we were given some free breakfast vouchers. The restaurant was very nice and had a great river view. The standard bacon and egg breakfast was average but my sister really enjoyed her french toast. Even though we had the vouchers, I looked at the prices and found them reasonable for a hotel restaurant.
The rooms were average in size but each room has a kitchenette which was very helpful as I was travelling with a child. The beds were all brand new and super comfortable - I had a great sleep. The bathroom was very upscale with a separate shower and jacuzzi tub. If you are going to spend any time in your room, make sure you request a river view. I was also impressed with the indoor pool area. It was very large and there was tons of seating around it. As well, there were large windows all around it with river views so you didn't feel like you were in a back corner of the hotel like so many other pool areas are. I didn't see a hot tub so I don't think there was one.
Keep in mind, that although this hotel is in Niagara Falls, NY, it is not within walking distance of the falls. It is better suited to business travellers or those looking to do some local shopping. I plan to return again as it is one of the nicer hotels in the area - I just hope they work out some of the kinks with their room assignment software.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the river
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank jetset_woman
Auburn, NY
Reviewed 27 May 2011

We normally stay on the Canadian side of the falls, but with this property opening we wanted to spend our money in the US.

This stay will not encourage that in the future.

I realize that this hotel was just opening, but it was clear that they had very little clue what they were doing.

We arrived well after 3pm, and were asked if we really wanted the "accessible" room we had booked. We had not booked an "accessible" room, so I suppose that goes down as strike 1. What we had booked was a simple room with a King bed. They did not have one ready, so being good sports we headed out for some time at the casino and to grab something eat. It would have been nice to freshen up first, but such is life.

Returning around 8pm we went to the front desk to "re-check" in, and were given keys. Up to the room we went, only to find that in between when we were given the keys, and when we arrived at the room, someone had taken the King bed and replaced it with two doubles.

I called down to explain that we did not get a King room, and was assured that the computer said that the room I was standing in, was in fact a King room. Eventually they came to beleive that I really could tell the difference, and admitted that their "inventory" must be screwed up, so downstairs I trekked to get another set of keys.

Arriving at the Front Desk, I mentioned that this visit was off to a really bad start, and that I would appreciate a voucher for a complimentary room in the future. Nope. But what I could have was two breakfast vouchers for the next morning for $15 each. Whoopee! I guess I should have sensed further trouble coming when I noticed the gigantic stack of breakfast vouchers for the next day that they were handing out like candy - but frankly I just wanted to get into a room and relax.

Arriving at the "King" suite we were "upgraded" to, we found a pretty standard room, nice comfortable bed, a kitchenette (not that we wanted or needed one, and if we did we had better not want to use the microwave because it was conspicuously missing from it's place), and a bathroom that could have been the highlight.

The bathroom could have been the highlight because it had a very nice glass shower and an over-sized whirlpool tub. However, the bathroom was NOT highlight it could have been, because the toilet was dirty. What could be better after a long day than relaxing in a tub, just feet away from someone else's ........ well you know what it was.

The bed was comfortable, but the air conditioning device was so loud as to make you think that you were sleeping on a comfortable bed, on board the Maid of the Mist.

The next morning we head down to get the complimentary breakfast, and sit in what looks to be a pretty nice dining area. And we sit, and we sit, and we sit, and we sit, and we sit..... and all the people around us sit, and sit, and sit, and sit, and sit...... and because it is too hot and muggy for humans, we all sweat as we sit, and sit ,and sit....... and eventually the natives at the surrounding tables decided that the only thing better than sitting and sweating, is sitting and sweating and complaining, - and well you get the point.

Breakfast takes way more than a hour, it is nothing special at all (in fact the hash browns were some kind of freaky orange color like they were meant to be used as a Halloween decoration). The only saving grace was that our waitress Laura (who actually was a bartender that was called in to help, and who admitted she had never waited tables) was VERY nice. The only arrows in her quiver to keep her customers happy were her smile, and re-fills of coffee, and she really made the most of what she was given to work with.

All in all this was a very pathetic experience.

Maybe next time they realize that they are royally screwing up, the answer will be to actually give the customer what they ask for, instead of compensating them with the worst breakfast experience since The Egg and You Diner in Albany NY at 4 in the morning......

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple