“What a thrill”

Maid of the Mist
Ranked #2 of 26 Tours in Niagara Falls
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Maid of the Mist-Since 1846. Trips depart every 15 minutes from Prospect Point, Niagara Falls State Park in Niagara Falls, New York. Tours are 20 minutes long. Take a ride to the base of Niagara Falls for an experience to remember. Souvenir rain ponchos are provided. The last day of the 2018 season will be Sunday November 4th.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Our experience on Maid of the Mist did not disappoint. Very organized folks who run things and we got on quickly and easily. So exciting the see the falls up close and it feels very safe....WET but safe. And of course they provide ponchos for you to wear. We found it a little confusing to find - the signage could be improved. It is located within the Niagara State Park on the American side of the falls (there is a boat ride on the Canadian side as well but I have not been on it). The state park is very nice with some lovely views of the falls. The food offered there is nothing great so if you have the capacity I would bring a picnic.

1  Thank LabMAK
Write a ReviewReviews (4,232)
All reviews
in 65 reviews
"discovery pass"
in 83 reviews

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Doesn't matter if on Canada or Us side......a must to do. You will get a little wet. From experience get on the top floor left side or front of boat for best experiences. Boat fills quickly with tons of people. Only negative feedback is that i wish less people were on boat so everyone had opportunity for good views and photo moments. The price you pay.....lots were trapped on right side or middle section and couldn't get great pictures without having tons of heads and hands in way.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is one tradition you will not want to miss. You get to see the falls up close and personal. There is nothing like feeling the power of nature. I would recommend this to everyone. You will get wet but that is part of the fun. We planned for it by doing all the "wet activities" on the same day.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

My sister and I had walked around to see both the Canadian and American Falls a few times before we finally did the Maid of the Mist. Obviously, Niagara is spectacular in its own right, but there was nothing better than actually being right to the falls in a little boat. I didn't take any pictures of my own because I didn't want the camera to get wet (and get wet it would!), though I did use a GoPro in a waterproof case to record the entire experience. I didn't pay too much attention to that though because the sheer awesomeness of both falls was enough to distract me from paying much attention to it.

We stood on the upper deck, near the back, on the left. It was a great way to see the American Falls. The Canadian Falls could be easily seen there as well, though I think the people on the right side probably had a better view. You feel like you get really close to the Canadian Falls, and it's awesome to feel the boat rocking back and forth so much. But, of course, everything is perfectly safe.

Definitely make sure you wear the poncho, as it does get really wet! Might want to pull the string around the hood too if you're worried about your hair. The wind off the falls tends to blow that back.

Keep in mind that there is no storage available, though. So, whatever you take with you is what you take on the boat. I had my iPhone with me, and it was kept perfectly safe inside my pocket with the poncho on.