“Exactly the type of place I look for when traveling”

The Why Coffee Shop
Cuisines: American
Chicago, Illinois
“Exactly the type of place I look for when traveling”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

When I travel I love to eat at places I can't find back home. I want good places where the locals go and The Why is just that kind of place. We got there at 11 on a Monday morning and were lucky enough to get the last table because shortly after that people were waiting in line for an open table or space at the counter. When looking over the menu my husband commented, "These prices are ridiculous. Anywhere else it would be three times more." True, and the best part is that the food is GOOD and made to order. They have a highly efficient cook on the grill (I watched her work). You get waaaaay more than you pay for here, including free coffee during the week. It was busy, the place was like a beehive, but our waitress was polite & efficient. The locals were friendly too. I struck up a conversation with a man at the counter while waiting for our food and another solo diner joined in. Just one warning, it's cash only (there's a sign on the front door). GREAT all around place! I wish there was a place like this where I'm from!

1 Thank duranie4life

Niagara Falls, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Still the very best place to eat!!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great place, great owners, wonderful staff and friendly patrons! We suggest having the Pete and Dino! Also the patty melt is wonderful!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Sharon N
Oceanside, California
“So "local" & good”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We were looking for a simple breakfast place and stumbled across the Y. Not only is it at a Y intersection, it's across the street from the old YMCA. Good basic food, we had a good breakfast for two for about $8. Including coffee! Special mention for the potatoes, they were great. Lots of locals, very large counter seating, not too many tables. Leave your mink at home, they won't be impressed. Open 6:30A to 2P, 7 days a week.

New York City, New York
“Great Value”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We came based on the review. It's very 60's. We wanted to have a wonderful breakfast first before we went to the falls. We had such a great time. It was packed on Saturday morning. We waited for about 20 mins for table. It's a self seated restaurant. Staffs are so friendly and nice. We had such a great breakfast and it's cheap (compare the cost in NYC) and free refill coffee.... Please be patient because they are very busy with limited staffs. I am so happy that I have been here. Thanks The Why, I hope I will come back again..

• Visited June 2014
Sanford, Florida
“Just because...That's WHY!”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is Niagara Falls Diamond in the Rough! I could not wait to write a review about this place. I just hate to think that the next time I am in the area, I will not be able to eat here because of how popular it will be. It is a step back in time...quality of the food, friendly service of the waitress, quantity of the food, and the prices. It is like time stopped for whom ever is running this place. Yesterday, I was greedy and ate two breakfasts - my wife had one and the bill was still under $15, including drinks and tip. I hope it doesn't change for the good of the neighborhood and for those of us, out of towners, that have found this place.
The only downer, is the size of the ladies restroom. My wife said, she could wash her hands, at the sink, as she sat to use the facilities.

• Visited June 2014