“GREAT SHOW; HORRIBLE PARKING”

Thunder Over Niagara
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I can't say enough good about the air show and the on-base support personnel for the show. The problem is getting to the show and parking. We were coming from Rochester, and all was well till we were within a few miles of the base. A sign said, "Air show take Rt. 429 to Lockport Rd." So we did, and traffic almost immediately came to a halt. We were then re-routed two more times after that. We ended up parking in the SPCA field for $5 and walking nearly 1 mi more to the base. And then you have to wait in line for the security check. From that turn on to 429 to actually getitng on to the base was nearly an hour and a half.
Police personnel did nothing to help the traffic or the parking situation; there were no police personnel directing traffic. In short, traffic and parking were very poorly handled by organizers.
Give yourself more time than you think you'll need to get there, be prepared to walk, and bring extra money because the concessions are expensive.

3  Thank P A

Reviewed 10 September 2011

As an airshow enthusiast from the UK I had high hopes for this, but unfortunately due to unbelievably poor traffic control the only parts of the show I got to see were out of my car window as I waited in for OVER 3 HOURS in traffic to get into the show. Bear in mind this is coming from less than 10 miles away. I would hate to think how long people had been driving if they were coming from further away. Loads of people were just giving up after about 1.5-2hrs and pulling U -turns in the road - which on reflection i wish I had done as well.

I've been to dozens of much larger airshows int the UK such as the Duxford Flying Legends shoes, the Shuttleworth displays and they all had much smoother, faster traffic/parking control.

If you're determined to go I'd set out as early as possible, but this encounter tainted it for me. Won't be back.

5  Thank IslandDragon