“Casino Hotel”

Seneca Niagara Resort & Casino
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We chose to stay at Seneca Niagara during out visit to the Falls because the other couple in the group love to play the slot machines. The hotel price and location was great; we easily walked to the New York side of the Falls. The room was spacious and comfortable. I'd love to have the bathroom and make-up area in my own home. I would recommend this hotel but with a warning; the smell of smoke in the hallway and lobby is evident to those with sensitive allergies and the loud music in the lobby can give you a headache. The hotel rooms were definitely smoke-free. We found the valet service to be very friendly and quick, but we were there mid-week, off peak Niagara Falls time.

1  Thank Allee123
Write a ReviewReviews (1,479)

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

This casino is not as nice as advertised. The staff was friendly but overall game selection was horrible. They had a smoke free area in the casino but people smoked without regard to the signs. Restaurants are nice but that's about all that can be said.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Encouraged by the reviews on this site we booked the Seneca, fortunately only for one night.
The service was dreadful. Parking is difficult and there was no co--operation from the parking valets when asked for directions into the parking lots. There was no friendly greeting at the door and we waited 14 minutes on line for the reception desk.
I expected smoke on the gaming floor but we were hit by a wall of smoke fumes on our floor and then when I put my head on the pillow an overwhelming smell of smoke. This hotel has the possibility of being better. They manage it at Vegas in similar sized casino/ hotels where service and air quality on the hotel side is fine.
One of the lights didnt work and although reported nobody came. We returned to our room to a note which stated they would be cleaning our windows from 7.30 next morning !
I would suggest dont stay and take a day trip to Niagara, except the night time falls is so spectacular. Consider the Canadian side if you are an overseas traveller it might be more to your taste but avoid the Seneca Hotel.

1  Thank FrancesMM
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The last time I visited this casino was in September 2013 for a few hours. When it comes to Seneca Casino I definitely enjoy myself the most here for a couple of reasons (in no specific order):

-Your allowed to smoke on the game floor and in the lobby. As someone who grew up in Ontario I have had enough of the "nanny state" to say the least. If I have to drive from the Greater Toronto Area to Seneca Casino just so I can enjoy a cigar indoors while on the slots then that already bodes well for me and my friends who go every few months!

-There is a good selection of tables and machines in my opinion. As any casino it depends how deep your pockets stretch.

-Overall I find the casino to be well maintained and it has nice decor through out. Right now they are renovating some of the tables on the game floor though. It looks great in my opinion!

-Parking is free!

-Drinks are also cheap. It can cost me around $7 to buy a draft beer in a Canadian Casino meanwhile I can buy two for $8. No complaints there!

**I haven't had a chance to stay in one of the hotel rooms as of yet but do plan on doing so in the near future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Polish_Legion
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This was one of the worst hotel experiences my wife and I have had and we were only there for two hours!

My wife and I had booked a two night stay at the Hotel in a King-Bed Corner Suite and were excited for two romantic evenings at the highest end hotel on the U.S. side of Niagara Falls.

Here was our experience:

- Pulled up to the front of the hotel at 7:00pm, no one to greet us, no one to help with luggage, no one to help park the car; we just sat there and had to ask several people if these services even existed before eventually being helped

- I went in to the lobby to check in and there were three employees working behind the check-in desk, one was on the phone, one was checking in guests and another was busy on her computer. Another guest and I waited for at least 5 minutes before someone even acknowledged our presence and when we were finally checked in, there was a distinct lack of friendliness and helpfulness

- The smokiness in the lobby was overwhelming and unbearable…particularly for someone like myself who can be prone to the occasional asthma attack.

- The bellman who eventually helped my wife unpack the car (while I was checking us in) didn’t bother to ask for a name or room number before bolting off with our luggage so when we got upstairs to our room and waited for five minutes, we realized they didn’t have any idea who the luggage belonged to so we then had to call down to inform the bell desk that they had our luggage

- When the bellman finally arrived, and was putting down our luggage, I asked if there was a luggage rack/stand as we’d been traveling for nearly two weeks and have large suitcases; no, “what you see is what is here” was the response

- The room looked huge and nice upon entering but upon closer examination, the couch and ottomans looked and felt like cheap hospital furniture

- My wife and I, very annoyed and frustrated by now, decided to explore what the financial cost would be to leave a night (or two early). I called the front desk who put me on hold for 10 minutes while she spoke to reservations, only to tell me that I could not break the reservation because I had booked it through a third party vendor (Expedia, Travelocity, etc.)…which was hilarious because I booked it directly through the hotel’s website. When I informed the front desk agent of this, she promptly transferred me to reservations so I could then wait on hold for another 15 minutes before being told that I’d be charged the full first night ($299) no matter what but I could get my second night back if I left (which we did).

- Last Comment: There is a reason many communities are scared of casinos opening in their neighborhoods; the folks who we saw milling about the lobby and the front entrance of the Hotel confirmed why many might not want a casino in their backyard

4  Thank eblnyc
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We had next to no wait to check-in and none to check-out. Overall the hotel is very nice to look at and has a great vibe to it. We had food from Blues Burgers, Tim Horten's, Cold Stone and the Thunder Falls Buffet and all was great, especially the buffet. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The rooms were a lot better than I expected, the rooms were large with a huge window with a view of Canada, the bathroom was nice and the shower was great. I enjoyed everything about this hotel, except for the smoking. We asked for a non-smoking room which was one of the few places in the hotel that didn't smell of cigarette smoke. Australia has strict non-smoking laws so it was a big change having people smoke around food and in the casino. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over-looking Canada/the falls and if a non-smoker ask for a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I really enjoyed my three-night stay at this hotel. My room on the 22nd floor was very large and had a nice view of the Canadian side and the vapor coming off the falls (not really a falls view but interesting) and even fireworks one night. The bed was firm but comfortable. The room was extremely quiet even though there were other guests in the rooms on both sides of mine. The bathroom was very roomy, with an oversize shower. Every interaction with the hotel staff was pleasant and the service was very efficient. I didn't wait in line for check in or check out. The free valet parking was also very efficient and convenient. I ate at three of the hotel's restaurants, and all were good: Three Sisters for breakfast (fairly mundane but acceptable buffet included in the bed-and-breakfast package), Koi Noodle Bar, and Blues Burger Bar. My only complaint is that the liberal smoking policy results in a significant smell of smoke. My nonsmoking room did not have any odor, but the rest of the hotel is a little smelly and the restaurants have smoking sections that can be a little annoying. The casino is the smokiest area, but there is a small nonsmoking section there. All in all, a very pleasant stay, and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: A high floor facing the Canadian side was a nice perk.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo