“Wait, I Won !?” 5 of 5 bubbles

Rochester, NY
“Wait, I Won !?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2009

A bit of background:
To start out I have been to this casino before and made this only my 2nd overnight stay.

I'm really not one to complain to any hotel I stay at unless something is just so wrong it will effect my stay.

The Crown Plaza (located directly across the street and formerly a Holiday Inn) was only $20 less per night and i figured for my money the Seneca Niagara Hotel was the place to stay. My stay was for 1 night, a Saturday. Myself and 2 friends took the quick 90 minute drive from Rochester.

This was just a fun trip for me and a much needed day to relax and have a good time, win or lose, days off for me are hard to come by! As we drove in I noticed the weather was good, marking for an on time arrival.

I was nervous as we arrived at 3pm and would think there would be a long line to check in. The lobby is really very nice, and right off the Valet stand. VALET IF IT IS NOT FULL!! IT IS A LONG WALK FROM THE PARKING GARAGE TO THE LOBBY!! Of course I parked in the garage. Valet can be a bit of a wait if your leaving at a peak time. Last time we used valet and left at 2 AM we waited 20 minutes for the car.

To my shock there was no wait to check in. Plain and simple. No issues here, a helpful staff who all appeared to be very nice. And for this peak time plenty of help there to keep things going smoothly.

If you have never been here before, join the players card! They send cards out every month for free room nights Mon-Thurs and discounted rooms on weekends. Book fast as they are limited and sell out fast. This room sadly was not free or discounted. I booked online on the hotels website for $169. Put 3 guys in the room and its not a bad deal in my opinion if you compare what else is around (not much on the USA side)

We stayed on the 18th Floor with a look of the falls and canada. We took the quick elevator ride to the room. Like most casino trips I make, I dont spend much time in the room. This room I do not mind staying in. It is AWESOME. The walk down the halls make you think you are in a 5 star vegas hotel. You enter the room and will be amazed at the above average size and features. The beds I find to be very good and the Flat Screen TV is great if you have a bit of time late at night or early in the morning. The bathroom makes these rooms great. I feel spoiled with all the room. The shower could fit a small horse and is tiled. Warning no bathtubs here!

As for the rest of the place the casino staff/dealers/pit bosses/wait staff are all really nice and do a great job. The dealers are very friendly and talkative which is a plus.

The only drawbacks I find here are the costs of pretty much anything is on the high side, but if your coming here you pretty much know that ahead of time. Food choices are not the greatest. There are 2 small food stands with a hot dog for $4. THIS ONE IS A WINNER! The 24 hour cafe located in the hotel lobby is one where we visited this trip. The prices for what i felt to be basic fare kind of worried me. $11 for a cheeseburger and fries?! Compare this to the Buffet ($18-22) and it is not all bad. I would not eat at the buffet if it was free. Not a fan of paying that much for below average buffet food. They do have prime rib,meats and crab legs but i don't ever find myself getting my money or comp worth. I believe the prices are higher as they expect hotel goers to use the comp value. They also have a steak house which I have only heard good things about. The players card comps can be used at the hotel any dining facility, gift shop, or bar. Pretty much any where, but they dont have cash back.

The other draw back i saw was when checking out (around 11 am) it seems the entire hotel did and the wait at the elevators was painfully slow. Not sure the hotel can be blamed for it. They have 6 elevators and about 27 floors. Do the math and your waiting for in my case about 12 minutes to get to the lobby. I ended up piling in an UP elevator to finally get down. Not too many people happy with this but again i am not sure the hotel is to blame. Just bad congestion.

All in all this was a great trip. I left a winner! Really nice place and great for a week end get a way. Not much to do right around the hotel. however with in a walking distance the falls are around 10 minutes as well as the border to Canada where there is much to do and 2 other casinos.

• Liked — Great staff in casino and hotel. Really nice rooms.
  • Disliked — Wait at elevators can be long. Food costs high if not using casino comps.
  • Stayed January 2009
2 Thank Roulette34

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2008

The Seneca is an excellent property but there are a few quibbles:
-the description of the view offered by the desk clerk at check-in included a view upriver, and that was indeed true if we had binoculars so as it was, we had an unimpeded view of the parking lot;
-the washrooms do not include a bathtub and there's no door on the toilet compartment (throne room);
-during our visit, 2 of the restaurants were closed. The Koi and las Cascata were dark although that gave us the opportunity to dine in the Western Door twice (and that was good);
-in the casino's pit the floorpersonnel kept raising the bet minimum and wouldn't offer a "grandfather" option;
-yes, the casino is smokey, but does offer a non-smoking section;
-the design of the casino is an architect's nightmare with too many elements working against each other.
My wife, Reno, loved the gambling and the comps were easy enough to get when we asked for them, so we'll be back.

• Liked — Spacious room for the price; nicely decorated
  • Disliked — Reno, my wife, prefers a bathtub & I'd like a door on the throneroom compartment.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rowdyreno
Rochester NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2008

I will make this short.The smoke is everywhere, it is repulsive to non smokers and I think the casino will learn really quick that smokers are in the minority and they have to cater to the non smoker.I would make the casino non smoking and give the smokers a room to gamble and destroy there health and the workers. I found the room to be very nice.It was spacious and clean, I did not smell stale smoke in my room, The second you leave your room its there in the halls and elevators.The buffet is exp and average, They boast about the crab legs, They are cold not hot.I will not return to this facility ever.

• Liked — room and view were nice
  • Disliked — smoking
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RochesterNYMets69
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2008

We were given this room as a comp through the casino and we had a corner room, unbelievable view, beautiful room, large, had a jacuzzi , king bed, just unreal. Best place we have stayed at and the service and food was excellent. Wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Liked — my room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bennylu
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2008

Booked 2 nights, and was not expecting much but was blown away by our stay here, it was great. We has a standard king room, it was really spacious, LCD TV, great bed, nice decor, amazing bathroom, huge shower, phone in bathroom with 2 lines!
The only thing that bothered me was that they do not have wireless internet in the rooms and they charge for internet access at $9.95 day, I mean even our local motel 6 has free wireless access in the rooms.
The casino was good, lots of variety in machines, we came out up $80 after 2 days of gambling.
Ate at the buffet twice, lots of variety, great service and selection of free drinks.

• Liked — Rooms and even hallways!
  • Disliked — No free internet
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Parma, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

Had an excellant stay here. Very clean and comfortable room. Huge bathroom. Plenty of restaurant choices and free drinks are nice while gambling (if you can find a server). Overall a good choice.

• Liked — cleanliness comfort
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank tipsytravler
Niagara Falls NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2008

My wife and I have stayed at the seneca several times. Each time was better than the one before. Big rooms, huge bathroom, awsome views, and the service and cleanliness was wonderful. We live right in Niagara Falls but we like to have our little escapes now and then. You cant beat the price. We cant wait to go again.......I'm gettin itchy to go back real soon.

• Liked — Just wonderful overall
  • Disliked — When I had to leave
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple