“Shame about the check-in!”

Sheraton At The Falls
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersBronze level
Derby, United Kingdom
“Shame about the check-in!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Travelling as part of a tour group and arrived early in the morning having travelled to Niagara by train. Our tour guide did warn us that we probably wouldn't be able to get into our rooms until the 1500 check-in time, but at least the hotel stowed our cases away in a secure room, so we didn't have to worry about that and it left us free to do the usual Niagara touristy things.

On our return to the hotel at around 1430 I asked at Reception if any of the rooms were available and was told they weren't, but another guest was checking-in at this time and low and behold, wasn't he lucky, because his room was ready! So, at 1500, I went back to Reception and was told that the rooms were ready. Sadly, no one had told the Receptionist how to deal with a tour group and so he started checking us in as individual guests despite my telling him that the keys should already have been done and that all he should have to do was hand the envelopes out to the relevant guests. Fortunately, our tour guide arrived and spoke with the Manager and they straightened things out.

As for the room, it was a good size and spotlessly clean. the hotel itself is in a good location for walking down to the Falls and the various parks around it and, of course, for the bridge if you want to view the Falls from the Canadian side. We ate in the TGI Friday located in the hotel and had a very good meal.

I do believe the hotel and Receptionist were equally to blame for the mix-up - the former should have better training for staff and the latter should have asked for assistance from other members of staff. I think we were unlucky on this occasion but all in all, it is a good hotel which I am more than happy to recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stenolass

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 12 August 2014

It was funny, as we drove up, the GPS says turn here and we see a giant beautiful Sheraton, well, that was across on the Canadian side !! This hotel however is only 6 floors. Our room, 503 was clean, and had a nice comfortable bed, desk, two chairs to relax in. The Starbucks in the lobby was a bonus. The area is adjacent to the Seneca Casino, and a five minute walk to the Falls. Staff friendly and helpful. I used points and felt it was worth it, though I would love the see the Sheraton on the Canadian side !!

Room Tip: None of the rooms actually appear to see the falls, the hotel is too short !!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikeR2011
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here one night and thoroughly enjoyed! we were on the SPG floor so I don't know about the other floors/rooms but ours was great. it was clean, big, quiet and breakfast was good. There are not enough seats and tables in the SPG lounge so we ate standing up some of the time, so they need to fix that. Otherwise great!
location is awesome: casino across the street, starbucks and TGI Friday in lobby, walk to the falls and other fun things. Free parking in lot next door.
We highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank hollythankful
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2014

my stay was great until my second night when I tried to call down to the front at 4am it rang for 15 minutes, thinking maybe my phone in the room was not working.I then tried my cell phone however again faced with the same situation. so frustrated i got out of bed and came down to the front desk. There was no one to be found so I knocked on the counter a young blonde girl came up from the computers in the back she said she did not hear the phones ring, wondering if she was the only one on staff she stated her coworker was on lunch, maybe there should be more then 2 people working in the hotel. I asked for my extra pillow. I saw on her name tag it said Bethany. later that morning when i came to check out around 6am I had a different clerk assist me i believe she said her name was Joclyn and asked if there was anything she could do for the inconvenience of last night it was a nice offer but i just was ready to head home. As i was walking away i saw and heard bethany say to her coworker in a little kid whining voice can you do this its taking to long and im bored.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel. Room was beautiful and very clean. Nice pool and work out facility. Within 3 blocks walk of the falls. Lots of restaurants in walking distance. They glitched and twice have us a king room instead of two doubles, so they gave us a $10 voucher to TGI Fridays, located in the hotel. Starbucks in the hotel. Would stay there again!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Sara H
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I recently stayed at here this past week with my mother and stepfather for a conference. For three nights I came across some good things and bad things about this hotel. First the bad. I had always heard good things about Sheraton hotels, however my initial opinion of the hotel took a tumble when the front desk told my mother that our room was not available yet. I should mention that was around 4:15pm, an hour and 15 minutes later than the check in time listed on their website and advertisements. Originally the woman at the desk apologized and said she would put us on the club floor, however after an hour we just wanted to collapse in our room after a day of driving. Around 5:30pm we went to the desk and she said our original room, on the second floor was ready and she gave us the keys. Yet, at 7:00pm we received a phone call saying our room was ready. We spoke the front desk about this and she said it was an automated recording and not to worry about it. My initial thought was though, if we had waiting for that other room on the club floor we would have been sitting in the lobby for hours! (We could not leave our belongings at the front desk because we had technology for the conference and my medical supplies).

The room was spacious and the air conditioning worked great. However, after removing my covers so I could get all snuggly in bed I noticed stains on the feather bedding! One looked like a large makeup stain and the other was a mysterious yellow stain. I began to wonder what other things were wrong with our room. After walking around the room I noticed too, the large gap under the door. It was so large that if I bent down I could see the two doors across the hall. The shower curtain liner in the bathroom, too, had a thick layer of soap scum on the bottom of it. Not to mention the carpeting in the hallway was stained and looked kind of gross. The wallpaper in the hallway was ripped in multiple places. Even the furniture in the sitting room off of the lobby looked like it had been moved multiple times because there were cracks, and chipped wood all over the coffee table. There was also water leaking in the laundry room on the floor and no one seemed to be taking care of it. During our stay we had to evacuate for two fire alarms. These were not drills these were real alarms. The first was around 8pm and a housekeeper told us that someone burned popcorn in their room. Then around 3pm the very next day it went off again! I overheard someone say someone pulled the alarm, but I don’t know how accurate that was. I should mention that during the fire alarm we could only hear it out in the hallway, barely; there was no alarm system going off in our room telling us what was happening. All we could hear was a muffled siren and some words that I assume said something along the lines of “fire” or “evacuate.” It was so hard to hear in our room, in fact, the second time it went off my mother was taking a nap and she didn’t even wake up from the alarm. My stepfather and I had to wake her to tell her the alarm was going off. Someone could have easily slept through that alarm. It just isn’t safe! Another negative is the hotel restaurant, which is a TGI Fridays. I’m sure for most people a TGI Fridays is perfectly fine. However, my mother has some dietary restrictions and it was difficult for her to find something to eat with the lack of “no meat” and “no dairy” options. I mean goodness even the balsamic vinaigrette had milk in it! Another downside was that for the price we were paying for this hotel there really weren’t a lot of amenities. There was no breakfast included in the purchase of the room, and if you wanted the breakfast buffet you need to be willing to shell out $14 per person, not including a beverage. Honestly, I would have much rather stayed at Hampton Inn (which I have stayed at numerous times and all of the ones I have stayed at are a lot nicer and more bang for your buck than this Sheraton).

Now to the pluses of this hotel. When we told the front desk that we needed a mini fridge to keep my insulin cold (type 1 diabetes medical supply) they waived the normal $25 daily fee. It was also quite nice that they gave us complimentary water (2 bottles of Dasani) in our room. Also, without the stained feather comforter, the bed was still extremely comfortable. They also gave us a $5 food or drink voucher every night we declined housekeeping to clean our room. We used this at the Starbucks, which was again very nice to have, no matter how expensive it was (but that is not the hotel’s fault). I should also mention that every staff person we met were extremely nice and considerate! The people who seemed to be the crankiest were those in management positions. Another big plus for me was that there was actual vending and the prices were not outrageous. I have stayed in numerous hotels that either just have drink vending ($2.50 for a water bottle) or no vending at all. It was so nice to see that the drink vending had water for $1.50 and there was food vending for when we had the midnight munchies. Lastly, the parking was nice. There was a parking lot and the parking was free and we could come and go as we pleased at no charge.

All in all, I would recommend staying somewhere else in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alison C
Commerce, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Beds are so comfortable! I slept so good all 3 nights!! Staff is friendly and hospitable. Within walking distance to the Niagara State Park and rainbow bridge to cross border into Canada. walking across is less hassle than driving. There is no continental breakfast! There is a real Starbucks and a TGiFridays attached but both are over priced.

Stayed August 2014
Hampton Inn Niagara Falls / Blvd
#5 of 50 in Niagara Falls
The Red Coach Inn Historic Bed and Breakfast Hotel
Niagara Falls Marriott Fallsview Hotel & Spa

Been to Sheraton At The Falls? Share your experiences!