“Great Food poor hotel management”

Black Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in North Creek
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We found the food here fantastic, great Buffalo wings and beef on wick. The motel was another thing. Owner/staff unable to determine which rooms were clean and could be occupied. One room was unlocked by staff and we were told there was no key for it. We watched them check in another guest and give him the keys to an already occupied room beside us. There appeared to be at least 24 units to rent here and turned out only 4 were rented the night we were there. Poor management that can not even manage to rent out 4 rooms without all the difficulty. The rooms were confortable however.

Even with the check in difficulties, would stay again if in the area, everyone was friendly.

3  Thank Doug A
Mark O, Owner at Black Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

I welcome your comments as my Hotel experience is limited. Since taking The Black Mountain Lodge over in December last year, I have replaced mattresses, cleaned carpets, remodeled rooms and obtained new bedding and upgraded our online presence. My Hotel experience is definitely a work in progress and I appreciate the reviews so I may be of better service to future customers. As with most North Country businesses hiring good staff is always hard.

Mark

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Two friends and I had hoped to stay right in North Creek for a Friday night before a rafting trip, but the two places we called in town required a two-night minimum. So we opted for Black Mountain. We were able to get a suite (two queens and a twin) for less than what a double would have cost us in town. So that was nice. The room was large, with a table and chairs, microwave and coffee maker and small fridge. Unfortunately, it did not seem very clean. We found a child's shirt in the twin bed, leading us to believe the sheets had not been changed (the lodge apologized and provided clean sheets). There was a fruit loop on the floor by the table and moths on the floor in the bathroom. Curtains were falling off the windows, and dead bugs were collecting in the bottom of the globe light over the table. It wasn't filthy, but it wasn't immaculate either - the details were definitely overlooked. The beds were comfortable and the lodge overall was quiet - we never heard a peep from our neighbors. I was less irked than my girlfriends (who insisted we not leave a tip for housekeeping), but they were not impressed.

1  Thank Scott48572
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Coming through the mountains, stopping to kayak on many waters, we found this gem!
Lodging, meals, campfires and so much fun!
From the minute you hit the door you feel welcome. These "servers" do it all, Two Pat' s were there at 6 pm that evening. The pub is the hub of the motel. Get your room, get a beverage, poured just like we like them, order some dinner!
The welcoming makes it easy to make friends with the other travelers. Campfires make lasting memories.

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
1  Thank Bobbi K
Reviewed 23 July 2014

As other reviews read, we landed at the Black Mountain Lodge later in the evening feeling a little desperate for a place to close our eyes. We arrived as the lights were going out however the bar staff helped us to get a room although this wasn't typically her responsiblilty. Mark was not around and could not be reached so there wasn't any payment of money. She gave us his cell and she took our number. In the morning, we woke with no one in site so we decided to go look for breakfast. When we came back to pay, Mark was back and very hospitable.
The room was simple and dated but very clean and in working condition. My only suggestion would be is to update the bedding.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My friends and I arrived here in the middle of the night with no place to stay, and Mark (the owner) let us stay upstairs in his ski bunks. He made our stay that night extremely comfortable. We went back the next night to the restaurant/bar and had an AMAZING burger and a beer, and ended up staying again. Mark was so great to my friends and me, and we will definitely be back for our next trip to North Creek!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We drove up from the city, and after failing to find a campsite, stumbled upon the Black Mountain Lodge at 2 am. Mark, the owner, woke up, and although they didn't have vacancy, he let us stay upstairs in the ski bunks. It was incredible, and he saved us that night. He was so friendly and hospitable to me and my friends, and I don't know what we would have done if he hadn't let us stay. After some snuggles with his golden retrievers, we headed out the next morning to go river rafting. That evening, we came back to the restaurant for some food and drinks (the burgers and draft beers were great), and ended up staying another night. I couldn't recommend this place more, Mark you run a fantastic business, and we will see you soon for ski season!!

1  Thank Leah S
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Long story, we stayed here by accident. We thought we were staying just outside Lake Placid - our mistake. BUT a happy mistake. I loved this place. Owner is hands-on, friendly -- makes you feel like you are staying at a friend's place. The restaurant/pub was great -- friendly folks, great wait staff, fun and talented live singer. BEST WINGS I have ever had!!! Wished I hadn't already eaten dinner because I wanted to try more of that great looking food. Room was clean and comfortable (just think rustic and you will not be disappointed). I can't wait to come back and ski.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Pine Tree Motel & Cabins
Pine Tree Motel & Cabins
#1 of 1 in Chestertown
Rowe's Adirondack Cabins of Schroon Lake

Been to Black Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!