“Mixed Feelings”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Boa Vista
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Good Points: Excellent Food, lovely staff, endless beaches. Warm Weather., better we found than The Canaries Relatively cheap compared to other winter destinations.
Bad Points: Wine was unforgivable! Absolutely no choice apart from the three house plonks even in the speciality restaurants which was a great pity as it did not do the food justice.
Hotel Maintenance was an issue - many of the cloakrooms had fixtures broken or missing and remained so, The main entrance hall was having work done to the central feature - a fountain I think but this remained a building site for the duration of our stay. Sadly I had a small amount of cash stolen but I do not know whether it was taken from our room or the beach so I did not report it, but the advice of the Reps to lock all valuables and cash away I the hotel safe is obviously sound. The Island itself is desolate but if it is winter warmth you are after then this hits the buttons.

Surprising - The airport is novel - largely open-air. I recommend you allow two days to get through passport control! When we arrived there were two operatives manning a six point station
so we literally had a two hour wait, and I expect the plain-load behind us had to wait longer.There are no runway lights so planes have to land and take off during day-light hours

The Hotel Spa was very good but treatments cannot be charged to the room so be prepared.

On the whole good for rest and relaxation but I think the 4-star rating is questionable.

Room Tip: Hotel is very spread out so suggest you speak to your travel agent if you want to be close to the am...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mary G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,448)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
orkney
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We enjoyed every minute of our 2 week holiday here. Fantastic place, wonderful food , amazing beaches . Nice and relaxing , not too touristy. Only small thing was bar staff down near beach they ignored you , everything else was perfect. Would love to go back sometime as we like going somewhere new every year. Highly recommend.

4 Thank shona M
Norwich
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We've just returned and this is our second visit to the Riu Karamboa, we stayed the same time last year. We love this hotel!

There was actually more room on the plane this time, although if the exit seats would of been available we would of booked them. The flight was under 6 hours & as long as you take something to do, its fine, I really don't know why people complain!

My advice is to not bother with the transfer, jump in a taxi and it only costs 5-7 euros. Also you beat the coach to the hotel, so check-in is very quick.
Also another piece of advice is to get to reception for 8, then you can book in the theme restaurants. We only stayed a week and ate in both the Asian and fish restaurants.

People complain about the food at the hotel, but my daughter has dietary needs, so there is a lot of food she cant eat and she always found at least one thing to eat.

The staff are polite and always say hello. The weather was very hot & humid, so its a perfect destination to go to, to get some winter sunshine!

Finally we've travelled all over the world and Cape Verde has become one of our favourite destinations.

Room Tip: Email the hotel before you go and request a sea view room!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank GoodaTours
Aberdeen
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel is nice but is not 5*. as previous reviews have said the food was good but basic and often you didn't know what you were eating as the food wasn't always labeled.
the pool tiles were coming away and i did stub my toe a few times.
the air condition was poor, it wasn't very strong so we never got that cold hit of air when we went back to our room after a warm day in the sun.

All that said the hotel was clean, the drinks were cold and the weather was lovely but not close to 5*.

Room Tip: you have to book the restaurants three days in advance. Go early in the morning to make sure you get...
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Oh dear Karamboa, just not up to standard. Stayed 3 years ago and were impressed with the hotel and the level of service. Unfortunately, the standards have slipped together with the quality of the amenities.
A great shame as the people are fantastic and the island has great beaches and climate.
The system for booking the speciality restaurants may suit the hotel but certainly is not convenient for the guests.
With the choice that is available from other hotels, I don't think we will be returning.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue M
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The night before I was teaming with excitement as we reached the airport to check are bags in I knew it was finally here, sat in the airport bar with a vodka red bull at 8.45 am my holiday was in full flow,I noticed some people look at you funny when your drinking so early in the morning while their eating croissant and drinking coffee bet they didn't have as much fun as I did on there holiday lol anyway plane ride was good extra leg room I would suggest a must if you have long legs It looked most un pleasant to the people who didn't have it seats aren't so wide either, but it's only six hours so deal with it because the rewards are amazing.
Walking off the plane to the immense heat it hits you like you just opened your oven door and stuck your head in no joke and I had a jacket on and jogging pants on not the best idea ever I think I lost 2 stone before check in, the airport is tiny but it's perfect for what it is the hotel is literally 3-4 mins away you can see it when u get on the coach, check in was fast suitcases delivered to your room and your given your key and off you go.
The hotel itself is huge we got a little lost at first trying to locate our room,but a wonderful maid helped us, after we got sorted with cases we went straight to the beach which is right on the front of the hotel and is monitored all day which was a nice touch,we got to see a beautiful sunset and the stars at night were so clear I have never seen anything like it,the food in the restaurant is great something for everyone and different every night didn't get a chance to go to the other restaurants but people We spoke to said they were very nice all the hotel staff where very pleasant and nothing was to much trouble the way this holiday made me feel was like nothing I have felt before It's hard to describe you have to find out for yourself I recommend to anyone maybe not so much if you have children but for a couple it's perfect also if you decide to go to this location you must go on the 4 hour quad bike trip brilliant I think we got lucky when we went it was nearer to five hours long but we only had three couples on the trip

Room Tip: Email the hotel in advance and request a sea view - they are extremely accomodating
4 Thank Dannyandbecky2013
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a week at this wonderful hotel. I had read some bad reviews prior to going and even discussed changing destination due to negative comments people had written. I am so glad I didn't as it was a wonderful holiday. I think some people moan for the sake of moaning and that is pretty sad really. Food was excellent, such a vast choice that we ate something different at every meal. Desserts were to die for . We much preferred to sit out side and did not have any problems with bugs etc. if you got there five minutes before restaurant opened you could always get outside seating. The staff are truely amazing - always smiling and so helpful. The hotel is very clean and staff are continuously keeping up to it. The pool was lovely and yes some tiles missing but didn't see anyone get injured at all and was no issue. Swim up bar is fabulous and definitely a hit with us. Sea was rough but amazing to see the high waves. On a negative note it was disappointing to see how much rubbish people left in the beach directly outside the hotel. We went for a beach BBQ with giggling gecko tours (see website for details) which was about 20 mins ride away (they collect you from hotel) and the beach was excellent and sea calm so we were able to swim. Check these guys out as all tours a lot cheaper than tompsons and cater for individual needs. Our flights both ways were great - we opted to pay for extra leg room and was well worth the money. They were more spacious than standard seating on long haul flights we have gone on. Flight staff were very helpful and friendly. We took our iPad with films we had downloaded and the 6 hours went very quickly. We had emailed hotel and asked for sea view and we they gave us a free room upgrade with a sea view. Please ignore the bad reviews.

• Stayed November 2013