“Excellent Holiday, didn't want to come home!!”

Clubhotel Riu Karamboa
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Boa Vista
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Well after reading the reviews before we went we were unsure of what to expect. All we wanted was 2weeks in the sun to relax, forget about work, eat nice food and drink, And thats what we got.

Considering the whole plane is going to the same hotel the airport staff were so efficient we were all at our hotel in no time. The check in at the hotel also took no time and we were soon off to our room.

The room was exactly what we'd asked for:Second floor, quiet location, over looking the beach. Perfect for the time you acually spend in your room. The room was cleaned everyday to an excellent standard.

As for the size of the hotel. Why on earth do people moan about the size of the hotel???
Surely those people who have concerns(or like to moan)about large hotels would have read the description in the brochure stating the number of rooms, restaurants, bars etc. just makes me laugh. It was fab having such a large hotel. You rarely seen the same people and you didn't feel overcrowded at all. It looks like a castle as your flying in to the airport (sit on left side of the plane).

The beach is beautiful. Beautiful sea. We did get knocked off our feet a few times by the waves so make sure your a strong swimmer if its choppy. Didn't stop us going in the sea though. People moaned about the pool being cold but when its top end of 80 degrees who wants to get into a warm pool??? Nice breeze (be careful so many people burnt as it was cloudy at times and breezy). Ladies I would recommend you take a long sleeve cardigan for the evenings as some nights the breeze got a little chilly and I don't usually feel the cold. Some evenings you may find you won't need one.

The food was excellent. Something different every night to cater for all. Asian restaurant was my favourite. Lovely food.
Karoke bar was brilliant.(Alan another guest 1-15th June made it by singing every night,everyone loved Alan)

The staff were excellent and worked very hard. Despite speaking little english for some the were always accomodating and friendly.

I would definately recommend this hotel if your looking for a holiday to relax.Its located on 7miles of beach so not a lot to do which is exactly wat we wanted.

We loved it. It has such a wide variety of ages there I would consider going back for my honeymoon and recommend to my grandparents. It suits everyone. If your reading this and your going now we're jealous.

6  Thank gematt2906
Write a ReviewReviews (7,612)

Reviewed 24 June 2009

We got back a week ago and can only agree with those who have written before me.

The Riu is one of the best hotels we have stayed at, but as previously reported by others the First choice 757 for a man who is 6-2 was no pleasure. In fact it was 5 1/2 hours of very uncomfortable flying.

Anyway this is supposed to be about the hotel, so excuse me if I repeat a lot that has gone on before.

The transfer is only 6 minutes to the hotel from the airport and the reps are very efficient in seeing you to the coach. I really cant recommend or complain about the reps for the rest of the holiday as we didn’t go to the welcome meeting as we didn’t want to be sold tours. But in all fairness I believe they were very good.

The reception was quick and we were in our rooms in no time at all. The rooms are very spacious separate washroom with separate toilet, walk in shower dressing table etc.
The double room was two ¾ beds pushed together, also in the room there is lots of draws and storage space.

The food is some of the best we have had. I suggest anyone not finding anything to his or her liking can’t only be described as a person who’s never pleased.

The theme restaurants have to be booked 3 days in advance and you can book every day if there is availability. The Cape Verde restaurant is mainly fish, The African is just a bit more than you get at the main restaurant, but The Asian is very good.

We never had much problem getting a sun bed, and as there were 6 of us that’s some going. I have to admit we never always got a bed next to a brolly, but as we never got to the pool till 10 its hardy surprising.

The bars are great and the staff across the hotel were always helpful. The self-service bars for beer and wine were great and cut down some of the queues for drinks, but we never had to wait to long.

The easy chairs in reception were hard to come by, but we never failed to get a seat near by. We saw a couple of shows, and has already been written they’re not great but they tried there hardest and we had a good time.

Finally I would say I would recommend Boa Vista and the Riu, but if we went back it would only be for a week. There really is nothing to see or to go to. There were a couple of trips, but until things build up there their trips are expensive with very little to see, or so I was told by those who went.

I would also suggest you need very little money as there is very little to spend it on. But would strongly recommend you take all you need re toiletries and lotion as you will pay a small fortune for tem, assuming they have any.

All things considered we really enjoyed and to those going I am sure you will to. If you want to ask any questions I would be only to pleased to help.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank MrTwonky
Reviewed 24 June 2009

We have just returned from boa vista after an amazing weeks holiday. This place is just completely unspoilt sea and sand for miles! The riu karamboa is fantastic the staff are always polite and helpful, be patient as their english is not great but they try really hard.
The bars offer a good range of drinks from cocktails,wines, beers to non alcoholic drinks etc... so a choice for everyone.
The food was great breakfast offers everything from continental, pastries,cereals to full cooked breakfasts.
lunch in the poolside restaurant is eveything from burgers chips, salads, hot dishes,cold dishes again something for everyone, beer, wine, water ,soft drinks and juices are all on tap so you can help yourself to these.
Evening meals in the main restaurant were great plenty of choice hot and cold. Every night there is a different meat on offer with a gravy or sauce to compliment it and a huge choice of salads, veg, pasta dishes, fish, various meats etc... and a mountain of deserts :)
There are three themed restaurants you have to book these at reception we did it the day before.
They are african, cape verde and asian.
We tried the african which was lovely a good choice of food. We also tried the asian one that was also very nice.

The pool is huge its gorgeous lots of fantastic flowers and palms around the area which feels really summery.
It has a swim up bar with tables and chairs in the pool its really good, Also jaccuzi's at the swim up bar area!... Heaven!
Not to mention the part submerged sun loungers in the pool!...Fabulous!

Some people have left reviews saying the pool is freezing! Rubbish yes it is chilly when you first dip in but what pool of this size is not?????!!! its certainly not freezing!
How can it be when it has 30 degree heat of pure sunshine blasting it every single day?!!!
Same goes for the sea its not freezing at all! Its the same as leaving your hot sun drenched sun lounger (which would have the same effect anywhere in the world!) to going in the water its always a little cold at first.

The beach is to die for sand is white and its hard to see where the sand ends and the water starts its so clear, Just paradise.
Sand dunes go on for miles they are amazing only footprints in the sand belong to you! Loved it!
Sea is great fun we had five green flag days and two yellow, On the yellow days the current is a bit stronger, Always be cautious though as the current is always strong.

Boa vista is very windy but its much needed, Infact if it didnt have the wind it would be far to hot to see anything and you would most likely fry!
Take lots of sun tan lotion as these are very expensive in the shop, everything in the shop is very pricey so make sure you take eveything you need with you.
If you do run out of something go and see one of the reps they keep a 'goody box' lotions,spays,shower gels etc that guests have left on going home.

Thomson reps JB, anna and mark are excellent they are there twice a day for 3 hours and have loads of info on excursions.
We did the 4x4 island trip, I would highly recommend it its fab they take you to the capital of boa vista sal rai where you visit a school if your planning on doing this trip take some school supplies with you from home, pens, pencils, paper they are in desperate need as the island is so poor the kiddies are adorable.
The tour guide is great so much fun he just says "No stress" all the time he was brill his knowlege of the island was great.

The entertainment at night is so rubbish its funny but they try so hard you appriciate it.

The renova spa is lovely too it has an outdoor jaccuzi area which is just so relaxing i floated out i was so relaxed, This is a must try out.

The rooms are good and cleaned every day.
Overall this hotel is absolutly huge its amazing and very clean so much to see and plenty of relaxing to do.
Dont go if you want an action packed holiday, do go if you want a paradise of complete chill out and good food and drink :)

I have to say please dont listen to some of the outrageously stupid pointless reveiws that some people have left on this site, If you listened to them you would miss out on seeing an amazing yet to be spoilt island.

Go now before there is hotels built on those beautiful sand dunes!
LOVE IT!!!!!

4  Thank katr27
Reviewed 23 June 2009

I'm from Portugal, where you may find great beaches and sun, but, because I wanted to stay away and rest, I've travelled to Boavista and picked up a place where I could have everything without leaving the place. I went with my husband and my 4 year old daughter. For those who have children I reccomend Riu Karamboa, because they have activities all day and are very nice and educated with children. You have several trips to do around the island, but you will not find very much amizing to visit, once it is a dry island. I've only been to Sal Rei, the capital. It is a secure island. The night at the hotel is pleasant, for children from 20:00 to 21:00 and then for the parents, from 21:30 on, with dayly different shows. The incoveninet of the island is the wind, but it is warm. The prices of souveniers and stuff at the hotel shops are very expensive as weel as at Sal Rei and at the airport. Ther is no risk of getting sick because the water has treatment. The food is ok, but I did not enjoy the Asiatic restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank HoraDeBai
Reviewed 20 June 2009

We have just returned from the Clubhotel Riu Karamboa Boavista Cape Verde and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Firstly the reception check-in was fast and efficient and very friendly, then onto the bar for a drink while our cases were taken up to our room. On this holiday we splashed out and treated ourselves to a Junior Suite well worth it, the suite was spacious and very very quiet, large bathroom come shower room and seperate loo, plenty of draw and cupboard space fridge and safe all included not to mention the King Size bed, room kept spotless all week.
Food main restaurant , was best we've had for some time although we always stay 4 or 5* good vareity, could actually put together a complete meal makes a change. Drinks on tap every meal time so no waiting around, Also good vareity of food at Pool Bar for lunch time snacks if you wish.
Also there's 3 speciality restaurants no extra charge.Asian was the best well worth a visit,
Food available from 7.30am until 22.00hrs Drinks 24hrs and free Bottled Water from reception.
Evening entertainment there's a show, a Karaoke Bar and a Disco all ok.

The Reps are always there the times they say, very friendly and helpful makes a change

Plenty of sunbeds round the pool although hotel was only 60% full not much shade same on the beach.
But you will have to fight alongside the Germans against the Rude Italians as they think they own the whole beach so good luck!!

Things to take,- plenty of Mosquito Wipes and Sprays, TCP, and Antiseptic Cream. if you use Hair Spray take plenty as I had to pay £10 for a can also plenty Sun Oil and Aftersun as these are all very exspensive. there are trips and places to go but thats your choice
Overall a Great Holiday- until the area gets spoilt

6  Thank gooner28
Reviewed 20 June 2009

Having read the reviews of this hotel we decided to go with an open mind. A fortnight before departure I was reminded by First Choice to pay the balance.I asked if the issue with complaints regarding the poor leg room had been resolved.I was assured that I would be flying on a Thompson aircraft that offers more leg room,I duly paid the balance.Guess what! We did not fly with Thompson from Gatwick but First Choice and as the air hostess explained they have always used this aircraft from Gatwick.Please be warned the leg room is unacceptable for the length of flight.
The hotel is huge but as you would expect being so new very clean and tidy and the rooms are cleaned daily to a high standard.The food we felt was excellent and could not fault the selection on offer.However, the first four days were a pleasure to eat in the restaurants,but with the influx of more flights and the hotel at maximum capacity the overworked staff struggled to cope.We dreaded meal times as it resembled a feeding frenzy with so many rude and arrogant people whoose manners were non existant.
The staff are the hotels greatest asset who go out of their way to please and be courteous.Entertainment was ok, but credit to them they try hard.
Trips are expensive but the trip to the island of FOGO was brilliant and not to missed at any cost. We felt the cost was justified just to get away for the day from the isolation of the hotel.
As other visitors have mentioned make sure you take all you need with you because it is very expensive to purchase anything from the shops ie pringles 6 euros! not that you will need them with the food on offer.
One word of warning the wind it can be relentless and in the first week tiring enough to cause headaches,but I am told thais eases in July I hpe the vast amount of flies do also.
We had a good holiday but would not consider going back as no way will this be as they hope the next Caribbean

2  Thank GERRY037
Reviewed 19 June 2009

We went to Boa Vista on our honeymoon and had a fantasic time. We had read the reviews on here before going but we did not experience the negative things some seem to have mentioned about the hotel but would have to agree with others that this is not a 5* hotel but it's not too far off . We would have to agree with other though about the flight. The plane was clearly old and tatty and the legroom was non existance. If that was extra legroom I dread to think how much space you would have normally. To say this was advertised as a Premier holiday the flight did not reflect that one bit. That aside I would not let that stop you from going to Boa Vista.
Yes there is little to do or visit on the island but we wanted a holiday that involved doing nothing. If you're the sort of person who likes doing lots and visiting places whilst on holiday then this is not the place for you.
We never had any issues getting a sunbed near the pool and didn't go out until about half 10 each day so not sure why some people had problems. There was activites going on by the pool each day but only time it was noisy was whilst the water aerobics was going on which wasn't that long. The weather was perfect. There was a constant breeze during the day but it never felt cold in fact if it wasn't for the breeze I think the heat could have been too unbearable. It did get a bit chilly at night so would recommend taking something for the evening.
The food was great. Although alot of the food was the same each day there was that much choice that you could have something We tried all 3 of the speciallity restaurants and liked the asian restaurant the best. The staff in the restaurants were very good my only comment would be that they were sometimes a bit to eager to clear your plates. A number of times they'd be cleaning your plate whilst you were still eating your last mouthful. In our second week the hotel became noticebly busier and on one night we it took us a couple of attempts to get a table in the main restaurant. We did not witness any of the other nationalities getting preferential treatment as some have mentioned
The rooms were ok, clean a good size and plently of storage. Our room was not too far from the reception and bar area but was still very quite. The rooms were cleaned each day and towels changed.
We didn't really watch any of the entertainment as not our sort of thing we were quite happy sitting in the lobby bar on an evening so can't really comment on this. We found the bar staff very helpful and efficient and the service was always quick.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday and had no experiences that spoilt it for us. We would definately consider coming back.

2  Thank becks84