“Paradise with a couple glitches!”

Royal Horizon Boa Vista
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Boa Vista
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Wow what a holiday! We went as a family of four 2 adults 2 girls aged 13 and 16. The flight was as everyone on tripadvisor has described. Rubbish! No entertainment just trolleys up and down. The transfer to the hotel was in a really cute looking yellow retro bus. The thomson rep Dion said hello then left and we never saw her again.the trip took all of five minutes and once we arrived we were asked to fill in some forms and pay the tourist tax whilst drinking a welcome cocktail. Our bags were carried to our rooms which were decent and spacious. It had two big beds and a fridge with a bottle of water. Lots of people complained on here about this but hey if you need that much water everyday when you can get it from all the bars and night club up until 2am. Then you must be ill. Also it is a third world country and the locals dont have running water !!!
We ventured out to a beautiful looking pool area and met two other families with boys aged 13. This was really good as the brochure advertised a kids club up to the age of 15 only this didn't exist!!! Luckily the kids got on great so did other things such as body boarding on the beach. There was other activities such as pool and table tennis but the equipment was extremely poor. The Decameron team(blue and white) did activities such as archery and darts and beach volley ball which the kids did too and had a great time with Juan Carlos especially who made the effort to get to know their names! The French team(red and white) didn't tend to come near us apart from one called Adam. The blue and white shows were fabulous too with incredible dancing. There were morning activities such as stretching and abs exercising. The music wasn't that loud that it invaded everything you did and if you didn't want to listen to it you could go to the quiet pool.
The restaurant was lovely, nicely set out and food very well presented. It never seemed too busy. Tanko was especially lovely every morning bringing the youngest hot chocolate. The food was very varied and suited us all including a vegatarian. There are quite a lot of little sparrows that will jump on your food as soon as your back was turned. the young french people thought this was a good excuse to kick a few chairs!!! we solved it by going and getting food in pairs and it only seemed to happen at lunch time . there were also quite a few cats which you are asked not to feed although most people do.The bars were not busy and it was always easily to get a drink. The staff were lovely and helped us make upa few cocktails of our own. The banana liquor is to die for - with sprite or orange juice.
We always manage to get sunbeds and spent most of our time there. The pool was freezing but looked fabulous. the kids went down to the beach which was only down a slight slope. The beach was incredible, it was a beautiful long clear unspoilt stretch of golden sand. The water was very choppy but if you didn't go too far in it was okay.
It is quite difficult to get around if you're not very mobile as there are a few stairs and the pathways are cobbled.
The night entertainment consisted of a show in the little amphitheatre and then everyone just seemed to go to bed! We went to the nightclub nearly every night much to the dj's disgust. He left by half eleven even tho the club stayed open til 2. We were the only people there!!!
The staff never stopped cleaning and it showed, the place is immaculate.
This holiday was the most relaxing and fabulous holiday we've had. We would definitely come back. The only reason it didn't get five stars is due to the kids club not being there!
Top tip: have Atililo the photographer take your photos.

Room Tip: We stayed in 207 and 209. Beautiful views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank carlrhiannon
Write a ReviewReviews (1,966)

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Firstly about me and my family - Four of us and all adult age nowhave regularly visted the Cape verde island Boa vista and would say quite exerienced travelers to this beautiful short haul destination from Manchester uk.
We have been many times and stayed at both the RIU Karaboa & RIU Toureag
Both of those Hotels are advertised with Tomsons as 5 star ratings and being honest are of a very good standard and in that part of the world may well be worth that rating
Both those Hotels are less than five years old -
The Royal Decareron - Firstly its rated as 4Star .!
I would say that it is very clean and tidy and the housekeeping is excellent however the rooms although very tastefully decorated and regularly maintained are starting to look a little dated and i would say not quite 3star but bordering the rated 4stars
On arrival i must be honest i was not very impressed ,In my mind the place looked quite old and dated and having stayed more than once at the RIU,s i was quite dissapointed when i was in the reception waiting for my room etc
I was given a remote for the TV & Air con and a card type room key and to be fair my luggage etc was taken care of and i was met at the room bt the porter who didnt hang around for a tip in fact wasnt even looking for one which was quite suprising as on all my previous holidays that as become the normal thing...
After unpacking and doing the things you have to do we attended a 5pm Welcome meeting -
been to many but i always attend just to find out the basics i.e Where to eat ,Towels and the other facilitys,The Representative was excellent- i always dislike what they stand for and they always try and treat you like a hidi hi type holiday maker.! irritating..Not on this occasion
Bianca was from Yorkshire ,she was polite,humourous, straight to the point decalred some recent minor issues the hotel had and to be fair basically very down to earth informative presentation...Wel done to her.!
The important things to talk about on the holiday-
Food - 8/10 very hygenic staff,serving areas,eating areas,if you were staying for 14 nights then as i have found with all hotels you are on a two week menu cycle and yes does become repetative,The english style breakfast with shall we say proper back bacon was every third day and wasnt streaky fatty bacon and was cooked on hot plate rather than deep fried
Egg station ,Pancake station cooking fresh every morning to demand..all other breakfast foods were available and plenty of choice.
Day time food - Bit average but very edible and restricted choice on the salads but everyday had either fresh chicken,Hams fish etc..for a chnage a resort than serves more than burgers and hotdogs every lunch time..so a plus point
Evening meals - 4star would be fair and choice of a fresh meat or fish pastas every night and changed regularly,The extra restuaraunts italian and the Cape Verde style food had to be booked in reception on the morning of the day you wanted to eat there but we had no problem getting a table as late as 9am,You could use them every day if there was a table and i would say worth booking them every third day or so just for a change,they wasnt anything of high excellence however was very nice standards.

Staff -9/10 All decent people and as most hotels you do get to see one or more of the waiters or bar staff regularly and you do bond with them throughout your stay,i would say that all the staff are great but you always get the odd grumpy one at any hotel,on this occasion we didnt have any grumpys ones so i can only recomend good things.

Drinks- 8/10 Bit dissapointed that the botteles of water was 2euros and wasnt included in our all inclusive deal however the rep expalined that the hotel didnt profit from this as the funds were given to support the local children and charity etc
I believed that as i saw the manager on my stay he was very hands on and spend lots of time with guests but more importantly with the staff actually doing the job with them.!
The all inclusive alchaol drinks were above average qulity and to be fair was better lager/beer than the RIU,s i had stopped in -didnt taste diluted and wasnt too gassy.!
the spirits was included but local brands .!
A small tip at the bar occasionally got you upgraded to the branded stuff..
11 night stay we tipped around ten euros but probably went through a bottle of smirnoff Vodka
And we are not big drinkers.!Cocktails shorts ,mixers and ice all great and no issues

Pool -10/10 All the pools were very clean and tidy and to be fair there couldnt be a fault found
Sunbeds- 8/10 Super beds however on our second week when it got a little busier you had to be up at 8 to get a sunbed-No where near as bad as most places including the RIU,s
But limited,the hotel also had several shaded four poster type sunbeds around the pool which was good for families and couples to use.
Towel service 2/10 Not the end of the world sort of speak but small quite well used free towels were changed daily..not the best but always fresh and clean
beach - 9/10 i can tell beach lovers that this hotel has a great frontage and quite easily beats both the RIU,s with very clean golden sands and proper shaded sunbeds
No problem getting one most times of the day..
you can walk past the Karaboa which is about 10minutes away..i walk with my ipod everyday on the beach and to be honest was really pleased i wasnt staying at the RIU purely based on what i saw,The beach isnt as nice on the frontage but the pool areas were jam packed and the sunbeds were just too close together.!
Things have changed since i stayed there last October...too noisey,too busling and overcrowded,i go on holiday to relax...!
I went to the RD hotel being honest for two resons ..
The dates because i couldnt do my usual 14 nights
The price - The Riu k was £280 per person more...Im not poor but for the £560 i saved for me and the wife versus the slight drop in standard was an absolute bargain..!

The main key difference was we was treat very well and i never felt like just a number
The Rius are huge,but you are just a number on most occasions in addition the food halls feel like canteens rather than restaraunts

To summarise- You get a four star hotel,very clean and tidy ,a few rough edges but a very friendly group of people who geneuinely want you to be thier guests and they will look after your every need...slightly better than average although as i stated better than three starsbodering four..would recommend a great value for money holiday

Mr Platt - West Yorkshire

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank doug p
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Exceeded expectations! Beautiful island, great hotel, fantastic food and wonderful trips thanks to giggling geckos, read more for positive and hopefully helpful tips.

My fiancé and I booked 2 weeks at the royal decameron in order to completely unwind.

After reading a few negative reviews on tripadvisor I did not know what to expect but I am pleased to say the holiday exceeded my expectations, particularly the food.

It baffles me that people from the UK where we have the most atrocious diets in Europe become culinary experts when they travel abroad. The food in the hotel was fresh, plentiful and varied and of excellent quality. Everyday at breakfast lunch and dinner there was something different on offer.
At breakfast there was always freshly made omelettes, pancaked, fried eggs and everyday a different selection of other savoury things such as sausages, bacon, fried mushrooms, tomatoes, beans etc as well as cereals, a different selection of pastries, fruit and yogurt. The peach jam (or marmalade according to the label) was very nice on a croissant.

At lunch again there was a different selection of not and cold food every day including very nice pizzas which you can see being continuously made which my fiancé had most days. I usually opted for fish, salad and some homemade bread. There was always fresh fish on offer every day which I took full advantage of, I know it would not be to every bodies taste as it usually contains bones and in the UK, we are used to a diet of processed food which does not resemble the source, but I really enjoyed it. There was always a selection of very tasty homemade bread at both lunch and dinner which I recommend you try. Trying things is really the key to enjoying food abroad as of course it is not going to look like exactly what you get at home but if you go for it you might be pleasantly surprised. At lunchtime there was always a variety of biscuits and meringues which went great with the ice cream, again they don't look familiar to what's on offer at home but they are very yummy if you try them.

At dinner again I was always impressed with the variety, in the middle there was always a joint of meat i.e. Lamb, beef, pork which was gorgeous. The island of Boa Vista does not produce much in the way of food so most of it is imported from the other Cape Verde Islands. Whatever meat I tried it was always very tasty! the beef tasted beefy! the lamb tasted lamby etc far superior to the standard fare found in a British supermarket. But of course some of the meats contained the odd bone which puts some people off. There was usually a paella type dish next to the joint of meat which was nice and hot.

Now the temperature of the food which has drawn a lot of negative criticism was not always piping hot, the food contained in the large rectangle serving dishes at the start of the line up was sometimes just a little over lukewarm if it was left to stand. So I made sure I looked out for food which was just being put out and I always served myself from the back of the tray (where any freshly brought out food was placed) and really did not find that I ended up with anything that was unpleasantly cold.

In the main restaurant we usually sat just inside the main door as it was a bit quieter than further in where it was a bit noisier with the hustle and bustle of being nearer the food and larger European families who seemingly looked more comfortable eating together around a table than some of the po faced Brits I witnessed. We also found there was plenty of room to sit on the terrace outside and dine al fresco but it was a bit windy somedays with my lettuce flying off the plate.

Speaking of flying yes there are rather a lot of small light coloured sparrows who are looking for a few crumbs and some of them did manage to sneak into the restaurant so you will find nets covering the bread to try and prevent them eating your food.

We tried both a la carte restaurants which were great and as the dishes were cooked to order they came out hotter than in the main restaurant. You can use the a la carte restraints as often as you like as well. The Italian had much more choice so we visited 3 times. In the Cape Verde restaurant I had goats cheese followed by tuna stew and ice cream which were all nice and different. We bought a bottle of the local wine to try which was nice but you don't have to and you can stick to the wine included in the all inclusive package. In fact what I loved about this hotel is that at no point did I feel under pressure to do anything which I have experienced in other all inclusive hotels. Anyway the all inclusive rose was very drinkable and I had this with most meals. As far as the other drinks, again plenty of variety and very large measures were on offer pretty much all day. If you like fizz go to the managers cocktail party on a Thursday 7.30 ish, you don't have to join in with the dancing just get ready to swoop in a grab glass of bubbly or two.

The Italian restaurant is bigger than the cake verdian so starters and dessert are buffet style, the carpaccio beef and tuna Tatar were delicious. For mains I had a very tasty steak once and a freshly made pizza another time.
All in all I was very impressed with the quality of the food and I would say the variety surpassed many other hotels I have stayed at even those which were 5 star.

Another point which attracts bad reviews would be the 2 euro charge for a bottle of water. As I am not one of those people who feel they will pass out if they don't have a bottle of water by their side I really did not find this a problem. We probably purchased a bottle of water between us every day for the first few days them this slowed down to every other day. As you are never far from a bar which will service you endless cups or glasses of water then you are not forced to buy water but coming from a convenience culture you may feel you need to. The reason given for the charge is to prevent wastage and as a few miles down the road there are lots of people living without the privileged of running water I did not have a problem reaching into my pocket. I was happy that as well as the usual selection of sugary pop they also had diet coke so I could quench my thirst without rotting my teeth.

Around the hotel there were designated quiet areas where we could relax around the pool and read, the noisier pool is where the entertainment team run their activities. The noise from there was very faint and did not disturb us. I could quiet happily read and sleep with that level of background noise. The entertainment team were always smiling, polite and respectful. As we didn't venture on their patch very often we didn't get asked to join in their activities but if we did they did take no for an answer, In the past in other hotels I have felt pestered by the entertainers trying to get you to join in. All of the staff in the hotel were polite and respectful and having been to Egypt recently it was refreshing not to get stared at, leered at or god forbid chatted up. There is plenty to do if you like to be active on holiday it I can't really comment further as I didn't partake but the Zumba class I saw looked like fun! There also seemed plenty for kids to do but again I can't comment further.

The hotel itself was very clean and well maintained, if I was being critical I would say the rooms could do with a lick of paint but they were perfectly acceptable and spacious. In two weeks I saw two cockroaches both of which were outside. We also felt very secure and safe.

Getting a sun lounger in our preferred spot did mean putting out our towels early but as we are not the type to stay out late into the night partying this was not a problem. There was also plenty of free sun loungers at the beach at any time of the day. The waves in the sea were very strong, if you are not. Strong swimmer then only dip your toes in, do not attempt to swim, there was usually a yellow flag which meant swim with caution. I ventured in most days and a couple of time was knocked off my feet by the waves so please be careful.

If you walk out to the beach turn right and keep going for an hour, past the hotel karamboa and past a lagoon you will get to about 4 beach bars the first one is morebeza climb over the sand dune and you will find the sea is much calmer on the other side and you can swim there without getting attacked by the waves. You will also find that you are 2 minutes walk from the capital sal rai. If you don't fancy the walks taxi will cost 10 euro. I definitely recommend spending a day down there having a swim, lunch at one of the bars morebeza and Bahia are nice and walking around sal rai. Sal rai is very small (don't expect benidorm) with a few sovenier shops and cafés. You will get invited to enter the shops by the locals but you don't have to if you don't want to a firm but polite no should shake them off.

We had lobster at more morebeza which was great value and gorgeous. We also went on a Sunday for a BBQ and were treated to generous portions and brilliant live music. Please leave the hotel and check it out

Towards the bottom of the sand dune mentioned above we found lots of turtles and you can swim with them, an amazing experience which costs nothing. On previous holidays such experiences are sold for quite a few dollars.

The free walk into sal rai with thomson will help you to get you bearings (you can take a taxi back). Do leave the hotel, the island is fascinating. Once we got our bearings we made our own way into sal rai a few times (mainly because of the turtles)

We went on two tours with giggling geckos (just google them) which were amazing, whale watching and the full island tour. Unlike Thomson the numbers booked onto the tour are small. So for Whale watching we were very comfortable on the Catamaran and could move round easily and were not crammed in like sardines. The full day tour took us to some breathtakingly beautiful beaches and we had a gorgeous lunch at the morezemba bar. Richard who went out with us was so friendly and knowledgable and went out of his way to ensure we had a great experience. I had just bought a digital SLR camera and as he was from a photography background her took the trouble to show me how to use it, another member of our group wanted to see a football match and Richard rang a bar that had sky sports to find out when it will be on (the office in sal rai, opposite the hospital, which also has good wifi). Before booking trips with thomson please have a look at what giggling geckos have to offer by looking on their website before you leave.

We saw a lot of birds such as ospreys and kestrels, we even saw an osprey pluck a fish out of the sea which was spectacular.

We went 9th April - 23rd and it was very hot late 20's early 30's. The wind meant that we did not get uncomfortable and sweaty so we were grateful for it. But the wind can blow away towels, books and clothes etc if they are not left securely. It was cooler in the night because of the wind so take long sleeved tops, cardigans or shawls. I can only imagine it will be much hotter in May, June, July.

The cost of living on the island is high so a packet of paracetamol costs 10 euro as does a bottle of shampoo or sun tan lotion. With this in mind take plenty of these things with you rather than run out. The thomson rep encouraged us to leave any leftover toiletries behind for 'charity' they did not specifically name a charity and I am not certain that they would not use them themselves. If you do leave anything behind for the maid ensure you leave a note with it (written in English is fine) saying what room number you are in and signing it, otherwise these things will be taken from her when she leaves the hotel.

Room Tip: If you like it quieter ask for a room around the quite pool.
2  Thank Carla N
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Royal Decameron exceeded our expectations. It was small in comparison to other hotels but it never felt crowded and had everything you could wish for. The food in the Cape Verdean and Main restaurant was excellent with great choices and variation. The Italian restaurant was poor in comparison, which was a disappointment. The whole feeling of the hotel was charming with absolutely no stress and all the staff were extremely polite helpful and friendly. There was always plenty of sunbeds on the hotels beach, but get up early if you want one around the pool.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

The Royal Decameron is a wonderful, friendly and relaxing hotel, there was plenty to do if you wanted to join in with activities. All staff were friendly and couldn't help you quick enough with any enquiries you had. In the main restaurant the food was of high standard and plenty of variety, although could of been slightly hotter our rep told us that the French and Italians like their food warm and not hot like the British, true I don't know, but they provided a microwave for your use, I did use it several times. We only used one of the alcarte restaurants the service was good, but I don't think they quite have it right yet, but you can visit as many times as you want. The rooms were spacious and and kept clean we had room 328, a perfect view overlooking the beach and in both directions you could see for miles along the clear blue sea and golden sands.My only problem was breakfast doesn't start till 7am, a few times we were up early and you couldn't get a drink, facilities in the room would be great or the coffee machines be made available outside of the restaurant.
The hotel was very clean, staff were always cleaning and that included the large sun beds on the quiet beach. The quiet beach had 4 poster bed type loungers with curtains on 2 sides evenly spaced out and the main area of the beach had sun loungers and parasols which again had plenty of room between each one and you didn't feel you were squashed together. The main pool had plenty of loungers as did the quiet pool.
The beach bar was a lovely place to drink and looked out over the sea, we didn't really use the pool bar but there was plenty of seating in the sun and in the shade.
In the evening it does get a bit chilly and if you go to the shows in the outside theatre it gets cold and you sit on concrete hard on the backside for an hour. The upstairs bar near reception was the main bar for the evening and had a good variety of drinks, they all did really and made lovely coffee, and had great views
If you decide to do the quad bikes, which was great fun you need old clothes and a scarf to cover your mouth and nose as you do get rather dirty.
Overall the hotel was great and I would go back again.

One last point good for some bad for others - all football was shown in 2 bars and the TV in your rooms.

Room Tip: All rooms had AC, worth paying for a sea view.
3  Thank Wendy L
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The island survives on tourism so most people are more than helpful happy and friendly. Airport transfer is only 10 mins. 3 miles of Tarmac, the rest is cobbled with potholes. Hotel is being painted and improved almost everyday but needs many pool area tiles replacing as many are cracked and sharp. Music is a tad loud at the main pool but there is a quiet pool but no facilities making it even quieter. Clean pool towels are available everyday. Food is excellent for a buffet with many choices, lunch at the snack bar is best with stunning views & freshly cooked fish fillet. Ice cream available at the beach bar.
Trips to go on are Quad biking 4 hrs is best - take a scarf and glasses for the dust, it's gets everywhere, Santa Monica beach Wow go and see it before they build hotels and spoil it. Whale watching is well worth while. Take Euro cash for tips and trips forget changing local currency. For those who must have bacon and eggs, it's there...but not everyday!
Room tip 110 and 111 is well placed, clean and a good size!
I would highly recommend Boa Vista and this hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank steve w
Reviewed 18 April 2014

First impressions of the hotel were not good, it was very small looking, with not what I would call a grand entrance for a 4* hotel, also a surprise when checking in to our all inclusive hotel which nobody had told us was that we had to pay tourist tax for each night we stayed it worked out about 25 pound for each adult for 2weeks which we later found out was purely for English tourists!!

When we got to our room it was a good size with 2 double beds in it was very basic but also very clean, and was kept clean everyday by the maids, the hotel needs an upgrade. Exploring the grounds was bigger than my first impression. The beach is not a private beach but at no point did I feel uneasy, to get to the beach from the pool was all down hill a few minutes walk, but there was the hotels beach bar which had drink and food so you could spend the day on the beach. There was a quite pool which was separate from the main pool which meant nobody bothered you and there was no music, the main pool was big and there is no deep/shallow end it is same depth everywhere, there was also a children's pool for little children next to the main pool. Sadly there was no swim up pool bar to get drinks from. The hotel gave you a card for pool towels which you could change for clean ones as many times as day as you wished. The shaded area had a table tennis table and darts board if you wanted a break from the sun, but be warned it was a mosquitos haven & I was surprised by the mosquitos as nobody had mentioned them for this destination, they hotel did sell mosquito repellent bands for around £5. which would last for 2 weeks, not everybody thought they worked so up to you if you buy, but good on the hotel every night they would send a man round with mosquito repellent to keep the area mosquito free and if you gave him a couple of euros he would spray around your room entrance (well worth it).

There is a bar with outside terrace near reception which offers great views of the resort and beach, well worth finding is also one of the most relaxed bars on the resort.

Make sure you have lots of high factor sun cream because even on windy days you will burn and not realise. Bring a few books or your kindle because you will need them to amuse you at times.

In the buffet restaurant the food was always well cooked and presented, along with a good choice of food from various parts of the world to suit even the most fussy eater (hubby), if you fancy something different or being waited on then you can pre-book the Italian restaurant which is basically on the sea front with great views, or the other restaurant which was always fully booked so never tried but on the menu was what I would call local food.

The hotel mainly catered for the French, but most of the staff spoke English and were pleasant, the entertainment staff were also very friendly and would encourage you to join in the daily activities.
The nightly entertainment was good even if a little basic and also finished around 10.00pm then there was nothing unless you wanted to visit the night club.
The hotel offered free doctor services when she was on site (reception will tell you doctors opening hours) which I think was very good as no other hotel does this, but then there were a lot of people with cut feet due to the bottom of the pool being sharp in some areas so maybe that's why the doctor was there?
The hotel did offer some excursion which were mainly boat orientated or buggy rides, they also do a free guided walk along the coast line which took around 2 hours but is worth it the scenery is fabulous, and there are some drink huts along the way which are really unique (a beer is around 2 euros and a coke 1 euro) we even saw some turtle eggs which was amazing, you can take a taxi back which coast around 10 euros. We ordered a taxi (sit in the back of an open back 4x4 great fun) from the hotel to the capital city Sal Rai, cost 10 euros each way and is the only place apart from the hotel to buy any thing from.
Very lovely island to visit, beaches like the Caribbean with weather to match, even when it rains it is a quick down pour then the ground dries quickly. The island is very baron and is totally a beach holiday there really is nothing to do but eat, drink, swim, read, stroll and relax, the sea was quite rough and although you could swim in it for that time of year I wouldn't have gone snorkelling.

Room Tip: Near to reception if you are not good with stairs as that is central to the food and pool area with...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family