“Almost perfect!”

Royal Horizon Boa Vista
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Boa Vista
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I visited the Royal Decameron from 11th - 18th July 2014 with my two friends.
Right, lets get the worst our of the way first; the WiFi. Now, I by no means go on holiday just to sit on the internet, but as we have the Viber app, I had told my family/boyfriend to get this app and I would contact them through that to let them know I was okay (my mom is a worrier!) We bought 1/2 hour WiFi when we got there (you have to use this all at once) to contact home and let them know we had arrived safely. The next day we bought 1 hour Wifi, this can be used throughout your stay. I used 2 minutes of it and then logged out to save it, the WiFi never worked again after this. This wouldn't have been a problem if the hotel had just been straight with us, however. We were out on tours to places that had WiFi so we could have used it there, but we kept being told my the hotel 'this afternoon it will work' 'tomorrow' 'this evening' until we had to ask for our money back. Only then did the Reception Staff think to turn the WiFi off and back on again, which didn't work anyway. In the end, they subtracted the cost of the WiFi from our room phone bill which we had to use to contact home in the end.
ANYWAY, that was the only bad thing :) you are greeted upon arrival with cocktails as you check in, guided to your room (the balcony door was open when we got to our room, letting in a huge cockroach, but this was dealt with by staff) and your suitcases are brought to you afterwards.
There was three of us so our room had one bedroom with two beds and a separate living room with a fold out bed (already sorted for you on arrival)
The room was cleaned daily, in fact the hotel was immaculate which really surprised me for a supposed 3 star - I thought we'd find something a little dirty but obviously glad we didn't!
The pillows are literally the best I have ever slept on, I wish I could have smuggled one home with me! So comfortable! All rooms face the sea so you'd be really unlucky if you didn't have a sea view! We requested a first floor room and had a beautiful view of the sunset each evening.
But by far the best thing about this hotel was the food, I by no means expected this kind of quality food from a supposed 3 star! Every morning/afternoon/evening was different (bar the pizza bar always there!). Breakfast was especially impressive I thought, pancake station and omelette station where beautiful fresh food was cooked in front of you. We never experienced any upset tummies from this food, which one of my friends was afraid of. The wine was not to my taste but the cocktails were! Bafana Bafan is the best one, must try!! We must have drank hundreds between us haha :) however, you don't really seem to get drunk so maybe they water down the booze? The service of the bar & restaurant staff was great, they don't seem to hate their job like some of the Reception staff do!
The entertainment team were really nice, they didn't speak much English at all but they really did try to communicate with you and still encouraged you to join in with them, although I didn't! My friends did archery and aqua fit between them :) also got up and danced with them in the evenings lol but that isn't my thing really, and they don't pester you much if you don't want to get up..
Overall a wonderful holiday - wanna go back!

Room Tip: Requesting a first floor room will get you a better sea view!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jade B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,060)

Reviewed 8 August 2014

What can I say ,well start at the beginning ,flight went quite quickly,airport small don't wait long for luggage then went to hotel in jeep with the rep Dione had a glass of fruit juice on arrival and checked in ,you are given room key tv remote air con remote card for electric and towel cards ,don't lose these they charge you 20 euros each card we lost ours but some kind person handed them in ,luggage taken to your room for you and hired a safe for 2 euros a night . Food in buffet restaurant very varied I enjoyed everything I ate even for lunch time joints of pork ,beef turkey and legs of lamb ,the Italian was lovely and service all the time fantastic I haven't got a bad word to say about this hotel and would gladly recommended it to anybody having traveled to more than 20 different countries on all inclusive this is in my top 3 and the shows in the amphitheater are fantastic ,the staff work so hard ,well done to all at the Royal Decameron you have given us some fantastic memories .

Room Tip: Room 228 very quiet
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank Christine B
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We decided to book this slightly smaller hotel after previously staying at the Riu Karamboa. There are a lot of rooms however because it is spread over a large area it never seemed crowded, there were always sunbeds free and tables in the evening. The restaurant area was also a lot less stressful than the Karamboa. Most of the staff were friendly however one or two at the upstairs bar were a bit surly. The food was excellent, all areas were very clean however the cockroaches did cause a few problems. I found one under my pillow which was quite unnerving! Views from the rooms across the beach and sea were fantastic also they were very quiet due to being built in detached buildings.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Kostar
Reviewed 6 August 2014

After reading the reviews on here I was quite worried about my holiday!! However it was the most fantastic holiday I have ever had. The flight was fine -only five and a half hours -bring a book or an iPad and you will be ok. I have two boys 6 and 9 and they didn't mind the flight. Got our bags very quickly in Cape Verde -lovely small airport. Transfer was five minutes in a small bus. Only one other English family with us. The hotel is a lovely size. It is much smaller than the other hotels on the island and this is a real advantage. We were in Room 205 which had a sea view and was near the pool and main restaurant.
Check in was quick and easy with a welcome cocktail presented to us. Deon our rep is very professional and a real asset. We ate in the main restaurant for breakfast lunch and dinner. Food was lovely and hot. Lots of choice. Bread baked fresh daily and the pizzas were amazing. No problems with birds inside the restaurant but if you sit outside do not leave your food unattended. Lots of cats around in the evening but we didn't mind too much.
Ok if you want to meet lots of English people on your holiday do not go to this hotel. It was about 3%English, 80% French and the rest Czech, German and Portuguese. In total when we left there were about 9 English families at the hotel. We met amazing French and German people at the hotel. It helps that my husband and I speak French but everyone there made an effort to speak English.
There is a kids club but my boys didn't want to go and in fairness I was glad as I didn't book the holiday to pack them off to kids club every day. Instead they took part in all the activities around the pool. There was archery bowling volleyball dance class darts etc... Lots of exercise classes too. If you want to take part you can. No one is pushy so you can just say no. There are two entertainment teams at the hotel. The Decameron team are in blue and white. They are there for all the guests. The team in red and white are the Lookea team and are there primarily for French guests who have booked through this team. These guests have different wrist bands. The Lookea team are ok. They will say hi to you but that's about it. The Decameron team are very professional. They are very hard working and genuinely nice people. My two boys were made to feel like absolute superstars on the holiday with this team. The shows that these guys of are much better than the Lookea teams shows. There is a show at 9.30pm on the amphitheatre 6nights a week and the show is at the pool stage on Thursday evening. Joan Carlos and Brett were particularly fantastic. The international show is the best show so do not miss that.
There is one huge pool and a children's pool plus a quiet pool. If you have noisy kids do not go to the quiet pool!!if you want a lounger by the pool you have to get there by 6.30 am. There is a security team that monitor the beds and if you don't use them they will remove your towels. I recommend you make the effort to get a bed by the pool at least a couple of days as it is great fun. What we tended to do was spend the morning at the pool and the afternoon on the beach. Now the beach is amazing. Lovely white sand and lots of sound loungers. You should have no problem getting a bed at the quiet area of the beach (on the left of the main area as you face the sea). You can bring your children there as the beds have so much space beetle them. We had a yellow flag every day which meant we could swim. The waves are pretty big. My nine year old was fine but my younger boy swam very close to shore. You really have to stay with your children at all times. Lovely breeze at the beach too.
When we returned on Monday evening we tried to book to go back next year but nothing was available!! So all in all ignore the negative reviews please. You will meet wonderful friendly staff in a clean environment with lovely people from a variety of countries. We never saw anyone drunk or being abusive. Oh we boomed the half day Hotspots tour which is definitely worth doing.
We have all come back feeling relaxed and de stressed which is exactly what we went on holidays for. If you have any particular questions please just ask and I will do my best to answer them for you.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
19  Thank Fiona0123

Hotel Cleaness

Fantactic, the cleaners never stop cleaning!!! - Cleanest Hotel i have been to abroad

Bugs

Take a can of Raid with you and just spray round your door a few times and will keep bugs away - Hotel spray the area everyday but this will detour anything getting under the doors.

There are bumble bee type things, but they dont come near you really.

The variety of the food here is amazing - the hotel has an Itallian Returaunt and a Cape verde Resturaunt and also the main Resturaunt - i read that some people found the food too cold, but i never experienced this plus there is a microwave you can use if you prefer food piping hot.

Food down at the beach bar is ok, just mainly pizza and chips

Pool & Beach

Pool is lovely and so is the beach - only issue we found was that you have to be up early to get a bed whethre its the pool or the beach - Get up at 7am to get a bed.

Hotel has a policy that if your away from your bed for more than 30 mins - i.e go for a walk they will remove your stuff and let someone else have the bed

Hotel Room/Beds

Massive beds, clean adequate rooms - cleaners are in everyday for fresh towels, loo rolls and making the beds. Shower is powerfull and plently of hot water

Staff

Very friendly staff - most speak French but dont let this detour you they will do their best to translate where needed

Amenities

Lots to do during the day like archery, volleyball, Tennis, bowls, aqua aerobics, yoga, dancing
kids clubs.

Trips

We went on the family castaway trip which was an amazing experience, few hours on the Catamaran, then off to a beach for BBQ, Drinks and swimming on the island - get collected at 8am and dropped back at 4pm - cost us for 3 adults and 1 child £250 - well worth it though.

Boa Vista

The hotel is a complex and they discourage you from leaving the hotel unless on a trip - once your there your there and there is nothing much to do - some say Sal is a bit livelier but it depends on what you want - Boa was perfect for us.

Sun Cream/Sun

The sun cream at the shop is £25 a bottle - Take Plenty, we went through 6 bottles (5 i brought with us) and i would recommend a high factor as the sun is hot but its breezy so you dont realise it and then you are burnt.

Room Tip: 447 and 446 - near reception and a great sea view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank gladwinwales
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I travelled to Boa Vista in May 2013, and stayed at the Royal Decameron for 2 weeks.
The hotel was beautiful, spacious and not over crowded. The rooms themselves were to a lovely standard, and were cleaned thoroughly everyday!! The staff were always so helpful and friendly, especially the waitresses in the main restaurant.
For us, the best place to sunbathe was round by the smaller pool so we made sure we put our towels there first thing every morning, this was only because we found the beach very windy and ended up being covered in sand!!
Boa Vista, especially the Royal Decameron, is the place to go if you want a relaxing holiday and a get away, you can travel by taxi to the next town Sal Rei, which is only a short journey at 10 mins. Sal Rei has many shops to browse around, stunning views, and a lovely port and fish market to wander around. The only downside is that you get pestered by the local shop owners, but that is the same all over the world.

We will definitely be coming back to stay at the Royal Decameron!! This hotel should have a far higher rating than it currently has, and is an amazing place to stay especially for such a reasonable price!

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a room that overlooks the second, smaller pool, this means the pool area and sunbeds...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lauren d
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Having chosen to visit cape verde as a post christmas get away we found this hotel and thought it looked ok for what we were after.

We were blown away! The reviews were very bland and didnt do it any justice! The staff were beyond helpful assisting wirh anything they can. The food was incredible! So many options and choices each night. The hotel was so lovely and had the most beautiful grounds and view onto the beach. The pool was nice and relaxing was just such a lovely chill out week! The only thing we were disappointed was all the entertainment and activities were in french and wasnt even attempted to allow the english to understand. But all in all had a lovely relaxing week and would 100% recommend it to anyone wanting to visit the islands.

• Stayed: February 2014
#1 of 11 in Boa Vista
Clubhotel Riu Karamboa
Clubhotel Riu Karamboa
#2 of 11 in Boa Vista

Been to Royal Horizon Boa Vista? Share your experiences!