“Good Holiday”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Sabura Ponta Preta
Ranked #8 of 13 Santa Maria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Hotel Sabura is a very restful place to stay. Very clean, friendly and helpful staff, food average and adequate. Only draw back it is a very windy place. Otherwise we recommend it to any one who wishes to have a relaxing holiday. Pam and Bob W

Room Tip: Very quiet for all aspects.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Still here actually! Pro's: clean comfortable, good food and drink, friendly helpful staff. Staff work hard all day maintaining the accommodation inside and out. Near to town, close to the beach. Town is a 30 minute walk away. Staff English and other languages is as good if not better than island locals, despite other traveller reviews.
Cons: wifi is available but provided by a third party who are crap. My iPad wont logout of a 5euro for an hour voucher and the company blame the devices. Not good enough reception either so check first if you absolutely need wifi. Communicating the mealtimes and all-inclusive stuff could be better but communication on various basic facts isn't confined to the hotel. That is, we found we had to ask specific questions that other destination hotels would give you a booklet on, all in all a nice hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Hotel Sabura is a good low cost option for staying on Sal.

That said, I would avoid at all costs going Full Board (we were B&B) as the dining room has a very depressing ambiance and there are many far nicer places to eat in the local town which is around a 15min walk or EUR 4 taxi trip.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Have just returned from a 2 week stay at this hotel and am amazed by some of the comments. The hotel was spotless, all areas cleaned every day. The staff were so friendly and helpful in all areas. The food was basic but a choice of fish, meat, veggie on every course + they would willingly cook something else if asked. There were no problems with the pool, or pool area. As in most hot countries the paint was a bit flaky here & there but was being repaired as an ongoing project. It was a 15 minute walk to central Santa Maria, or 3 euros in a cab, so ideal location.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank pam t t
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Without knowing - if someone told me this hotel was built in 2009, I would not have believed it. But since I stayed at the excellent neighbouring hotel Dunas 4 years back and I remember Sabura being built . Sabura is run down, tiles missing in the pool, lamps hanging from the roof and rust everywhere. The fire extinguisher was on red and probably not checked since it was once put there. Back to the pool. Beside tiles missing water too was missing. Both pools very only half full! The grass around them was 2 feet tall and tables where missing. We used the pool once then we went to the beach which is truly fantastic. On the first day I enquired the restaurant about the menu and got a list with different dishes but no prizes. Apparently they only have the prizes in the computer! So when looking at the menu you have no idea what it will set you back! The breakfast was, by some distance, the worst I have ever had in a hotel And I have travelled to some remote places in my day. The last couple of days we even considered skipping breakfast because of the lacklustre servings. There were quite many flies both around the pool and in the restaurant, which is strange since there is not really hard to get rid of flies these days. The rooms and the cleaning was ok, but the AC aggregate was placed on the balcony so when sitting there you had to switch it off due to the noise. Not very smart indeed. The beds were rock hard, took me 3 nights to get any sleep. The TV had only one viewable channel, CNN, which mostly was very poor picture quality. The service was not very good, I injured my feet at the beach and limped back to the reception and asked for a first aid kit. They didn't have any! No one offered to try to get me to a hospital or point to the nearest pharmacy. Luckily I always bring some first aid stuff so I could sort my self out in the room. One day we asked for where you could rent a ATV "quad" and the girl in the reception had no idea what so ever! When we asked around town it was not hard to find but still. I think the behaviour if the staff was a reflection of the owner (which we never interacted with, she did not even say hello) who was described by a local taxi driver as "the bad Portuguese lady". I have several other things that was not up to standards with this hotel but I think it's enough now.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank goonerista
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Rooms OK and clean. No shelf in bathroom or somewhere to plug in electric toothbrush. Only one or two members of staff understood SOME English. Most had no idea what you were asking. The lock on the patio door to my friend's room was broken and she was unable to lock it throughout our stay, despite requests to get it fixed. Crumbling walls, overgrown grass, flowerless bushes, flaking swimming pool which was also "out of order" for some of the stay. Disgusting, cheap food, badly cooked, for example, at breakfast orange squash made up in a jug instead of orange juice, very stale cereal which one could not chew. The "Restaurant" looks like a transport cafe with very harsh lighting and is depressing to sit in. We were all inclusive but they ran out of what I was drinking (white rum) and laughed about it with no apology or intent to provide what I wanted. I was unwell one night and Reception had no idea how to contact the local clinic emergency out of hours number. No information in rooms re meal times etc. Only a few loungers which people put towels on in order to keep for themselves. No relaxing place to sit, except upstairs with no bar and which we knew nothing about until a couple of days before we left. The whole place looks run down and derelict. Unsmiling, sullen, unhelpful staff until the day we left and we gave them a tip and suddenly they could not do enough for us half an hour before the coach came to collect us.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Jan H
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Having read reviews before we went I wanted to change to another hotel but it was too late to do so without high extra expense so off we went. So glad we did as had a super two weeks, food was excellent, room very clean, staff friendly and helpful, peaceful and quiet, short walk to beach or taxi to town. And of course perfect weather ! Would certainly go back again. Jenny P

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple