Just returned from a weeks holiday at the Crioula hotel. The rooms were OK, clean, what was extremely disappointing was the restaurant service, the food itself and the staff. The latter never smiled, never said "hello" and as they hardly speak any English were not of much help. The restaurant service was simply appalling - if you were not among the first guest in the restaurant, you were met by unkept tables, full of dirty plates from the previous guests, which you basically had to tidy up yourself if you didn't want to wait around for the very scarce staff for the next half an hour. Finding clean glasses and cutlery was a whole new challenge, as they were usually nowhere to be found. Once you managed to set your own table and find the cutlery and finished your starter, no-one came around to take your plate, which meant that at the end of your meal, your table was overflowing with dirty plates... The food itself was also a great disappointment - the dishes kept repeating themselves and they were mostly tasteless. What was good was anything that was fresh (i.e. papaya), however, it often ran out and they either brought more or they didn't. If you wanted eggs for breakfast you had to ask that they be brought from the kitchen, however, even eggs ran out on a couple of occasions... I could go on, but I believe have painted a pretty clear picture.
Also note that despite the fact that this is an All-inclusive hotel, this is not entirely so. Our travel agent sold as the "blue-bracelet" all-inclusive package, which meant that drinks were only available at the pool bar (from 10am to 7pm), where you could choose from 4 local spirits, something that very bearly resembled beer, water, tea, "coffee" and 2 very sweet and unnatural juices. If you wanted a decent drink, you had to go the other bar (close to the reception), and pay for it. We learned however, that guests with the "white bracelet" all-in package had free access also to these drinks. If you plan on spending your vacation here, make sure you ask your travel agent which all-in package is on offer.
The beach itself was alright, was slightly bothered by some litter lying around (which is understandable due to the constant wind), which none of the staff was bothered to pick up.
All in all it was an average holiday and will definitely not be returning to Crioula hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in June 2000 with the aim to reach to Italian market demand, begins to extend to other European markets in 2007, arousing the interest of many TO, by its location, rooms particularity (large and well distributed), kitchen and general services. In 2014, after a partnership with Thomas Cook Group, associated with the brand smartline, the hotel started a deep restructuring process, increasing as well its capacity. All services are covered, since, restaurants, bars, rooms, pool, reception, anphitheatre, much of which is already completed. A new face of the smartline Crioula will be presented from November 2014, and is already perceptible, which also includes more beverage offers in AI, and more options for cocktails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Crioula Club Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crioula Hotel Santa Maria
- Crioula Santa Maria
- Crioula Club Hotel & Resort Cape Verde/Santa Maria, Ilha Do Sal