“What a dump!”
Review of Hotel Dunas de Sal

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Santa Maria
Reviewed 7 March 2014

For a 4 star hotel this was disappointing. From the outside it looked fine, nice pool, sunbeds etc etc. However the rooms were a different story. It makes a travel lodge look upmarket. To describe the place as a dump would be doing a disservice to dumps! Although the inclusive breakfast was good, drinks were disgustingly overpriced and the menu dearer than would expect in a first world country, let alone an island off the African coast. The claim is that 'everything on the Isle of Sal is imported' goes some way to explaining it. However unless wind or kite surfing is your thing I would stay well clear of both this hotel and the Island of Sal. The only advice I can give to anyone visiting this hotel or indeed this Island is to take a satchel full of cash........ or find a better destination.

Room Tip: Choose a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank gpr
Dunas_de_Sal, Manager at Hotel Dunas de Sal, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear Mrs.
Thank you for your claim. We appreciated.
Indeed the island has some problems of internal logistics and import to get the products which makes it much more expensive. It is important to have knowledge of customer complaints to improve the hotel service. Given the fact that there are many things in tourist terms need to be changed and improved. It is only possible to provide a good service if the customer help, even if the criticism is not all positive.
Thank you very much for helping us improve our quality of offering customer service.

The team

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Hotel is not very special but very clean and quiet. It's 100 meters from the beach and about 20 minutes walk to the center. If you rent a car, you can park front the hotel. On the island they ask European prices for food and drink, also in the hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel does not have many rooms. I think it doesn't matter which room you have. Airco
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Dunas_de_Sal, General Manager at Hotel Dunas de Sal, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Pim V,

Thank you for taking your time to write about Hotel Dunas de Sal on Tripadvisor. Your willingness to share your thoughts is genuinely appreciated.

Our team is committed to provide our guests with the highest quality services and we are happy you found Hotel Dunas de Sal a "quiet and beautiful" place.
We look forward welcome you again at Hotel Dunas de Sal and to have the opportunity to full meet or even exceed you expectations next time :)
Thank you once again for your message.

Hotel Team

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Dunas de Sal is a nice 3 star (European standard) Hotel. The price/performance ratio is ok but not good.

The Rooms are clean and reasonably furnished. The Hotel is certainly not as modern as their advertising suggests...but the atmosphere is nice, the pool reasonably sized and the air-condition is working (which is important in August because of the heat and the humidity).

The breakfast was tasty and changed slightly everyday (different bread, cake and egg dishes). The Restaurant is ok for a snack in the afternoon but compared to the nearby alternatives in Santa Maria (15-20 min walk) to expensive (http://www.hoteldunasdesal.com/dunas_uk/gastronomia_uk.html but I think that they did not adapt the menu to their actual prices...) and of less good quality while trying to be fancy. Do not take a Half pension the town has quite a few eateries to offer and is a safe 15 min walk or a 3 € cab drive away from the Hotel.

The beach is a 5 minutes’ walk away and the Hotel has longhairs reserved for its guests, if you want a drink you can buy one at the nearby expensive (water 3 €, pint 5 €) beach bar of the neighbour ("all inclusive"). The walk goes through a passage that gets really muddy when it rains...the Hotel could do some effort to maintain the passage as its clients are using it to go to the beach.

Dive centre in the Hotel, João is nice and offers a more genuine diving but seems sometimes slightly unorganised...beware when he tells you I'll come in 5 minutes it usually takes much more than that).

In conclusion:

The Hotel is nice if you want to spend a week Diving or do an activity such as Kite surfing etc. and do not spend your days in the Hotel.

If you'd like to spend a week on the Beach you'd better go elsewhere in an all-inclusive Hotel because drinks and food are quite expensive and the quality of the food is...ok ... at best.

An alternative would be the Odjo d'Agua Hotel where I haven't seen the rooms, but had dinner twice

Room Tip: If you are there for watersports ask for a room downstairs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jules_wanderlust
Dunas_de_Sal, General Manager at Hotel Dunas de Sal, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Jules_wanderlust,

Thank you for message and for taking your time to write a review about us.
The team working at Hotel Dunas de Sal is very happy to know you have enjoyed the breakfast and the diving experience.
In consequence of your comments we will definitely review our Restaurant Service and take in consideration your comments regarding the way to the beach.
Thank you once again for your comments and preference.
Looking forward to welcome you again soon at Hotel Dunas de Sal.

Kind regards,
The team

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Excellent location nearby the sea..no sea view...but very lean..design hotel.
Very nice staff, great breakfast,and the food is very tasty.
It's a hotel to couples or to rest, no noise, quiet pool...
Near Santa Maria, 15 minutes walk.
Very good price/quality.

Room Tip: No need to ask sea view, as there is almost none; but, if you can, reserev one of these with "s...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FernandoFMatos
Dunas_de_Sal, General Manager at Hotel Dunas de Sal, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear FernandoFMatos,

Our team is committed to provide our guests with the highest quality services and we delighted to read your review about our team, breakfast and food quality.
Thank you once again for your message and we look forward to your next visit to Hotel Dunas De Sal.

Hotel Team

Reviewed 25 February 2013

In Santa Maria, Isla de Sal, Cabo Verde, probably the best place for kitesurfing during the month of February, it is not easy to find a Hotel that is not massive being good. Dunas de Sal, is not a sea front, but is very near and you see the sea from most of the rooms. The place is nice, well kept, and with a "charm" that the others are lacking. All the staff is friendly and very helpful, except for one of the reception managers named Paula Cabral, that not only lie to us about when the rooms where to be occupied but make us leave at 12:00 sharp, and ask us for the full payment immediately, even when we wear leaving all our luggage in the hotel while we went to kitesurf for the day. She make us look as if we where going to leave, not paying the 170 US Dollars we still own them when we checked out, she probably thought we where leaving behind Ipad, computer, 1 kitesurf board, 2 pieces of luggage etc that we have deposited on the Hotel storage room. Other than this person, the staff is great, especially Vanda Brito, Assistant Manager, that really helped me with with some documents I needed to send, and it was impossible to do so, in Santa Maria.
The swimming pool and garden are beautiful to relax after a day in kite beach.

Room Tip: If you are a kitesurfer, ground floor will be your choice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Angel Y
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We stayed at the Dunas de Sal for 7 nights in early January. The hotel was spotless, indeed the pool cleaner had some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder, and seemed horrified when a leaf sullied his pool! Similarly, the room was spotless. However, into every life a drop of rain must fall, and it certainly did- in buckets! We had paid in advance for full board, but unfortunately, except for breakfast (which was acceptable), the food - and we use the definition loosely, was inedible. Indeed it was difficult to work out whether it was animal, vegetable or mineral. The full board menu consisted of two options, which didn't alter between lunch and dinner, although it soon became apparent that it didn't matter anyway. Food was invariably cooked to the point of elemental reconstitution, and this was reflected in our observation of a deserted restaurant after 2 days... Waiting staff were consistently pleasant, but unfortunately this was little consolation when the chef was in breach of any trade descriptions act that we are aware of! In fairness, the 'standard' of food offered was not entirely inconsistent with that available beyond the confines of the hotel, which was generally diabolical, with few exceptions. Its an awful long way to travel to eat pizza, which ended up being our salvation. How baffling is it that an island which boasts some of the best fishing in the Atlantic is unable to provide fresh produce from this seemingly inexhaustible resource?

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Simon W
Reviewed 16 January 2013

To put is first: I do recommend this hotel, although my review may not start like this ...

Horror on reservation:
I did my reservation at their homepage and found a suitable slot of 2 weeks availability, so I did my reservation online. No response for 4 days, so I was pretty uncertain whether I should book my flight, then received a mail, that hotel was fully booked. So I asked what was their earliest availability, again no response for 4 days. After that the manager finally suggested a date, so we agreed on a 2 weeks stay and I booked my flight. 1 day before departure I received a mail from the manager, stating my reservation failed due to an IT-problem (well, after my communication experiences so far, I guess it was more sort of a PEBKAC issue) and they moved me for some days to another hotel (see my review on Hotel Sabura).

Well, before getting to the more positive aspects, 2 other organizational matters:
For pool towels you have to pay 15 Euro cash for deposit, you can't just sign for it, so don't forget your cash before you go to the pool.
For using the Safe in your room you have to pay 10 euros (its a charge, not a deposit)

Now, finally, the positive things:
The pool area is just great, spacious, nicely planted with trees and bushes, nice rectangular pool (at least nice for me, as I like swimming, so I hate fancy shaped pools).
Really nice building layout.

My room (202) was pretty small (couldn't get a junior suite as the hotel was permanently fully booked), only 1 tiny wash basin fitting for a prison cell, toilet and shower were okay.
Mini bar well filled, shower gel available (unlike the hotel I stayed before)

Beach just 5 minutes walk, no problem at all - hotel providing deck chairs on the beach.

Very clean and well maintained, lots of staff all around and very friendly. Nice breakfast buffet.

A really great dinner kitchen ! Nice to sit outside and enjoy one of the best dinner meals I had since long (I tried 4 course sea food) - you should not miss this !!

So, despite my review's start - it's a recommendation !

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo