“Never so glad to return to the UK”
Review of Hotel Pontao

Hotel Pontao
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Santa Maria
Cambridgeshire
“Never so glad to return to the UK”
Reviewed 6 August 2007

My family and I spent two weeks over Easter in the Hotel Pontao. Having travelled abroad annually for the last thirty years I can honestly say this was the worst holiday I have ever had. I really did not find it a safe environment for my children and feel extremely guilty to have put them through it. The hotel staff were pleasant and made a fuss of the children. The hotel itself was extremely basic and inadequate in many areas e.g. cleanliness, only 5 sun lounges around the pool, no generator in power cut - not much fun I can tell you especially when you can hear the generators of the other hotels and see their lights! We stayed B&B, the breakfast was good but there were often flies around the food which was left mainly uncovered. During the fortnight we were there they dug around 2 sides of the hotel - so we had building works nearly all around the hotel by day and noise from the Pirata nightclub opposite four evenings a week - still can't find in the Cape Verde Experience brochure where it indicates that the hotel is situated opposite a nightclub. The children were so sleep deprived we ended up wrapping them in towels on sunbeds on the beach and letting them sleep there. The beaches themselves were idyllic to walk along but the sea was extremely rough and not suitable for the children at all. The wind was not pleasant either as you felt you were in a constant sand storm. Santa Maria is very basic, a few nice restaurants with superb fish but again not much selection for the children. You do get hassled and I can honestly say it's the only holiday I've been on where I didn't feel safe unless my husband was with me all the time. You feel like your being watched all the time. The landscape is very barren - I can only describe it as an unattractive desert that is constantly being whipped up by the wind and desposited over everything in its path. I wouldn't go back and wouldn't recommend it or the Cape Verde Experience. Can understand how people staying in the all inclusive hotels would have a more cocooned, safe and relaxing holiday.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Location/lack of facilities
    • Check-in / front desk
12 Thank Samson07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Isle of Wight
Reviewed 18 July 2007

We have just got back from 2 weeks staying at the Pontao Hotel (bed and breakfast) in Santa Maria and I thought I'd post some information about it as we couldn't find much out before we left.

Overall a very clean and friendly hotel. Not very old - only a year or so I think. Rooms are fairly spacious with fridge, air conditioning and balcony. Safety deposit box in rooms with charge of 15.00 euros per week to use. Ensuites are clean and in good condition with a hairdryer above the sink. Maids clean and change towel everyday. Breakfast buffet has a good choice (cereals, yoghurt, fruit, toast, cakes, omelettes). Pool is keep very clean.

The hotel was very quiet when we were there (June/July) and there is building work going on around - but there is building work going on in the whole town! It didn't disturb us really. We headed down to the beach most days as it's so beautiful.
I would recommend this hotel to anybody who prefers a smaller place to an all inclusive. Makes a great base for anybody who likes to get out and about and be more independent. As the Pontao doesn't provide evening meals you can sample the restaurants in Santa Maria each evening. Great for fresh fish!

The only problem we encountered was the night club over the road - The Pirata. Music goes on well into the early hours. Take some ear plugs with you just in case you end up with a room over looking it (like we did)! I believe the rooms overlooking the pool aren't affected.

The Pontao is also one of the most reasonably priced hotels in Santa Maria (paying about £650.00 per person for 2 weeks through Portland (agent Thomson). I believe it is Cape Verdian owed too, so at least some money going back into the community and not all to a big International chain.

Hope that helps.

• Liked — Nice and clean
  • Disliked — Building works going on around - but that's Sal at the moment!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
21 Thank zoga