“Only way to see Sao Vicente”
Review of Cabo Verde Safari

Cabo Verde Safari
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is really the only way to see this island - get a guide and let them show you. The island is spectacular once you leave Mindelo, but the roads are non existent. If you really want to see the land, you need a four wheel drive vehicle, nerves of steel to drive some of the twisting narrow paths to the back country, and a map of where to go. The tour will take you through some pretty barren yet beautiful scenery - it looks like a moonscape. You see mountains, hills and ocean that are barren except for a few plants that have managed to gain a foothold in what little soil exists. When contacting the tour company make sure that you will be accompanied by a guide that speaks English - you really need someone who can explain what you are seeing. This is an amazing part of the planet - if you get a chance to see it make sure you do.

8  Thank trainfan2000

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have a friend who works got the Safari Company and enjoyed the experience thoroughly! I would suggest it to any first time visitors to Cabo Verde. You get to see a lot of the island that is less populated and focuses more on that natural habitat instead. This is my fourth year in arow traveling to CV from California and I love it every time!

6  Thank Algixxer
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We took 2days trip to the Island of Sant Antaon with Joan,a tour operator of Cabo Verde Safari.
After we took one hour ferry ride from Mindelo, St. Vicente to Sant Antaon, we climbed up to 1,500m high by car,and walked at some part,along a paved old road looking down the bleath taking valley. The scenery was so wild and incredible.
After lunch at the sea side restaurant, the more amazing place was awaiting for us.
I strongly recommend this tour to whom wants to go far out and to save the time.Joan is a reliable, flexible and a generous tour guide,speaking English, French and Portuguese.

4  Thank Ryuhira
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My wife and I went on a full day tour of Säo Vicente at the beginning of March 2012. It was an excellent tour. Through our travel agency we managed to have João Coelho as our tour guide even if his Cabo Verde Safari is currently closed during reconstruction of the company. João is a very good guide - and he and his driver took us in an off road car to places near the south coast, that most visitors to the island do not even know exist. Vast and beautiful lava fields, spectacular mountains and long empty beaches. Do not miss this tour if you are ever on São Vicente. According to João the Cabo Verde Safari website should reappear by May this year - and when it does, he is expecting to include similar round trips on the island of Santiago in his selection of tours. Going to these off road places was just great, definitely our best experience during our visit to Cabo Verde.

10  Thank niels-j
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Not sure how the safari is but the excursions I did on Sal and Santo Antao were great. Traveling to the islands of cape verde is a fantastic voyage. Cape Verde is pratically untouched my tourism which makes it all the more attractive. The lands are rugged and beautifully breath-taking. My stay at the hotels and resorts were great. I was provided with amazing customer service. The sun is always shining and the temperature is perfect. So, if you are looking for an escape from all the hyped up touristy things and just want to get away from it all and relax, Cape Verde islands are the perfect destination.

14  Thank wanderluster30