If a hotel was ever out of place, it is this one. This Belgian colony in Senegal made me feel very bad about myself. Out of necessity we spent an amount that must be staggering to anyone living in the village. Deciding to indulge in a bit of luxury and not care about money for a day we decided to enjoy it. However, you pay a lot for a rather average room. The rate is several times higher than what Senegalese consider an expensive luxurious hotel. These cheaper hotels offer similar or better comfort. There are plenty of better hotels for a third of the price, just not in this particular region. I guess the reason for its existence is a good connection with Belgian tour operators.
All in all you end up in a European environment planted in a not so rich country, I really felt embarrassed as local farmers, fishermen and their children looked through the fence at all the Toubabs having a good time for an amount of money they simply cannot imagine anyone would spend on a night in a hotel. I felt like I was experiencing how in previous centuries European traders lived on their island, not part of society, but clearly visible and leaving their island only for business.
All this said, the staff is friendly and helpful, the hotel looks very nice and the food is decent. There is a pool, and it looks like a tropical paradise. The hotel contributes to the local community and it encourages its guests to donate. The dependence on such donations in other Senegalese areas makes you wonder whether this is actually a good idea. In general the people are friendlier and less more open in areas where money and goods have been earned rather than simply received.
One more point: yes, this hotel accepts credit cards, but at a rather steep surcharge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a world heritage site. Les Palétuviers is an oasis of luxury and refinement at the heart of the Sine Saloum delta, one of Africa’s most beautiful bays. If you're looking for the perfect mix between the comfort of a luxury lodge and the experience of surprising excursions, cultural encounters and adventure, then you found your haven! As a guest at Les Palétuviers, you participate in a transformative social project. Les Palétuviers works closely with inhabitants of the neighboring village of Toubacouta to allow you to feel part of a family and encourage a fair development of the region. Live an incomparable experience. Our design is both luxurious and creative for a unique stay. Enjoy a 7 meter-high suite on top of a tree with inimitable view, a floating room with private dock, a hut located right in the middle of millenary baobabs or a villa by a gorgeous pool. Les Palétuviers is an experience where custom-made wishes happen in harmony with its surrounding environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Jovago.com so you can book your Les Paletuviers Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Domaine Les Paletuviers Toubakouta
- Les Paletuviers Boutique Hotel Senegal/Toubakouta