“Beautiful and Warm”

Sediba Private Game Lodge
Manila
“Beautiful and Warm”
Reviewed 16 December 2012

We had a four night stay...with two game drives a day so a total of 6 drives. May sound too many but there were special experiences each time that could not be repeated like the elephant charging at our vehicle and the lion eating the head of a buck and the leopard's recent catch hanging from a tree. All of the Sediba Team were multi-tasking but still managed to make us feel special. Rooms were awesome in size and amenities except the telephone system. Food was specially good. Game drivers were especially attentive and informative.

Room Tip: Their internal communication system was not working and leaving rooms at night was a "no-no.&qu...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mabsi

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I think that what I liked best about Sediba was that every employee was a multi-tasker. That is to say, each seemed happy to do whatever work was needed at the time. The waiters were also the bellhops who also did some security, the masseuse was also the room cleaner who also welcomed you post-game drive with a hot towel and drink, the resort manager also took drink orders and drove the game vehicles to drop you off, and so on. No one, as far as I could tell, did just one job at Sediba. It's an interesting model, and in my opinion it made the staff more invested in a guest's total experience at Sediba. I liked it.

The cabins were beautiful, and the food was simply made but delicious every time. There are, however, two major flaws that prevent me from giving Sediba a 5/5 ranking.
1. Every cabin's bathroom is integrated into the rest of the cabin. That is to say, it's an open bathroom area, exposed to the rest of the cabin, save the toilet. Although the cabin is large and L-shaped, so in theory you could be showering and have privacy as long as the other person stays put on the other side of the L, I still didn't like that. I stayed with my parents and am old enough to want some privacy when naked, but they are young enough to not want to have to sit in one spot and not move while I bathed. Sediba assumes that romantic couples or those comfortable with their bodies are the only guests, but they aren't. I think they should provide screens on request that people may use to cover the shower area or tub area from the rest of the cabin's residents. In the end, I exiled my parents for half an hour every morning, which was not entirely inconvenient, but far from ideal for them.
2. If you are afraid of insects, Sediba is not for you. We are from a third world country, and though not afraid of insects, the volume of those inside the cabin at night was ridiculous. They must have been coming in through some gap between the thatched roof and the structure itself. Moths and mosquitoes were the biggest issues, and these bad boys were not the type of "I'll leave you alone if you leave me alone" types of insects. Full on attacks! My first night I could barely sleep with all the moths fluttering onto my face. I spent the remaining evenings budgeting 20 minutes with a rolled up magazine swatting those I could. I think providing mosquito nets for beds in the evening would be of tremendous help. Mere bug sprays were insufficient to deal with the issue.

Game drives were good fun, and even after 2 weeks of them at other locations, there was still adventures to be had at this reserve. I think I enjoyed my game drives here more than any other location in my South African trip.

Room Tip: There are two cabins closer to the lodge that involve walking down to an elevated wooden platform an...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank melvrs
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We had a 2 night stay at Sediba. It was the most awesome trip.The room size just blew our minds away. It is approx. 125 sqm and each room has its very own private jacuzzi.Its the perfect place for honeymooners or for couples in need of some quality time together. During the 2 night stay, we went on 4 game drives which was approximately 18 hours in total and on every drive, we saw different animals. We were also lucky enough to see a leopard. The food is incredible and the boma experience at this lodge is like no other. The only shlep is the drive to the place, the 17km gravel road is a bit hectic so its preferably to take a landcruiser or helicopter, if you can afford to. Definitely looking forward to going back there again.

Room Tip: Every room is totally awesome with its own private jacuzzi so no worries.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Monica H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2012

A beautiful property.......................no management, Basil Fawlty would be at home here. 5 star lodge but no staff or service. Game drive appalling bordering on dangerous.. Food reminiscent of school dinners....sponge pudding and bought custard!!!! At these prices. Avoid.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jennifer F
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We took our 3 children here for their first game reserve experience as it was a malaria free area, and had the most amazing time! Victor was our guide and he was amazing, his knowledge was fantastic and he was so helpful and good at tracking the animals! The food was incredible, we felt like royalty as we had the entire place to ourselves! The room was massive and beautiful and all the staff were fantastic! I would highly recommend it, could not fault a single thing!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lauren219
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We arrived at this resort and was picked up at the gate by Sam, who would be our ranger for the game drives. He was very friendly and informative.
When we arrived at the hotel we were greated with a very special Sediba welcome, which you have to experience for yourself, so i wont reveal it here!
We been to a lot of game lodges in South Africa, and I can say that the rooms are the most spectacular I have ever seen. I cant see how they can be any better. They come with everything you can expect from a luxury room, including a jacuzzi on the deck with amazing views and a outdoor shower!
The game drives were good and we saw a lot of animals. Not the best I have been on but above average.
The food is very nice, and staff friendly and helpful.
Daisy did a excellent job as hostess and made us feel very welcome.

Room Tip: Be nice to Daisy!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank AislinnMumu
Funchal, Portugal
Reviewed 5 March 2011

The moment Daisy wellcomed us to Sediba, we felt that we were going to have a very special weekend. There are no words to describe the quality of the service, the size of the room and the divine meals, in particular the dinner at the boma. Just amazing. All staff were spectacular and would like to Thank Stephan for all his expertise on the game rides. Hope to return one day.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
#2 of 36 in Vaalwater
Fifty Seven Waterberg
Fifty Seven Waterberg
#6 of 16 in Welgevonden Game Reserve

Been to Sediba Private Game Lodge? Share your experiences!