“Unbelievable Experience!”
Review of Nedile Lodge

Nedile Lodge
Reviewed 1 July 2012

From the moment we arrived we were greeted with warm friendly faces and a sense of complete luxury. Nedile is a cosy and intimate environment that offers amazing service and an incredible bushveld experience. David, the game ranger/host, provided us with insightful game drives and outstanding hospitality. The rooms were on-point with any luxury resort in the country and the amenable staff members make the experience unforgettable. Nedile provides the perfect city getaway to make one forget the stresses of everyday life. The food complemented our incredibe experience, from the delicious desserts to the mouth-watering main dishes. The conversations enjoyed around the fire-place on a freezing Winter's evening made for a great memory. Although the game drives were freezing the snacks, hot beverages and sufficient blankets were enough to take our minds off the cold and not to mention the steaming hot hand towels we received on return.

All in all we would recommend Nedile as the perfect couple's get-away and we would definitely return in a heartbeat. Thank you Nedile for making it an UNBELIEVABLE EXPERIENCE!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Leron A

Reviewed 7 June 2012

You can take all types and varieties of safari trips, in all ranges of accomodation, level of luxury, and cost. Nedile Lodge offered us the unique combination of a very high level of luxury for a very afforable price.

Let's start out with luxury. Where else can you say with a 5-star rated South Africa safari lodge rating that "we rented out the whole place to ourselves"?! We really did, just like the Hollywood A-listers do. Mid-week schedule and a stay during the recent winter season put the two of us in a position where we were the only guests at the lodge and had "the run of the place". Now depending on your stay and time of year, this was a novelty, but even when the place is complete sold out, there are only 5 individual rooms resulting in a peak occupancy of about 10 persons.

The lodge amentities in themselves make you wonder why you'd really want to get up at 6AM and leave for a game drive. The rooms are very large, very personalized, very secluded, and very wonderful. Plus the complete back side of each room opens up to the most beautiful view of the Welgevonden Game Reserve. The location is high up on the hillside so you look down and have a superior view of any of the other area lodges. The pictures I took of the lodge don't do justice so you might want to look on the Nedile website and they really do reflect the wonderfulness of the accomodations.

Our room (and I think each one) had a huge soaker tube right along a massive window pane that looks out over the valley. There are also both indoor and ourdoor showers. There's nothing like taking an outdoor shower with such a wonderful back drop. Those a bit timid may at first be too shy but the absolute seclusion of your room allows you to break that resistance quickly.

And then there's the food. A wonderful full English breakfast after the morning Game drive is the perfect way to start off each day. However, if you'd like something either lighter or different, Anika is perfectly willing and able to meet your needs. The starter fruit, meat, cheese, and yogurt are already more than enough to normally meet your morning fuel needs, but add on eggs, toast, bangers, and tomatoes...ah....culinary heaven. And after what seems like minutes after you've finished such a substantial and proper breakfast, they're right there ready to offer lunch!! May goodness, we must ave put on 10 pounds just in the two days we stayed there!

Dinner on each of our two days was truely remarkable. With just the two of us at the inn, we received both extremely personalized attention while still being granted our privacy and intimacy. The lodge's chef prepared on the first night the most wonderful grilled butterfish I've every had the pleasure to have consumed. Moist and firm, absolutely on par with the finer seafood restaurants throughout the world. Add deserts, homemade bread, all enjoyed next to a cozy indoor fireplace - you couldn't ask for a nicer or more lovely setting.

Game drives on both days were strictly about what the two of use individually wanted to see. But both game guides David and Michael were very knowledgable and flexible, and offered alternatives if we couldn't locate what we wanted to see. I will say that I've been on other safaris with more expert guides but David and Michael more than made up in enthusiasm. One thing that I would like the lodge to consider is to offer off-road viewing. The safari I took in Botswana allowed the guides to drive almost up to the game and provide a very intimite look at the animals. At Nedile, we more often than not viewed game from very afar. Allowing guides to drive closer would give guests a much better view of what they came there to see.

I joked with Michael one evening about a negative review on this site relating to an elephant siting. I'm not sure exactly what the reviewer experienced but I did get Michael's perspective of what happened. We also experienced a similar elephant siting with David on what they term "elephant road". We came across a grouping of about 15 elephants eating (naturally since they do that most of the day) down the road. This was an awesome experience as the whole group moved toward us, sometime not more than a car length way. I've never seem elephants so gingerly move up the side of a rocky hill like they did, but I never felt at any time in danger due to our guide's experience level or actions. David very professionally gauged the reaction of the elephants, heeded the warning signs when displayed, and expertly backed up sufficiently and safely from their path as required, all the while placing us in the most advantageous viewpoint to be able to experience such a unique experience.

Welgevonden Game Reserve animals are limited and if you really want to see more game and be able to check off the "Big 5" list completely, you might consider Kruger. However, we were able to see more rhinos and zebras here than any other safari I've been on. Please who else can say that they came across a Cheetah darting across the road who stayed and watched us long enough to prove we weren't hallucinating!

There are some tips about the lodge and getting to/from there frm Jo'burg that I'll list in the "tips" section. However, if you want to experience luxury in the Bushveldt while feel like and treated like honored guests, give the Nedile lodge a try. I don't think that you'll regret the choice.

Room Tip: They are fixing the road in Vallwater. To that, you should plan on 5 hours if driving from Johannes...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mashatu
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We just spent an great weekend in Nedile Lodge. Staff, location, rooms, food, everything is 5* plus! Our friend celebrated her 50th birthday that weekend and we could not have found a better place to do so. The staff, Anica, Michael & all the others, made this a very special and valuable memory. Welgevonden Game Reserve is a beautiful area with a great variety in landscape. We had a lot of fun and some really nice sightings.
Thank you again and we sure love to come back!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jolandaschooneman
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I've been to some game lodges in my time, and although I have very fond memories of a lot of them (and some not so), I have yet to find a place that beats Nedile. The African bush is beautiful wherever you go, so really its the staff, the ranger and ambience of the lodge which will make or break your experience (and it doesn't come cheap so your decision has to be right first time). Enter Nedile. Wow!
I drove there from Johannesburg airport, which was a pleasant drive, and although some might think a few hours drive is too long, let me tell you, what awaits you at the end of the journey, is so well worth the effort that I'd do it again in a heartbeat. They collected me at the gate and the ranger, a fabulously friendly bloke, drove me in the landrover to the lodge, incororating a mini game drive into what was really a transfer. What a wonderful welcome awaited me. Huge smiles, a welcome drink and a cool towel (it was unbelievably hot, so that was very welcome indeed). Walking into the lodge just made me smile. Not the pretentious, over-the-top designer style like many places these days, but a warm, intimate, incredibly well laid out and well decorated space ....... and then those breathtaking views. . . Gosh! I couldn't help but leave my welcoming party and rush out onto the deck to try and get closer.
Nothing was too much effort for any of the staff. From the beautiful and calming Anica, whose personality is so perfect for us folk wanting a break from the rat race of our lives, to the kitchen staff, who prepared some delectable food morning noon and night, to the waiters who serve in a sort of quiet way, almost like they don't want to disturb the peace and tranquility which surrounds you. Then there was Michael, our game ranger, who clearly loves the bush more than life itself. A game drive with this guy will make you want to come back time and again. And apparently there are guests who do just that. There surely can't be a better testament to the brilliance of a place than repeat visits, considering there are so many game lodges in South Africa. The game drives were simply awesome. Be prepared to go back home with bits of fascinating information you will remember for the rest of your life. It's not just all bush and animal talk, but interesting little facts that I found jaw-dropping on occasion.
There's no airs and graces at Nedile - so nice. I hope I was forgiven for treating the place as if it was my own. I fondly remember sitting one morning on huge cushions around the fire in the lounge chatting with Anica. Simply bliss.
My stay was just too short and I did find tears in my eyes when I drove the dirt road back to civilization - not because my holiday had come to an end, but because this place and the wonderful people who work there had touched me, and I knew I would miss them. Thank you to everyone who gave me 3 of the most peaceful and perfect days of my life.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank RGB-J1
Reviewed 14 September 2011

My wife and I had a wonderful time at Nedile. Michael and his wife (whose name is, I'm sorry to admit, beyond me) are excellent hosts. The game drives were always interesting thanks to Michael's wealth of knowledge; and the hotel itself is superbly run by his wife and her excellent staff. Add to this the physical location and design of the hotel and you end up with a superb experience. Altogether one of the best we enjoyed during our visit to South Africa.

One last note: Because the lodge is on a private game reserve, there are rules that limit the number of safari vehicles that can be present at any one sighting to four, so you never encounter the crowd around big-5 sighting that you do in other parks.

Room Tip: You can't chose a bad one.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erik P
Reviewed 19 June 2011

This hidden gem was everything we wanted and more! Fantastic management couple, great staff who went out of there way to spoil us! Game drives were superb, and we learnt so much... Will be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelFundi2010
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We had a lovely stay at Nedile lodge with friendly staff who went out of their way to make our visit a special experience. We will certainly visit again!

• Stayed: April 2011
7 mi away
Makweti Safari Lodge
Makweti Safari Lodge
#2 of 17 in Welgevonden Game Reserve

Been to Nedile Lodge? Share your experiences!