Nedile Lodge
Camp Ndlovu(Welgevonden Game Reserve)
US$905
Thaba 'Nkwe Lodge(Thabazimbi)
US$78
Orbitz.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Shangri-La Country Hotel & Spa(Modimolle (Nylstroom))(Great Value!)
US$51
US$43
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Palm Park Hotel(Lephalale)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe reservegame drivesrooms are bigwonderful experienceperfect servicestunning viewsabsolute favouritecheetah cubsflap jacksslice of heavenhot flannelsa king size beddirt roadsuperb foodoutdoor showerafrican bushhis wife
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 September 2012

If there was ever an award that was bestowed absolutely correctly, then it is this one. Two weeks ago, the AA Quality Assured Accommodation & American Express 2012 Awards Ceremony was held to grant its seal of excellence on various venues in various categories. Top marks have to go to the judges who awarded Nedile Lodge the Best Game Lodge in South Africa. Well done guys! I will watch you closely from now on cause you certainly know your stuff.
Full credit of course must go to Nedile Lodge staff - so Congratulations to you all! I still live with my incredible memories of my stay with you. It is wonderful to know that so many people are in agreement.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank RGB-J1
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I have never written an online review, but Nedile inspired me to tell others about my fantastic experience. My fiancé and I stayed at Nedile Lodge for 6 nights and had a truly wonderful trip. I don't think I've ever been so relaxed! The game drives were wonderful and Michael, our Ranger, was so knowledgable! We had fantastic luck and were able to see all of the Big 5 during our stay! (Please keep in mind that you are viewing the animals in their natural habitat, so there is no guarantee of what you will/won't see). The Lodge itself is amazing. The setting is beautiful, with the occassional treat of animals coming to drink at the waterhole below the main deck as you have lunch. The food is outstanding with dinners any foodie would appreciate. The service is unmatched. The staff goes out of their way to do anything for you that they can. Everyone is extremely friendly and accommodating, making this a place you will be sad only to leave. We highly recommend this lodge if you are looking for the African bush experience. We will CERTAINLY be back.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Joconnell930
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I can recommend this lodge for great service and outstanding staff that will go the extra mile! Service is not what it used to be in South Africa and it is nice to see a lodge that keeps its promises!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BiancaCunningham
Reviewed 1 July 2012

From the moment we arrived we were greeted with warm friendly faces and a sense of complete luxury. Nedile is a cosy and intimate environment that offers amazing service and an incredible bushveld experience. David, the game ranger/host, provided us with insightful game drives and outstanding hospitality. The rooms were on-point with any luxury resort in the country and the amenable staff members make the experience unforgettable. Nedile provides the perfect city getaway to make one forget the stresses of everyday life. The food complemented our incredibe experience, from the delicious desserts to the mouth-watering main dishes. The conversations enjoyed around the fire-place on a freezing Winter's evening made for a great memory. Although the game drives were freezing the snacks, hot beverages and sufficient blankets were enough to take our minds off the cold and not to mention the steaming hot hand towels we received on return.

All in all we would recommend Nedile as the perfect couple's get-away and we would definitely return in a heartbeat. Thank you Nedile for making it an UNBELIEVABLE EXPERIENCE!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Leron A
Reviewed 7 June 2012

You can take all types and varieties of safari trips, in all ranges of accomodation, level of luxury, and cost. Nedile Lodge offered us the unique combination of a very high level of luxury for a very afforable price.

Let's start out with luxury. Where else can you say with a 5-star rated South Africa safari lodge rating that "we rented out the whole place to ourselves"?! We really did, just like the Hollywood A-listers do. Mid-week schedule and a stay during the recent winter season put the two of us in a position where we were the only guests at the lodge and had "the run of the place". Now depending on your stay and time of year, this was a novelty, but even when the place is complete sold out, there are only 5 individual rooms resulting in a peak occupancy of about 10 persons.

The lodge amentities in themselves make you wonder why you'd really want to get up at 6AM and leave for a game drive. The rooms are very large, very personalized, very secluded, and very wonderful. Plus the complete back side of each room opens up to the most beautiful view of the Welgevonden Game Reserve. The location is high up on the hillside so you look down and have a superior view of any of the other area lodges. The pictures I took of the lodge don't do justice so you might want to look on the Nedile website and they really do reflect the wonderfulness of the accomodations.

Our room (and I think each one) had a huge soaker tube right along a massive window pane that looks out over the valley. There are also both indoor and ourdoor showers. There's nothing like taking an outdoor shower with such a wonderful back drop. Those a bit timid may at first be too shy but the absolute seclusion of your room allows you to break that resistance quickly.

And then there's the food. A wonderful full English breakfast after the morning Game drive is the perfect way to start off each day. However, if you'd like something either lighter or different, Anika is perfectly willing and able to meet your needs. The starter fruit, meat, cheese, and yogurt are already more than enough to normally meet your morning fuel needs, but add on eggs, toast, bangers, and tomatoes...ah....culinary heaven. And after what seems like minutes after you've finished such a substantial and proper breakfast, they're right there ready to offer lunch!! May goodness, we must ave put on 10 pounds just in the two days we stayed there!

Dinner on each of our two days was truely remarkable. With just the two of us at the inn, we received both extremely personalized attention while still being granted our privacy and intimacy. The lodge's chef prepared on the first night the most wonderful grilled butterfish I've every had the pleasure to have consumed. Moist and firm, absolutely on par with the finer seafood restaurants throughout the world. Add deserts, homemade bread, all enjoyed next to a cozy indoor fireplace - you couldn't ask for a nicer or more lovely setting.

Game drives on both days were strictly about what the two of use individually wanted to see. But both game guides David and Michael were very knowledgable and flexible, and offered alternatives if we couldn't locate what we wanted to see. I will say that I've been on other safaris with more expert guides but David and Michael more than made up in enthusiasm. One thing that I would like the lodge to consider is to offer off-road viewing. The safari I took in Botswana allowed the guides to drive almost up to the game and provide a very intimite look at the animals. At Nedile, we more often than not viewed game from very afar. Allowing guides to drive closer would give guests a much better view of what they came there to see.

I joked with Michael one evening about a negative review on this site relating to an elephant siting. I'm not sure exactly what the reviewer experienced but I did get Michael's perspective of what happened. We also experienced a similar elephant siting with David on what they term "elephant road". We came across a grouping of about 15 elephants eating (naturally since they do that most of the day) down the road. This was an awesome experience as the whole group moved toward us, sometime not more than a car length way. I've never seem elephants so gingerly move up the side of a rocky hill like they did, but I never felt at any time in danger due to our guide's experience level or actions. David very professionally gauged the reaction of the elephants, heeded the warning signs when displayed, and expertly backed up sufficiently and safely from their path as required, all the while placing us in the most advantageous viewpoint to be able to experience such a unique experience.

Welgevonden Game Reserve animals are limited and if you really want to see more game and be able to check off the "Big 5" list completely, you might consider Kruger. However, we were able to see more rhinos and zebras here than any other safari I've been on. Please who else can say that they came across a Cheetah darting across the road who stayed and watched us long enough to prove we weren't hallucinating!

There are some tips about the lodge and getting to/from there frm Jo'burg that I'll list in the "tips" section. However, if you want to experience luxury in the Bushveldt while feel like and treated like honored guests, give the Nedile lodge a try. I don't think that you'll regret the choice.

Room Tip: They are fixing the road in Vallwater. To that, you should plan on 5 hours if driving from Johannesburg. The road will likely not be completed until the end of 2013 to plan accordingly. We actually drove the southern route as shown on the map they provide you and found it longer, but a much better route as a whole. Plus it routes you through two local towns and gives a much better flavor and senses of Africa away from the big towns.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple