Makweti was a wonderful start and the absolute highlight of my recent African adventure. We were warmly greeted at the gate by Kevin, with the swiftest efficiency bags were loaded onto the jeep, as we set off we brushed past citronella bushes and the sweet smell of the African bush washed over us and transported us into our African dream, the Welgevonden game reserve is a world of it’s own with grassy planes were the buck roam free and lions slumber in the heat of the day, to the rocky outcrops where the Leopards play.
Before we even reached the lodge we were treated to a sighting of a recent leopard kill unfortunately no sign of the illusive predator he had had his fill, we didn’t know at the time but that night his leftovers were doing to give us a rare treat of seeing a brown hyena (our unique Makweti moment).
Being at Makweti is like visiting your favourite friends, Kevin, Melanie and Felie are the perfect hosts it was as if they knew what we needed before we did. The lodges are well designed and tastefully decorated each one offers privacy and its own unique view, a perfect setting to soak up the vista and sounds over the valley, it was a little chilly in April to make use of the outdoor facilities but something to look forward to on our next visit. The menu was a lovely take on some South African favorites portions are generous , the wine list complemented each of the dishes perfectly.
It was such a wonderful experience seeing all the amazing African beasties in a natural setting , knowing that the only thing these animals will ever be shot with is a camera meant I could really embrace the experience with a clear conscience knowing they are safe for future generations, if only all African experiences could ensure this legacy.
On our return to the main gate Ellard was relaying his stories of Africa and his experiences at Makweti it seems every guest gets a unique experience, no two days in the African bush are ever the same, the story doesn’t end here we will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Intimate and luxurious, Makweti has five stone and thatch suites some with private plunge pools. Fine dining and an extensive selection of wines are available. Evenings may bring elephant, lion, rhino and other game right to your doorstep at the waterhole. Safaris in this big 5 area are conducted in open safari vehicles with expert guides. The camp is unfenced, therefore expect the unexpected! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda and Ebookers so you can book your Makweti Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makweti Safari Hotel Welgevonden Game Reserve
- Makweti Safari Lodge South Africa/Welgevonden Game Reserve