“Nice small and private”

Ranked #2 of 168 Hotels in Zanzibar Island
Paris, France
“Nice small and private”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

private swimming pool , private beach , even beach candlelight dinner , this the place for R&R (Rest & Romance). Villa only resort, great bathroom and setup, one wifi and swimming pool per villa, great food , great service , beware still , dont go earlier as planned because it is the same as if you had cancelled and you will not be refunded. Besides, really a couples retreat. Secluded, on the quiet side of the island, kayaks available for close trip to even more secluded sandy beaches.
Day Trips easily arranged but dont run for those upon arrived because you will have a hard time leaving your villa.
All this makes this place a hard to beat combination anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: Villas 4 to 7
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveller2KD
Katherine K, General Manager at Zanzi Resort, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
We are providing our gusts with a very personal approach and trying our best to satisfy all their needs and requests. It is very sad once our clients are coming one day later than indicated in reservation by their own reasons (miss the flight etc). According to our policy no show reservation (even if it is only one day due to flight miss-connection) we are not able to make refund for that missing night. However we are always happy to offer one more night in this unfortunate situation (if we have availability) and we have done it in that case. All the team was very upset that guests couldn't take advantage of our kind offer. We have tried our best to compensate one night which have been lost due to missing flight - unfortunately we got to know about that on the day of expected arrival. We are strongly recommend all our visitors to observe their flights and come to our Resort on the day of reservation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Visited Zanzi Resort after I climbed mount Kilimanjaro. I have seen a lot 5-star hotels in Europe, but this was absolutely one of my best stays ever. Everything will be serviced for you without hesitation and without paying extra. For example a private dinner on the beach, getting meals in your villa or getting tours arranged. Everything will be taken care off in a comfortable effortless manner.
The villa was fabulous with my own pool and private beach. Spacious, quiet, good airconditioned, excellent bed which is prepared to be mosquito free each night.
This absolutely is a paradise which I will visit again.

Room Tip: All villas are comparable
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We have just returned from a week stay and Zanzi Resort and had the most unbelieveable holiday. The staff are amazing, wonderful, helfpul, friendly and full of smiles, and go out of their way to be helpful. Marilu is a hands on Manager and always seems to be on duty with a friendly smile and wanting to be of assistance. We arrived as guests and left as friends. Thank you Marilu for a wonderful holiday, for a magnificent dinner in an exquisite setting on our own private beach. for all the fabulous food and for your kindness. The rooms are fabulous, we had our own private pool which was great for just pure relaxation. We highly recommend Zanzi Resort.

Room Tip: Try for Villa 4
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank joburger985
Yorkshire
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights following a safari in the Selous and a couple of nights at the Mashariki Palace in Stonetown. On the way from Stonetown we visited a spice farm, which was really interesting and a great way to spend a couple of hours. Watching one of the locals shimmy 60 ft up a coconut palm with the aid of nothing but a plastic bag is amazing.

Zanzi Resort is not really a resort in the normal sense, which is why we chose it in the first place. It only has 7 villas and they are well spaced out, all on the seafront and completely hidden from each other. Each has a substantial 8m x5m private pool and a lovely thatched gazebo with a day-bed. The gardens of each villa, and the whole grounds, are beautifully set out with mature plants, shrubs and trees.

The staff were superb, led by the very efficient Katherine. The restaurant/bar staff in particular were friendly and professional, and I would highlight Emanuel who always had a lovely smiling welcome and who taught us to play Bao.

There are no fixed meal times - you eat when and where you want - ago the lovely central tepee-like restaurant, at your villa or on the beach - your choice. In other words the degree of privacy and solitude that you wish is entirely in your control. Various excursions can be arranged by Katherine, bug we just chilled out.
The food is excellent - all freshly cooked using local ingredients. The fish choice is mainly dictated by what the local fishermen have caught that morning and was all superb. However, whoever wrote the "cuisine" section of the Zanzi website really has really gone over the top in their description. I detect the over zealous hand of a marketing company - in fact I would take bets on it! I repeat again that the food is excellent but "expertly crafted and ambitious ...masterpiece of our star chefs.....finest composition of flavour artfully arranged on your plate....most exciting and creative culinary talents. ..exquisite dining experience....a work of art at all levels" - I don't think so! Fine dining in the developed worlds best restaurants would struggle to justify all this hype. What sets Zanzi apart is none of that - it is fine cooking using superb fresh local produce, and that worked for me.

Finally, Gallery Tours who were contracted for our private transfer back to the airport leg us down completely. Despite having delivered us to the Zanzi 4 days earlier, and having given us written confirmation of pick up arrangements, they contrived to go to the wrong hotel on the other side of the Island. Were it not for Katherine rescuing us, we would certainly have missed our flight. A huge thank you, Katherine. And anyone using Gallery Tours - beware!! Their attention to detail is lamentably lacking.

Overall, you must go here - you will love it.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Strian
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I visited this resort in early January, 2014. In fact, my good friend and I arrived on New Year's Eve (December 31, 2013), and stayed for 3 nights. It is a beautiful, secluded boutique resort in the northwest part of Zanzibar (it has only 7 villas). It is between two military properties so it's relatively safe.

We arrived in the evening and were greeted with coconut juice, inside a freshly cut coconut. The staff is very friendly and catered to our every need. There are some hotels/restaurants who train their staff well, although the staff may not be naturally friendly people. It was clear that the Zanzi Resort went out of their way to find staff members who are just naturally friendly and affable. Those who just enjoy people. Then they trained them. It makes a big difference and it was delightful!

Our villa had it's own private swimming pool and gazebo with a bed, with an awesome view of the Indian Ocean. It was very private, secluded and peaceful. The villa was like a comfortably-sized apartment, with a large bathroom and great amenities. There is no bathtub; however, the shower fixture is large and round, and the water comes vertically down. It was heaven. (I enjoyed it so much, I'm going to have one like that installed in my bathroom at home). The towels were not very large; however, we had very large beach towels. The villa came with the typical electronics, but also some DVD movies. The sofa in the living room area faced the ocean. You could also see the outside patio, private pool and gazebo from this sofa. The view was breathtaking.

The food was fantastic during our entire stay. Most of the fruit was fresh, cut from the fruit trees on the property (mangoes, bananas, coconut, etc.). I have very discriminating tastes when it comes to food, so when I say the food was good, it really means something.

The beach was very private and I used it to reflect upon the past year and plan and prepare for the new year. This visit will stay will me throughout the year (and for years to come). It was a great way to year one year and start a new one. The breathtaking beauty of the place, it's quite, peaceful, nature, couple with great food and outstanding staff, made this a truly remarkable new year celebration. I was able to relax, think, reflect, ruminate and prepare for a great 2014. I certainly had an incredible start.

I highly recommend this place to anyone and everyone who comes to Zanzibar!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank drsandrakj
Katherine K, Manager at Zanzi Resort, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you very much for those kind words! It was a very a great festive time and we are very glad that you had nice beginning of New Year!
It's true, our staff really enjoy contact with guests. And because we are not big resort we are trying to make everyone happy during whole stay in ZR.
Thank you once again and wish you all the best!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Zanzi Resort is an amazing resort with attention to detail. Privacy (private pool!), security, luxury and amazing staff make this the perfect place to relax and unwind. I traveled with a friend who is as picky as I am when it comes to resorts. You can eat the food and drink the water (though they provide plenty of bottled water if you prefer). You can be as active or inactive as you want. There is a lot of attention to detail from the amenities in the villa, to the food, to the staff. As two women traveling, I felt very safe which is something I rarely feel while traveling in this part of the world. I wish I could have stayed longer. I highly recommend this resort! I wish every place I stayed was this wonderful.

Room Tip: Private villas- every villa is a winner
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank traveler8188
Katherine K, Director of Sales at Zanzi Resort, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you very much for your kind words. We are doing what we can to make sure that our guests enjoy their holidays the way they like! It is always a pleasure to have such a nice guests! Thank you :)
Denmark
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This place is not your ordinary resort, this is something entirely different. Managed by a extremely motivated manager, this place offers guests something that is very hard to find - tranquility and privacy. The gorgeous villas offer a level of privacy that I have never experienced anywhere else. You can stay a week in your villa and be completely isolated from the outside world, and that is a luxury that is very valuable to many, myself included. It is putting your life on pause for a while, and leave you space to reset and recover from a hectic life. You will return feeling better than ever. Needless to say they have all facilities you would expect from a 5 start resort. The grounds are immaculate, the view is stunning and the resort has an incredible ambiance. For me this was just what I needed. Nothing short of perfection.

Room Tip: I had villa 5, and was very impressed with the view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple