4 people are viewing this hotel
US$252
Expedia.comUS$289
PricelineUS$386
eDreamsUS$386
All reviews private pool prison island stone town private access long jetty absolute privacy private paradise own garden romantic dinner bush babies seafood platter spice farm the entire staff sunset cruise the hotel offers every meal amazing place
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 August 2016

Zanzi Resort was impressive! Prior to my stay, I must admit I was intrigued by the raving reviews I read on TripAdvisor. One review in particular stood out, which was the main determining factor in my decision to choose Zanzi over the other top-rated resorts on Unguja (or Zanzibar, whatever your preference). The review was written by a guest who traveled solo, which is what I was doing. I was looking for a peaceful, quiet place to relax and enjoy my newfound freedom after completing my doctoral studies. Certain resorts have a way of making solo travelers feel uncomfortable, but this guest spoke highly of her time at Zanzi, which I fully agree with.

The resort itself is beautiful. The handful of bungalows and villas sit on a large piece of land. I upgraded my bungalow to a villa and ended up extending my stay from 4 to 6 nights. I wish I could have stayed longer than that. I had the opportunity to view both rooms before making a decision about the upgrade, and while I absolutely loved the bungalow with its outdoor tub, porch swing, and wildlife, the villa's private pool sold me. Having a private path down to the beach was also very nice, although I spent a lot of time enjoying the pool and the resort's activities.

The resort's meals were excellent. Menus are created based on your taste, and any allergies or likes/dislikes are addressed early on to avoid confusion.

What sets Zanzi Resort apart from other resorts is the service the staff provides. Everyone goes above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable and your needs are met. For example, I inquired about suntan lotion because I had forgotten to purchase some before I arrived. A few minutes later, a member of the staff came to my villa with an assortment of suntan lotions from which to choose. That is only one of many examples that stood out to me. Needless to say, I was extremely impressed.

I also enjoyed a few of the tours/trips Zanzi prearranged, including the Spice Tour, Prison Island, and the Stone Town Tour. I didn't have to plan a thing, it was great.

I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed my stay at Zanzi Resort, but I will leave that up to the guest to learn on their own. That said, I highly recommend the resort to anyone looking to escape reality for a bit and feel completely pampered.

And to the resort, I sincerely appreciate your kindness and hospitality. I had an amazing experience, and I cannot wait to come back! Asante sana!

Room tip: Villa 1 is larger and quieter than Villa 6
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank psydr
Kasia M, Manager at Zanzi Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2016

Dear Heather,

You really made our day by writing such a nice review!! Thank you very much for your words and the appreciation you show towards our work.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and we really hope to see you again at Zanzi Resort.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2016

What a lovely end to our honeymoon to spend a week at this wonderful resort! There is a real 'home from home' feel here, partly as there aren't too many guests but mainly because of the friendliness of the staff. It was clear that they valued our enjoyment and went to great lengths to make sure we have were relaxed and happy. At the same time, they weren't too imposing and gave us the freedom and flexibility to arrange our own tours/ taxis and to use various locations around the resort for romantic meals! We were extremely sad to leave.

The villa was spacious and ours even had a jacuzzi in the bathroom. There was a lovely patio outside and we were on the doorstep of the pool, outdoor gym (very fun!) and the spa treatment lodge. We tried the Gabanyoku stone bed which was a refreshing change from the usual corporate sauna/steam rooms you get in bigger hotels.

If we were really picking holes, we had two quibbles: 1) we would say is that for an 'all inclusive' style resort, the extras could be on the expensive side. Coffee after dinner wasn't included (which it usually is at other resorts) and cost $6 for a small cup. Laundry was extortionate ($2 for a single piece of underwear) and I wonder whether this could just have been thrown in for the sake of making the experience more relaxed?
2) Although all the staff were extremely warm and welcoming, service could be patchy depending on the time of day. We had a few times where an order was forgotten or
things were brought in a strange order... Small things that are barely worth a mention!

If you're staying in Zanzibar, stay here! It is beautiful, intimate and very relaxed.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Kasia M, Manager at Zanzi Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2016

Dear Anushka and Malcom,

It is a pleasure for us to hear that in Zanzi Resort your felt like home. We try to create that feeling for all of our guests :)

We have taken into consideration your quibbles and from now on the coffee and the tea wont have any extra charge. Although with the laundry we couldn't do much as it has a very high cost regarding the scarce of resources we have in Africa.
We are continuously trying to improve our service so we really appreciate your comment. We will continue working daily to get better and better.

We will be more than happy to welcome you back at Zanzi Resort anytime,

Reviewed 23 August 2016

It’s hard to imagine a more magical and romantic place for a small, intimate wedding than this boutique hotel! We got married there in early June and everything was as perfect as it could be: The staff was incredible (both in the run-up to our wedding, answering every single question we came up with and also organised a great photographer and make-up artists and stylists who were both amazing) and then when we got to Zanzi Resort, immediately making us feel at home and pampered. We stayed in a beautiful little bungalow decked out with fresh tropical flowers each day with our own pool and secluded beachside terrace overlooking the sea, where the incredibly friendly staff served us our lavish dinners and brunches.
The ceremony itself was beautiful – we got married on the hotel’s tiny private beach, which the staff had lovingly decorated with a beautiful canopy and loads of flowers – and then had our delicious dinner on the jetty overlooking the sea – and after dinner the kitchen staff brought us a cake which we shared with them. In a word: Absolutely perfect!
It was just the two of us (and while it would be perfect for a wedding with a dozen or so guests, this is definitely not a place for a huge wedding) – and we immediately felt at home. ZanziResort made us feel as if everyone truely cared about making this an incredibly beautiful and special day for us. Thank you!
So thank you!

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Mark s, Front Office Manager at Zanzi Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

Dear Michael,

It was such a pleasure to host you. We are very happy that you appreciated our staff and service and also our food! We are lucky to have an amazing team who is taking care of everything with passion to make the stay of our guests memorable.
In ZanziResort we firmly believe that if you put your hear into something it must succeed.
We hope to see you again in the near future.
Please remember we have great discounts for returning guests :)

Good luck,
ZanziTeam

Reviewed 21 August 2016

Our only complaint is that we didn't have enough time at Zanzi! We felt welcome and relaxed from the first minute we arrived....even though our airline lost two of our bags. I can't say enough about how wonderful management staff, Kasia and Sengeti, were in ensuring our every need was met. We were treated like royalty and they went above and beyond in ensuring our luggage was returned to us and even helping to retrieve a cell phone lost in Stone Town! Our villa was wonderful for our family of four-spacious and private with a pool and views of the Indian Ocean. Amazing! The food was wonderful and the atmosphere at the resort was absolutely relaxing. Highly recommend.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Kasia M, Manager at Zanzi Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2016

Dear Carolyne,

Thank you very much for your nice review :)

We are glad to hear that you wished to stay more with us. In that case, we hope to welcome you back here soon.

We always try to make as much as possible for our guests so it was more than a pleasure for us to help you with the luggage and the lost phone!

We hope you had a nice trip back home,

Reviewed 15 August 2016

Occasionally my trips abroad lead me to a holiday destination instead of a fancy city that I have to visit for work. This time, I accidentally ended up in Zanzibar - accidentally as it was my 19 year old daughter who decided on the destination (it was her present for finishing high school with distinction).
Although I choose Zanzi Resort just for the convenience (not to far from the airport, nice location, all services included, etc.), I had no special expectations when arriving. But I was pleasantly surprised in any possible way. The extreme high standards of quality (not that evident in Africa!), the exquisite cuisine, the friendliness of ALL staff, the hospitality of both the general manager and the deputy manager, the "yes we can do that" mentality, the eye for perfection in every little detail (from housekeeping to overall maintenance of the the resort), the breathtaking view from the jetty, ...
It is a pity I can't give Zanzi Resort a 6-star rating. They deserve it on all levels!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Kasia M, Manager at Zanzi Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2016

Dear Marthe and Hugo,

Reading your amazing words I will say; distinction in high school makes Marthe outstanding from the rest and clever enough to choose Zanzibar as your destination so you were able to find and choose Zanzi Resort, we have to thank her!

We are really glad to hear that you had the sense of a 6-star hotel and thank you very much for your amazing review. We will continue hardly working to give all of our guests that feeling.

Looking forward to welcome you back in Zanzi Resort anytime you wish :)