“Good people, Great vibe.”
Review of Sagando Hostel

and 1 more site!
Sagando Hostel
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed a couple of nights at Sagando recently (the end of low season). The guys running the place are really nice and relaxed. They went above and beyond to help another guest who was not feeling well and were always doing nice little things to make me more comfortable (finding my favorite foods for dinner and breakfast without even me asking and giving me fresh coconut when one fell from the tree).

The bungalows were nice, with some unique detailing like the mosaic tile shower in one room. The beds were comfortable with frame mosquito netting (much preferred over the ceiling hung option) and they had additional furniture (bedside tables, shelving) for convenience.

The beach was beautiful and quiet. I would recommend staying here when traveling with other people in low season; I was traveling alone and felt a little nervous on the beach since there are so few people in May. BUT, the vibe of the Sagando hostel/backpackers is such that it is easy to chat and mingle with other guests which was great.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I had originally planned on staying 3 nights but switched it to only 2. I am a backpacker so in no way did I expect luxury.

The place was absolutely beautiful, the yard was kept up nicely and the staff was very very welcoming. The fruit juice, lobster, prawns and seasoned chicken were all fantastic. Our bungalow looked great and was cutely situated in a tree (number 1- two beds). We had a great time relaxing on the hammocks by day and enjoyed chatting and listening to reggae tunes by night. Then bed time came.... so many little tiny ants came into my bed (after much thought realized that they were probably crawling up the bug net and then since they were so tiny, just fell through the holes over top of me.. only thing I can think of) then there was after mouse in our place! A few holes in the screens of windows didn't help that. The staff were great in catching the mouse and patching up the holes so it wasn't the biggest deal. We were allowed to switch bungalows to see if we could have a bug free night. We switched to bungalow number 3. This one was beautiful with a large bed and great hot shower! However we had the same problems with the ants falling through the bug net, there's really no way to help this as they don't make bug nets any smaller.

Overall we had a good stay there, and I can handle bugs of all sorts... except in my bed while I'm sleeping. If you're loving the rastafarian lifestyle and don't mind some ants then this is the place to be! The staff were just great.. Although they don't seem to be appreciated by the main owners which is a shame.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BekkaDee
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed at Sagando on a whim after riding a dalla dalla to Michamvi. We told the driver to recommend a place and he dropped us there. It's a small place with half a dozen bungalows, five minutes walk back from the beach. Despite the staff being extremely laid back the place is really well maintained.

There was one other couple staying while we were there (down season) but the guys still raked the sand, lit the bonfire and laid out candles for us. We spent a very chill night drinking with the guys and playing music on their iPad. They cooked us a decent meal and generally took really good care of us. Prices were reasonable and we really appreciated staying in a place with a personal touch. Good 4.20 reggae vibe.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Campbell M
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

The bungalows are simple, clean and nice. Very close to a beautiful white sand beach (1min walking). The people working there are very cool and nice. The food was tasty. Bungalows are very cheap and the quality was good, i wouldnt expect it to be that good! I will go back there for sure!

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Karima_g8
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed here during X-Mas holidays and had a great time. The room was very nice with a beautiful good working bathroom. Service was the best! Akida was always there to help and gave great service.
WiFi was always working during my stay and the food was good.
I couldn't have had a better place, special for this price.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed for 9 nights in this pleasant place. The room was god value and spacious considering how much other places were charging. Its a short walk to the beach and the resort next door will allow you to use their facilities including swimming pool, beach equipment, internet and restaurantfor a 10 dollar pass which is redeemable on food and drink. The local bus passes the eastern beaches on its way back o stone town which makes it easy to take a day trip to the rock, paje, and other beaches along the coast. Unfortunately, the hostelndidi not have wifi as advertised and despite us asking the owner almost daily nothing was ever done. Also the restaurant was very hit and miss and went down hill after the marketing manager and chef left. Expensive for the small portions given, often most of the menu was off as no one had gone shopping,, we ran out of coffee, butter and breakfast was on rations towards the end of our stay. So good value for accommodation but dissapointing in other aspects givten that there are limited places to eat at night. Also we were trying to book a safari, flights, accommodation in moshi, and having no internet access at the hostel became very fustrating and having to pay 10 dollars each to use internet at the resort next door added extra costs to our holiday.

Room Tip: Room 15 is good
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2013

So Sagando Hostel is a bit of a gem. Locatable by taking the 340 Michamvi Daladala right to the end of its route, then by following the signs all the way to Sunset Beach, Michamvi, Zanzibar. It has a selection of unique bungalows scattered around a sandy pearl and cocount palm garden in a secure plot, ensuring all individual bungalows have a lot of privacy. The staff are super-friendly and their new restaurant serves very tasty and super cheap food (and drinks). I booked for just 2 nights, but ended up staying for a week! Oops. Totally worth it. Around Sagando is stunning sunset beach, yes where you can see the african sunset every night, the world famous rock, about 3km away, the mangroves, the walking trails and of course the secluded beaches. This really is paradise. Love love love Sagando Hostel!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are fabulous. The new twin bungalows with ensuite bathrooms out the back are a particular...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo