“Wanted to buy - literally - everything!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fahari Zanzibar

Fahari Zanzibar
Ranked #5 of 25 Shopping in Zanzibar Island
More attraction details
Owner description: Fahari is a Social Enterprise (NGO) making high quality bags, jewellery and accessories on the island of Zanzibar. All our products are handmade using local materials with expert workmanship - taking inspiration from our cultural melting-pot of African, Arabian & Indian influences borne out of years of trading across the Indian Ocean.By buying from us you will be receiving an exceptional, original product whilst supporting local women build a sustainable future.Zanzibar, the cultural melting-pot of African, Arabian & Indian influences, lies surrounded by white golden sands in the crystal clear waters of the Indian ocean. This remarkable culture now reflects all its fascinating influences with Fahari’s beautiful collection of locally made bags, jewellery and accessories.With the ethical and style conscious in mind, international designer and Fahari founder Julie Lawrence, a highly qualified accessories designer and maker from London with years of experience supplying the worlds’ top designer stores, has trained a team of Zanzibari women, for free, to produce cutting-edge designs demanded by those who insist on the season’s latest looks.Fahari means "to have a sense of pride" in Swahili, the native language of Zanzibar and East Africa; it’s a motto encapsulated by our beautiful products that carry a unique Zanzibari twist.
Poole
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wanted to buy - literally - everything!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Really enjoyed my visit. The team are so welcoming and knowledgeable. I bought a gift for a family member and almost can't wait to get home so they can see it.

I absolutely love initiatives such as this where the design, quality and community benefit hold equal importance in the business model.

I highly recommend paying a visit early in your trip so you can budget for making a purchase - you won't want to miss out.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank HP1001

Sydney
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A unique memory.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I've just purchased a special gift from this unique store - quality items made by locals - drop in for a look - I guarantee you will be impressed!

Visited June 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Lovely items”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

I bought a pretty amethyst bracelet at this shop. There are many pretty items to choose from-the bags are lovely. The owner was very friendly and ,as others have commented, buying here helps the local women.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank SwissW
Fahari Z, Manager at Fahari Zanzibar, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for your support and your review SwissW.
You will be pleased to know that the project has progressed a lot since your last visit - the ladies who were in training last year are now training a new group - thereby making the project sustainable.
If you're planning a visit to Zanzibar again we'd love to see you back here.

Geneva, Switzerland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Gorgeous shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Beautiful handmade socially aware products. I unfortunately could not buy a bad as they are quite expensive but I bought some small cheaper products which are really well made and gorgeous.

Highly recommended!

Visited March 2014
Fahari Z, Manager at Fahari Zanzibar, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hi MariMTC,

Thank you for your feedback.
We strive to keep our products well made to the highest quality standards.
We have a budget range including our FKB4, FKB6 and FKB7.
Please feel free to look at these on our website. If you wish to order one, please drop me an email from the website link and we can custom make it to your colour specifications.

Kind regards,

“Handmade hope”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Habari,
I visited the wonderfully decorated shop by accident. The staff gave me a warm welcome, explaining the idea and the concept of FAHARANI! The
athmosphere of the shop is amazing. Women breading the colorfull material, in the back part one will find the sewers, in between there is lots of open space to stroll around and have a look at the beautiful bags, diaries, necklaces, earrings....
The staff not only shows you around but also is very open for a chat about the women's situation in Tanzania. Furthermore, they are very helpful and spontanous when it comes to individual wishes, for they try hard to satisfy a customers needs. I wished to have a small leash on my bag for I would like to use it as a handbag. The design manager has been called. He tried to figure out the best option for my wish. After a short chat, we found a solution and without charging me more, je just helped me out!! Fully satisfied and with a great respect for this project I happily left the store. Tutaonana!
It is really worth a visit and so is every shilling spent there.

Fahari Z, Manager at Fahari Zanzibar, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Hi Kristina,

Thank you for your review, I'm glad you were happy with your purchase and the solution offered to you by Hasnuu.
If you wish to purchase anything online we will soon have our Etsy shop up and running!

I would like to clarify that by "sewers" Kristina means (I hope) the people sewing rather than actual sewerage....

Best wishes,