we stayed three nights on the Chumbe Island and had a remarkable fine experience.
the pick-up on Zanzibar main island was well organized and we were received by extremely friendly and competent staff when we arrived following 45 minutes sail trip.
we got the two huts furthest away from the restaurant, very well placed and very close to the beach.
the service and food was superb, with lots of fresh sea food every evening for dinner. the coral reefs were very nice and we were well assisted by the instructors. highlights were the many crabs, incl the amazing coconut crabs, the plentitude of colorful fish at the reef , the paradise fly catchers and most surprising the colony of roseate terns breeding on one of the two small islets just outside Chumbe. The difference between high and low tide is around two meters and will determine the activities you plan - fine info on the timing of the tide on the board at the center.
only drawback was the eco-toilets that were not free of odors, but still a great concept with the full eco-approach
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award-winning exclusive private island, fully managed nature reserve and marine park. Guided tours included through spectacular coral reef, forest and mangrove nature trails, historic lighthouse and visitors' centre. State-of-the-art zero-footprint eco-architecture (photovoltaic energy, rainwater harvesting, solar water heating, composting toilets). Free environmental education programs for local schools. Winner of British Airways Tourism for Tomorrow award 1999, UNEP Global500 award 2000, National Geographic Geotourism Challenge award 2008, finalist Aga Khan award for architecture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Chumbe Island Coral Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chumbe Island Coral Park Hotel Zanzibar
- Chumbe Island Coral Park Zanzibar