“Great position but...”

Kendwa Rocks Beach Hotel
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in Kendwa that for me (and all ,I am sure)it is the most beautiful part of Zanzibar.The beach it is a dream!
But...but the hotel is not the best.If you are a person who just wants to stay in lovely beach and looking for a budjet place to stay it is perfect.They have very good price.
But the cleaning isnt the best(bathtoom not very clean and a big lackage in the toilet)the staff isnt so smiling and ,but this was my unlucky only I think,we had the workers for 2 hours in the room upstairs working with drill and hammer which is not the real idea of relax(the hotel wasnt so full so WHY do the maintenance works in a room close to another with guests?!)
Anyway for me was enough for 2 days but for more...I dont know.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank valeuk23

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Pros (I did enjoy the beach in Zanzibar) - Great beach, lively atmosphere, decent food
Cons (unfortunately outnumber the pros) - The location and happy hour bring people to the resort, but handling guests well was not a priority. While the serving staff were helpful, the management were very poor. Beware the volleyball court if you aren't a highly proficient player. The local players intimidated guests who wanted to play for fun. I watched a girl with little skill be attacked constantly with dangerously hard serves and was almost seriously injured by a hard spike. When guests objected, they were told by the local players that they pay for the resort, but not the volleyball court, which is clearly on resort property for guests to use. The beach front manager, who was present the whole time, did nothing about it and the front office manager proved to be unhelpful as well.

1  Thank boxyoyo
Aino T, Front Office Manager at Kendwa Rocks Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback and I’m really sorry to hear you had a bad experience staying with us. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience that occurred during your visit to our hotel.

We try to ensure all our guests the best experience during their travels. Thus we take every complaint very seriously, and every compliment is appreciated. For the case in question, we did have a meeting to make sure this problem at the volleyball court will not happen again. We hope you will see the improvement and enjoy your time with us on your next visit.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is what a man--some kind of a manager--at Kendwa Rocks Hotel said to me. Why? It's all because of this system they have of using a plastic card to buy drinks. (They don't accept cash).

The problem began at the Full Moon Party when my friend, having already ordered many drinks and having had his card handed back each time along with the drink he ordered, ordered a drink but didn't get it or the card back. He waited a few minutes and then became curious. He asked the bartenders where his drink was, and they didn't know. He asked them where his card was, and they said they didn't know. After arguing with them a bit, he went to reception and got a new card. The next day, he returned to reception to check his balance. It was 0--they told him his card had no balance. We thought he got a lucky break, and it seemed like he deserved one after the ordeal with the bartenders.

When we went to reception to check out 3 days later, they had "found" his first card, and wanted its balance in addition to the second card's balance. I'm sure the problem is obvious. There were drinks on the card that he didn't order. We tried explaining to the woman working there, who was very nice and had been all week, that the bartenders had possibly had his card but that somebody had clearly ordered drinks on it. Enter bad cop. This other manager refused to listen. The bill included a mixed drink I know my friend didn't order. I told the bartender that he hadn't ordered it and bartenders had probably ordered these drinks. He said it's impossible. "They have cameras everywhere." I told him (probably yelled, admittedly) that we weren't going to pay and he said "If you're angry, that's your problem."

Thankfully, my friend had every receipt and was able to prove the man wrong. If he hadn't, I don't know what would've happened.

The lesson I learned is that I can take a vacation in Africa, but I can't take one from Africa. A manager in the United States couldn't say that to me. His unprofessionalism makes everyone look bad and left a bad taste in our mouths, which is too bad because all the other staff at Kendwa Rocks are great, especially some servers at the restaurant, namely Arusha.

The beach is gorgeous and they were smart to put sand so far back so that even at the highest of tides people can lay out and play volleyball. They do need a rinse station at the top of the stairs on the way to the rooms though. The bathrooms are filthy just because of sandy feet. The staff do clean the bathrooms every day. They could also crank their refrigerators down 1.5 degrees Celsius. The beer in Kigali is much colder than it is at Kendwa Rocks, and Kigali isn't as hot.

If you stay vigilant with your card, you could stay here. It is relaxing (minus bad cop manager). Just be careful.

Room Tip: Banda room 6 or 7 is ideal for the combination of money, nearness to the beach, nearness to recepti...
2  Thank Steve L

Thank you for your feedback and I’m really sorry to hear you had a bad experience staying with us. We hope you will accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay at our hotel. We had around 800 people at our Full Moon Party, so the bartenders did get very busy.

The manager in question wants to send his personal apology to you and your friend for his actions and any misunderstandings.

We are happy to hear that you otherwise liked our hotel and will also consider your suggestion about the rinse station.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We were terribly disappointed by our stay here.

1) Rooms - we stayed in one of the forest lodges which was supposed to be one the most recently built lodges. Our airconditioning didn't have a remote control, the hairdryer did not work and when we asked them to fix it, the staff tried to fit a european plug into a UK plug! and another one of the powerpoints had sparks flying out of it, the safe was microscopic.

2) Beach and activities - the beach was nice and more isolated than nungwi but I actually thought the beach in nungwi was nicer than the one in kendwa. The excursions are double the price (40-45 for a full day of snorkelling compared to 20 in town). They take advantage of the isolated location to charge more!

3) Food - the breakfast was quite good, juice, fruit, eggs, pancakes, tea/coffee. The dinner however was very overpriced (again double the price for food in nungwi) and I would suggest trying Mangi's bar or Langi Langi in town which has incredible octopus and traditional zanzibar-prepared seafood and very reasonably priced compared to kendwa.

4) Transport - I booked a ferry transfer to the airport which I would suggest NOT to do, taxis offer $30 in town. We missed the 7am ferry from Dar so I rung them unsuccessfully to suggest we change the pick up. They eventually responded to our call around 2-3hours from arrival and the staff told me the driver was already waiting but we discussed with the staff that it would be ok to change the transfer to the return trip. We then spent the day in Stonetown and made our own way to Kendwa. The staff at reception on arrival confirmed it would be ok to change the transfer to our return to the ferry terminal. On the morning of our departure, despite being told a number of time by staff that it would be ok to get the transfer back, we were told that because the driver had been sent to pick us up on the first day we were forced to pay for the transport again!! The staff and manager Irene were very uncompromising and we were terribly disappointed about how they dealt with this, especially given the driver confirmed that they only left 1 hour before ferry arrival for pick up and would not have been waiting there 2-3 hours before like they were suggesting.

All up, I would not recommend staying here to anyone. It is overpriced and you can get much better places to stay and nicer places to eat in town.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Irene L, Front Office Manager at Kendwa Rocks Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback and I’m really sorry to hear you had a bad experience staying with us. I’m sorry to hear that your room was missing the A/C remote. Next time please let us know at the reception, so we can fix the issue immediately. We will make sure now that all our rooms have A/C remotes and all our electric appliances are working and are plugged in.

Actually in price comparison our restaurant prices are more or less the same than the restaurants you mentioned. Most of our main course prices vary between 8,000 – 14,000 Tanzanian shillings, which is the case in most restaurants located on the beach in Kendwa and Nungwi.

According to our cancellation policy, our customers need to cancel the ordered pick-up transport at least one day before in order to get a full refund. This is because we need to plan all our transport logistics for the entire hotel well in advance. Our driver is sent to town already the night before for the 7 am ferry pick-up, so that we can guarantee for him to be there on time. In such cases we have already paid for the fuel and salary for him in advance.

I’m sorry you felt that we were uncompromising regarding the refund of the pre-arranged transport. Our driver was willing to wait for you at the ferry terminal for your arrival with the next boat, even if it meant a long waiting time for our driver. However, you chose to take another means of transportation instead and not use this option. We also only charged you half of the amount for the pick-up, which only covered the fuel but not the driver’s salary, even though it is not in line with our cancellation policy. We are very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with these compromises offered and also about any misunderstanding and miscommunication from our behalf.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Pros
- Amazing atmosphere and vibe- especially during sunset
- Gorgeous beach, spectacular sunset views
- Kiwayuu chalet was awesome
- Staff was super friendly
- Food was really tasty (besides for their breakfast)
- lovely ambience for dinner on the beach around a large bonfire
- Warm welcome and beautifully decorated room for our first wedding anniversary with a private dinner and champagne.

Cons
- Breakfasts are the same every morning and are quite bland.
- Our bath was cracked and thus unusable

Conclusion:
We will definately recommend Kendwa Rocks to prospective travelors as we were by friends and wouldn't mind coming back ourselves!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Amazing hotel on the beach in the most beautiful part of Kendwa.
Great for those travelling in large groups.

Restaurant is good as well, pizzas are excellent. And you can't beat the cocktails, especially at happy hour!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This is the first hotel built here, 1996, and the rooms seems to need more renovation. The location is great, the staff is great and the restaurant is great BUT the rooms are too expensive in comparison to what you get next door, at Kendwa Sunset.
We stayed three nights at Kendwa Sunset but as we liked the restaurant better at Kendwa Rocks we moved and that we regretted.... because of the bad standard of the beach bungalow, it had an AC but it didn't work and it was very warm when we were there.

Room Tip: Make sure that the AC works!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple