“Second stay at Kendwa Rocks - budget quality but mid rates”

Kendwa Rocks Beach Hotel
Reviewed 24 July 2014

So, as a TZ resident, you stay at Kendwa Rocks quite frequently since there are not that many other places to stay on the beautiful Kendwa beach. They have an excellent lounge area with friendly kitchen/bar staff and a reasonably priced menu. However, my advice is that you try to stay somewhere else and visit KR for drinks or dinner. Last weekend, a group of 7 people stayed in 4 rooms at KR with equally bad experiences - mold in every room, broken aircons which were not fixed, and 4 out of 4 safes which were not opened even after asking the reception 3 times. This would be fine if it was a proper budget place, but for >100 USD in Tanzania you kind of expect to get a tiny bit better service and nicer rooms. (For comparison, room standard is equal to a $10 hostel in Thailand or Vietnam). I can see that a few people have had great experiences with KR and I am sure you can be lucky, but don't count on it if you want to be sure to have a memorable stay, as the service is very unpredictable.

Room Tip: The bandas on the beach are super dark with, contrary to what you would expect, no view. It also get...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Heather M, Front Office Manager at Kendwa Rocks Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for coming to visit us again, apologies if your second stay didn't live up to the first visit. We love that you enjoyed our location and lounge area, apologies that some aspects didn't live up to your expectations.
Changes in our system are underway; it is through honest feedback such as yours that allows us to see where we need to improve.

There are newer reviews for Kendwa Rocks Beach Hotel

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very basic but fair for the price. Had to keep asking for towels and service very slow at the reception. Overall food and drink more expensive than other places we stayed. In quite a remote location so take all the cash you need as most ATMs are in Stonetown.

Room Tip: If in big groups and don't mind haring the dorm rooms are cheaper and you can request for no one...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your honest review, all our different rooms come with different amenities, apologizes that you had to wait for your towels.
For our future guests the only ATM’s in Zanzibar are in Stone Town.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The hotell is ok and the restaurant has good food. The bar is crappy. On saturday they call it beach party, but there is no difference from the rest of the week. They serve really bad drinks from pre mixed plastic bottels in disposable plastic glasses. Turn up the price since its "beach party" and the bartenders are mostly busy keeping their local gangster friends happy. The DJ was a joke. It would be better to have playlist from spotify! If you are 18, wanna get wasted and hook up with the local gangster boys this is the place for you! If not, stay away!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Larslonberg
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed at Kendwa Rocks for our honeymoon last June and stayed in one of the upstairs room with an amazing ocean view. I have never been to such a beautiful place! We wanted to relax and that is what we did. The staff were lovely and made you feel really welcome. A special thanks to Moses the manager, he was great!!! very professional, friendly and helpfull. The food was excellent, very varied menu and good service. I have been in Zanzibar before and this was far better then some higher rated hotels. All I can say is that we had an amazing time! It was the best trip of my life and me and my husband have both done a bit of backpacking and i could not asked for a better honeymoon.....it was everything I had ever imagined and more! Thanks Kendwa Rocks! See you Next Year!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2014

It's a shame that the service here is to terrible because it really is a beautiful property. Food was delicious, beach was nice, and the room was comfortable. However, the Kendwa credit card they encourage you to get is a huge scam. Upon checkout, several people in our group of 8 had charges that didn't add up on the cards. When we showed them, the front desk acted like they couldn't help us. The worst part is, they take your passport as collateral so you really have to sort everything out or you can't leave. Unfortunately for my group, we had to leave to catch our ferry so we ended up having to pay for everything we didn't order just to get our passports back. I went back a couple of weekends later since it's pretty cheap and they tried to scam us again. Unlike last time though, we kept all of our receipts to show them. My advice, stay somewhere else if you can, keep all of your receipts and check out as soon as you can just in case you run into trouble.

Room Tip: The rooms named after different African countries are nice (ex: Uganda room)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

We are happy to hear you enjoyed our restaurant and other facilities, we hope the lapses you encountered didn't disturb you too much.
We are sorry about the issues you experienced with our card (volante) system, we are aware it’s not perfect but I am sure you can appreciate that at times, such as our Full Moon parties it is the most appropriate system. We recommend all our guests keep a hold of their receipts, which will enable them to resolve any discrepancies.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed in the "garden view" room with my friend while we were in Zanzibar for the weekend and the room itself was fine (the bed was comfortable but shower was oddly placed in the middle of the room and the bathroom was missing a lightbulb so we had to use our flashlights to use the restroom after dark). The service on the other hand was lacking in some departments. Upon booking our room at Kendwa, we also paid the $50 airport pick-up fee so that someone from the hotel would pick us up once we landed at the airport at 7:30pm. It was dark outside when we landed and we (my female friend and I) had no option but to wait outside for the Kendwa driver to show up. After waiting 15 minutes, we called the hotel to see where the driver was and they told us they forgot to send someone to pick us up from the airport and said someone should be there within 10 minutes but of course that turned into 45 minutes later. I was so disappointed that they forgot to send someone to pick us up even though we had prepaid for the taxi and had given them all of our flight information a week prior to our arrival. Upon arriving at the resort and checking into our room, I discussed my disappointment with the hotel staff and they agreed to providing free airport drop-off since they were almost an hour late picking us up. However, when we left on Sunday, the taxi driver dropped us off at the airport and asked for $50 USD. I explained that the manager at the hotel agreed to a free ride to to the hotel and when we called the hotel to verify this, they denied it and told me I have to pay. I was thoroughly disappointed with the service they provided and the false promises they made. In addition to this incident, the people at the resort restaurant were unfriendly, unwelcoming, and gave us the cold shoulder several times. Overall, just an average experience and will spend my money at a different hotel/resort next time!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our Hotel, all comments are appreciated and help us improve our service.
I would like to apologize again for our error with your pick-up and the problems with the light. Regarding your return transfer, we try arranging our transport through our trusted drivers, this helps us maximize security and reduce opportunities for mistakes. We did explain that it would be our driver that would have provided you the free service.
I apologize for any misunderstanding and hope this incident didn't take the edge of an otherwise good experience.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The place looked great! The rooms were quite dated and oldfashioned but I think that's the point. The beach was awesome, white sand and lovely warm water! Private resort with decent staff, restaurant and beach bar. We took snorkling trip which was also great!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends