We stayed for 5 nights just before Xmas. We stayed in one of the beach bungalows which was quite expensive $95) but it was nice to be so close to the sands and the room was very spacious with a nice veranda for sitting on. It had air-con but they seemed to turn it off sometimes and one night there was no power for most of the night - it got pretty hot without even the fan. Not quite bug proof (saw ants, a cockroach and a centipede inside the room or bathroom) but this is not unusal in tropical places and didn't bother us. The bed was large and comfortable.
The beach itself was great and is one of the best beaches on Zanziabr for swimming at all tides (we visited 2 others and Kendwa was the nicest). The water is an amazing blue colour and you can watch dhows sailing by occasionally (both local fishermen and of course dhows for tourist trips!). The beach front area at Sunset Bungalows was really nice with plenty of huge sun shades and beach chairs - to me it looked like the nicest out of all the places in Kendwa. The beach is beautiful when you are looking out to sea but less so when you look back at the shore as it is quite overdeveoped and there are some prettty ugly resorts there. It is also the place where we encountered the most touts on the beach.
The breakfast was not great - toast (sometimes stale), eggs (mostly very overcooked), 3 bits of fruit (nice!) and coffee/tea/juice. It was getting boring after a few days but you can pay for other options. The food in the restaurant was hit and miss - some meals were pretty good while others were pretty average (eg the curry had no flavour). The food at Kendwa Rocks next door was mostly better and cheaper.
They organised an airport pickup for us that seemed reasonable at $50 and it worked out even when we ended up arriving 8 hours later than planned.
One small problem is that they tried to charge us for someone else's restuarant bill on the first morning and took some convincing that it wasn't ours. The only other disadvantage was we heard loud music from the bar into the night on one of the nights when they were holding a party (we didn't hear anything from Kendwa Rocks on Saturday when they were suposedly holding a party).
Overall I'd definately recommend Sunset Bungalows and Kendwa beach!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Sunset Kendwa, your place to stay in the tropical paradise of Zanzibar's north coast. Fringed by powdery-white sand beaches, azure waters, and thriving coral reefs, the exotic spice island of Zanzibar is the most idyllic of tropical destinations. We offer a wide range of brightly decorated traditional rooms and bungalows, as well as all the facilities you will need to help you ease into Zanzibar's relaxed pace of life. Right on the perfect sands of Kendwa beach on Zanzibar's north coast, this is the perfect place to unwind, spend your days swimming or sun-bathing, snorkelling, scuba diving with our award winning on site water sports centre Scuba Do Zanzibar ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Ebookers so you can book your Sunset Kendwa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Bungalows Hotel Zanzibar
- Sunset Hotel Zanzibar
- Sunset Beach Hotel Zanzibar