Sunset Kendwa
US$450
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
US$430
All reviewsnice balconydive schoolbeach volleyballbeach frontfull moon partycouple of nightsbeach holidaywhite sandindian oceanscubacocktailsnightlife
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We loved staying here so much we extended our stay by a couple of nights. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Other people said they were disturbed by the music from the bar, but we had no problems at all. We are pretty heavy sleepers and maybe things are a bit quiter in September.

The beach was the best we found in Zanzibar. The tide id go out but no where near as far as other places and there was not all the seaweed that you can find in other place, just beautiful white sand and clear water.

Sadly, like others have mentioned, the food here was not great - small portions and not that tasty. However, we fond a local restaurant in the village about a 5 minute walk from the hotel called the Fisherman. The food here was cheaper, the portions bigger and it was absolutely delicious. I highly recommend a meal here - I was a big fan of the king prawns.

So in short, I recommend staying here but eating elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tom M
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Was at Sunset with my partner early August.We had a very dark ,dirty room behind a wall way from the beach.The staff were generally indifferent and unhelpful.The worst thing was the incessant doof doof music from the restaurant on the beach way into the small hours.Fine if you're a so-called "partygoer"but not fine if all you want is peace and quiet.After 3 nights without sleep we'd had enough,even with ear plugs.The whole place had ring 'em in churn them out feel to it,with no personal feel about it .To top it all,the weather was very overcast for much of the day while we were there.T here are plenty of quieter places on the other side of the island,though to be honest,coming from Australia,the island is not all it's cracked up to be.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I had heard Kendwa Beach was one of the best beaches in Zanzibar and it certainly has almost perfect white sand and no tides so you can swim any time of day, however you get out of your depth very quickly and there are stinging jellyfish bits in the water, so it's actually not that great for kids, in my opinion. What is also really not great is the amount of people on the beach trying to sell you things. It is relentless. I got approached before 8am in the morning when sitting on the beach. One evening as I was admiring the sea from a sun lounger, a guy selling sunglasses moved into my line of sight and stood there blocking the view for about 10-15 minutes. Obviously these people are just trying to earn a living but it ends up with the beach feeling like a mobile marketplace. Add on top of that the large groups of loud Italian tourists screaming after their friends just as the sun dips romantically over the horizon, for whom pretty tacky entertainment is laid on (srsly, I took a sunset swim to the not so faint strains of Celine Dion) and overall this REALLY was not the Zanzibar paradise of which I had dreamed for years. This was not helped by the fact it was cloudy until after lunch all 3 days I was there and the beach is quite short so you can't really go off for a long walk when the weather's not good for sunbathing.

Sunset Bungalows itself is not a bad hotel, although neither is wonderful. My beach bungalow was large and clean with nice furniture (although, curiously, no proper place to put clothes other than the luggage rack). Most of the beach bungalows don't face directly onto the sea but onto a sandy area set back from the main part of the beach; you can see the sea off to one side. PLEASE double check the rate with the hotel - I had seen $75 for a single on the website but when I checked a few days before arriving they said it was $85 - I was on a very tight budget so for a 5 day stay this made a big difference. The bed was typically firm but I slept well. I didn't need the AC/fan on at night as it was pleasantly cool. There is music in the evenings but it didn't bother me on the nights I was there (Tues - Thurs); one night I used ear plugs just in case. Beach towels are provided. The staff are generally fairly grim faced and the service doesn't impress, but it's overall basically fine.

About half the hotel (rooms/reception) is up a steep flight of stairs, so if you have mobility problems it's probably not a good option.

Breakfast wasn't as bad as I was expecting from other reviews - small fruit plate was adequate except they served under ripe lychees every morning, which was a shame because it's easy to tell when they're ripe and there's plenty about. Fried eggs were quite good and you also get toast and some (fairly cheap and awful) jam, plus unlimited juice, tea, coffee etc. I didn't eat any other meals in the hotel after reading poor reviews of the restaurant, I heartily recommend Fisherman Local Restaurant for lunch.

Overall though I wouldn't recommend Kendwa, particularly if you are by yourself or on a romantic couple holiday and want some peace and quiet. You won't get that on this beach. I cut my stay short by 2 nights to try Upepo in Bwejuu, which was perfect for me. However if you're in a group and don't mind beach hawkers you'll probably be all right here.

Room Tip: The deluxe beach bungalows are on a level with the beach - I think all other categories of rooms are up a steep flight of stairs some distance away which could be annoying if you wanted to pop back to your room quickly
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Pgnacht
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We've stayed 5 nights this August in one court yard room, in Lulu building (first floor). The room was big, with balcony, with A/C, ocean view, safe and fridge, clean and fairly cheap. The location is great, directly on the beautiful white sandy beach. On the bar is big party during the weekend. A lot of young people, music, fun. The beach is absolutely beautiful. The only downside is the breakfast, but again, the food in Kendwa is not so great. And I'm talking about all the restaurants on the beach. Unfortunately, not so much creativity on the fish and seafood part. The only good thing to eat in all Kendwa is pizza.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Not worth the money, they charge you VAT tax while they are not registered with the TRA (tax authority; so 18% of the bill is charged for tax but not paid as tax which is illegal) no towels until you ask for them repeatedly no hot water, air conditions not working, bed sheets with stains, staff not well trained! NOT SATISFIED!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends