“A real one-off”
Review of Le Mas de Barbut

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint-Laurent-d'Aigouze
Le Mas de Barbut
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Le Mas de Barbut is an extraordinary house. It's been in Danielle's family for over a hundred years; she and her mother were born in the house, and there is a strong sense of family heritage. The house is overflowing with objects and collections, like a hippy antique shop. It has a scatty, homely charm, but if minimalism is your thing it's not the place for you. The kitchen in particular has the most incredible amount of clutter; it's clean, but a bit overwhelming.

We had the Cupidon room, which is more like a suite, with plenty of space and even a basic kitchenette. The decor is stylish, and the bed is comfortable. Some minor quibbles: the towels were distinctly past their best, and there were signs of damp. Wifi was only available in the main house, not in the room.

Jean-Claude is a genial and chatty host. Breakfast was stylishly served, and he was endlessly helpful with suggestions for restaurants and sightseeing. When fellow guests got lost on their way back from Aigues-Mortes after dinner, he even went out in his car to find them and lead them home.

This was a great base for visiting the Camargue, and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We attended a wedding at le Mas de Barbut in September and wow what a place it is and how well we were all looked after was just so lovely. The whole setting was so romantic and very special. I doubt we will ever be in such a beautiful place for a long time. Nothing was too much trouble for Danielle and Jean-Claude. It was everything I imagined a French Farm would be a more. I would suggest that a car would be useful if you were to stay here, but saying that to sit by the pool or go for a long walk in the countryside would be more than enough for me. We will certainly go back again. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: From the rooms were we able to see I would say any of them would be great, my favourite room was the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This is a lovely bed and breakfast guest house not far from the medieval walled garden town of Aigues-Mortes. The surrounding countryside is uneventful, apart from the beaches which are lovely and sandy, but the grounds of Le Mas de Barbut are enchanting and just so charming. It is run by a married couple, who were very animated, entertaining, welcoming, and accommodating. We were visiting as part of a wedding party so it felt like one big family home, and I can't really say what it would feel like if you were visiting as a normal guest. You need to rent a car, no matter what. You can not get here or anywhere else in the area via taxis or public transport. But why would you, it's a wonderful area to explore and Le Mas de Barbut would make a perfect home base.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Been a guest in this gorgeous place for a week in September. What I start with??

Given the place a 10 out of 10 for the location, the room, the facilities, the decoration, what I would bold is the Hosts, Danielle et Jean-Claude Gandon.

You wake up, and the first thing you find is this magnificent breakfast served in the patio. Fresh fruit and patisseries brought to the table from the area. You get to enjoy your coffee, besides the stone made pool, with no more noises than the ones make by birds. Everything watered with the warmth of the sun in the south of France. 300 days of sun they proclaim they have. I was there celebrating a weeding with some familiars and friends, and I tell you, Danielle et Jean-Claude didn't stop a second until everything was ready, and beautiful for the event.

I´m saying this because they make you feel welcome and care. Personal service.

The rooms are something special. My girlfriend and I were in the Mexican room. We were in family, but if I´m thinking to take her for a romantic place this will tick ALL the boxes.

Me, I´ll comeback definitely. Next time I´ll try the microlight!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Juan Antonio d
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Everything about this beautiful place touched our hearts from the flowers covering every wall, the amazingly attentive, helpful and welcoming hosts, the beautifully decorated bed room, the very chilled moggies, a different style breakfast every day, the indescribable charm of the beautiful house and even monsieur nipping out to fly around in the quiet afternoon.
If you're interested in staying and exploring the area, then stay here, you will not find a better base from where you can go.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChefSebastian
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Le Mas de Barbut is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. This secluded estate not far from Aigues Mortes combines a wonderful natural setting (trees, the banks of the river, enchanting countryside) with a superbly arranged accommodation (the main house, with all the rooms based on a different geographical theme, and plenty of communal spaces with all the thinkable facilities; and then a fantastic pool made of stone rather than tiles, an enormous outbuilding with an open fire, a kitchen, and a dining room with beautiful art on display; and more, the courtyard where you have your incredible breakfast in the summer mornings...). On top of all this, you'll find the most welcoming warm hospitality from Jean-Claude and Danielle. I do not think you can expect anything more from what is reductively called a chamber d'hote. I hope we'll be able to go back also in different seasons, to enjoy different colours and perfumes.

Room Tip: Impossible. They are all beautiful. The room Provençale, where we stayed, had a private secluded ter...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lucio F
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We had a wonderful, relaxing time at this gorgeous French idyll. At 7 months pregnant, I was looking for a serene, down to earth place that was easy on the eye and had plenty of shade but also plenty of spots to enjoy the heat of southern France for my sun-loving husband - and Le Mas de Barbut ticked all those boxes plus some. The place is just beautiful: a courtyard full of flowers and inviting seated areas for games of scrabble and communal breakfasts; a gorgeous outside pool with sun-loungers and a shaded canopied area for relief from the 30+ degree heat; delightful rooms each with their own distinct personality and an summer sitting room and kitchen which meant we could have a couple of evening meals by the pool, dining on fresh food from the local supermarkets. We had charming hosts in Jean-Claude and Danielle who never let our ashamedly limited French get in the way and we enjoyed a number of delicious meals in the locale thanks to their recommendations. Les Remperts in the pretty walled city of Aigues-Mortes and Le Griffou in the local village of Saint-Laurent d'Aigouze are an absolute must. We also enjoyed visits to Arles for the Roman Ruins and Bouzigues for the freshest oysters and fish we've ever feasted on.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Laurent-d'Aigouze
Lou Garbin
#3 of 15 in Aigues-Mortes
Villa Mazarin
Villa Mazarin
#2 of 15 in Aigues-Mortes

Been to Le Mas de Barbut? Share your experiences!