“I should be keeping this a secret” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Dormy House
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Etretat
New Canaan, CT
“I should be keeping this a secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2007

My friend and I dropped our husbands off at the train to return home and we continued on. We were headed to Brugge and needed a stop over on the way from Normandy. I found this hotel on the internet and booked it because of it's location and figured it would be fine for a one night stopover. Well we were so sorry not to stay there longer. The Village is amazing. The views are fantastic and the hotel itself is perched on a cliff overlooking the village and the cliffs. Parking is a bit of a challenge. It was a little stormy when we arrived but we were met immediately and helped with our bags. Our room was very large and well appointed. The decorations are a little bit dated but that's just my opinion. We decided to do the half board because we were tired. The restaurant was full and it's easy to see why. The one thing we noticed was that there are very few english speaking tourists there. The restaurant staff spoke very little english and that was a little hard. We sat next to a swedish couple who spoke english and they helped us with the menu but my friend still got veal parts which she wouldn't eat. We had a wonderful time with the other guests and everyone was very friendly. We were asked how we found Etretat because it's not usually frequented by Americans. I found it to the most charming and "storybook" village that we experienced. The village is clean and beautiful. I think we ended up paying 250 euro with breakfast and dinner for two which was a great value compared to the other places we stayed. Look at the pictures on Tripadvisor and google Etretat. It looks even nicer in person.
The hotel has a beautiful lawn with chairs to look out over the water, Our room had a view of the ocean and the cliffs and we had a balcony. There is a golf club just above the hotel and there were many golfers there. We will go back with our familes: beach, town, golf, walking it's very compact and only about a two hour drive from Paris.

• Liked — Just about everything
  • Disliked — No internet access in my room
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank jtperreca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
American in Moscow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2007

Why stay at Dormy House? The view! That really sums it up. The hotel itself is fine. We stayed in the newer part which had an extremely large room, especially by European standards. The room itself was somewhat plain, nothing special though nothing distasteful, either. Large comfortable bed, flat screen TV though we didn't even turn it on. Room had one miniscule wastbasket (if you want to call it that) in the bathroom. Rather ridiculous little thing, more like something you'd keep next to your kitchen sink for potato peelings if you don't have a disposal.

But, one entire wall is a window that has a fantastic view of the cliffs and two comfortable chairs to sit in for gazing. This is what this place is really about.

Room price was certainly reasonable at 120 euros. It was our anniversary evening so we'd pre-booked dinner. On the one hand, I'm glad we did as we had bad weather and it would not have been nice to ariive and have to go into town (you can walk down the cliff which is somewhat steep and not much fun to do in the rain, or drive down the cliff a few minutes and have difficulty parking.

Dinner was good, but not fantastic & I found it terribly overpriced at 45 euros per person, especially since almost everything we ordered incurred an additional charge. Beverages, or course, are not included. I'm a New Englander (USA) , so when I ordered the lobster course at an additional 8.50 euros above the fixed prixe cost, I thought I'd be be getting a lobster. Doubt there was even one claw in that dish. No way it was worth the price. I must say though that dinner was presented beautifully and, again, that incredible view. Most of the other diners seemed to be extremely elderly locals.

From the hotel there are 2 paths - one leading into the town, the other to one of the sets of cliffs (the more dramatic one). We walked into town, not bad though going back up the cliff was a bit of an effort. I skipped the path to the cliffs though my husband did it without a problem. There is no roadway to those particular cliffs though there is a road to the cliffs on the other side of this small town.

Breakfast here was excellent. An all you can eat buffet with eggs, bacon, breads, juice, etc. served in a cheerful breakast room.

There's a nice lawn with plenty of chairs for gazing out at the cliffs when the weather's nice.

I would stay here again because I'm not sure you'll get a better view anyplace else. Yes, request the breakfast be included in your stay. Do not get the fixed price dinner they "sell" you over the phone. They have cheaper fixed priced dinners in the restaurant which are probably just as good or you can go a la carte or go into town.

Bring a sweater & a windbreaker and an umbrella! That wind really rips through you even in June.

Enjoy magical, mystical Etretat!

• Liked — The view!
  • Disliked — Anonymous feeling room. Over priced dinner.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank scg128
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2007

I spent 3 days in Etretat at the Dormy House and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I went alone to Etretat as a personal side trip from my job assignment. It was very relaxing, I had a huge and comfortable room with a view of the cliffs and the small village. Room 51 is in the newer second building, it had a king size bed and an extra roll out bed. I stayed there by myself, although I could see a small family of 3 fitting in there comfortably. It was very quiet until the week end came and the boardwalk activities were a bit loud and annoying with its thumping pseudo Hip Hop music attraction that reached all the way up the hill to the hotel. Otherwise it is the howl of the wind and the crash of the waves, absolutely enchanting. I had dinner at the restaurant, and the food was excellent, although not inexpensive and watched the sunset. Remember to book a table at the reception. Breakfast was well assorted and with fresh quality food. Wi-fi access had to be purchased separately(3E/hr), was tricky to connect on my laptop and did not work properly. There is also a hotel computer you could rent to access the web, which I did not use. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the dormy house. I'd like to come back with my wife in the Fall or early Spring when there aren't so many tourists around. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Remember to reserve early for Summer especially if you want to stay over the week-end.

• Liked — location, view, and food
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank takotak33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Etretat
Domaine Saint Clair Le Donjon
Hotel d'Angleterre Etretat
Hotel le Grand Pavois
Hotel le Grand Pavois
#1 of 10 in Fecamp

Been to Hotel Dormy House? Share your experiences!