“5 * Experience”

Oia Gefsis
Ranked #37 of 99 Restaurants in Oia
Price range: US$23 - US$91
Reviewed 20 October 2018

I have to concur with other reviews that after 5 days in Oia and having dined locally plus in Thira and Imerovigli, this restaurant has so far been the best dining experience.

Surprisingly, the restaurant was quiet on a Saturday evening and while (only just) off the main walking route, we expected it to be busier.

I think this deserves an explanation! I had earlier in the day spent some time reviewing the restaurants while sat at Kamari beach and was interested to read a number of very positive reviews over the course of the previous week. The "terrible" reviews all seemed to refer to the terrace area where the Oia sunset can be seen and related to having to buy expensive drinks (wine or cocktails) for the best seats.The point here is that this happens in most of the establishments in Oia and we had a similar experience in a small cafe where we were told that only wine or cocktails guaranteed the best review. What would you do if you owned these places - allow people to take over your bar/restaurant for an hour drinking bottled water to watch the World's 2nd best sunset! Oia closes for Winter, so I have some sympathy in the local owners trying to make money while they can especially in late October. So I dismissed these reviews and went with the reservation.

There are a lot of good restaurants in Oia and my only logical explanation for this restaurant being quiet is that it sits down the rankings on Trip Advisor. This seems to be because it has a lower number of total reviews and some poor reviews as mentioned above.It still has an average score of 5.5/6 so I am not sure how Trip Advisor ranks the restaurants, but this does seem to be placed undeservedly lower down in the rankings. I imagine that most tourists visiting for a few days only don't even get to page 2 on Trip Advisor when choosing where they eat.

This leads me on to the fact that the current ranking has nothing to do with the quality of the food, the cost or level of service. As mentioned at the outset, this was the best experience to date.

For the food, we ordered 3x starters - the saganaki cheese in a watermelon sauce (nice change to the other restaurants who serve with honey), marinated anchovies and the cold cheese and meat platter. All excellent.

Main courses were a moussaka, eggplant tower, lamb shank and a local baked chicken leg special. The moussaka was beautifully presented as if it had been cooked in a traditional clay pot but then perfectly transferred to the plate intact. The lamb shank had been slow cooked for 6 hours in parchment paper, which was nicely untied in front of you releasing the flavours of the meat. My wife chose the eggplant tower and the aubergine was cooked to perfection.The chicken was a simple local dish and served with delicious grilled peppers and onions with olives.

We skipped desert but were given a chocolate cheesecake on the house anyway!

We had some water, a beer, 2x green tea, a glass of local red wine and a dessert wine (plus some bread, which came with some nice dips). Total bill was Euro146 for 4 persons.

The portions were not small and in all cases were beautifully presented and definitely a level up from some of the other restaurants with some nice touches and additional flavours on the plate. You would have expected that for this quality and consistency the menu would attract a much higher price level (especially given the Santorini factor). So the overall cost we felt represented great value.

Attentive service and never pushy as some of the other reviews suggested. I never felt pressured to buy a bottle of wine, for example.

I would therefore strongly recommend a visit to this restaurant.

Reviewed 20 October 2018 via mobile

What a wonderful place, we tried it on our last day and it was wonderful, relaxing, food was fantastic and the service by Yanis was amazing. GO VISIT if in Oia.

Reviewed 19 October 2018 via mobile

Everything was amazing from the view, service, and food from appetizers to dessert. Our waiter Yianni was so amazing from being professional to personable!

Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

I can't recommend this place enough, we came here twice on our honeymoon and I cannot fault the service, they treat you like royalty! The food is amazing, the views are spectacular (especially of the sunset) and every single one of the staff are incredible. If you are in Oia, I highly suggest you go to here, you won't regret it!

Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

We stumbled upon this spot by accident and were so glad we did. Perfect location to watch the sun dip into the ocean. Staff were so lovely and professional, making wonderful recommendations on the menu choices. Food was fantastic. Excellent value for money. Would highly recommend.