“Arrogant waiter”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Oslo
“Arrogant waiter”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My husband and me stepped by this place on our way back from the Amoudi bay. The view was fantastic, so we decided to sit down for a little cup of coffee. It was still kind of early (around 10 am) and the restaurnat was empty. However, the waiter who came to our table seemed to be very troubled by our appearance.

When we asked him about some snacks or smth small to eat, he abruptly replied to us: "No food, only drink!". In general, while talking with us, he did not look at us and rolled his eyes up 2 or 3 times, just as if we were the biggest burden ever. We ended up ordering 2 cold coffees, which were fine. We paid 5 euros, which also was an ok price, but decided to not leave any tip.

I agree with some of the other revieweres, that the waiters at this place are not occupied with building good relationships with their customers, because most of the people who have drinks or food there, are one-timers.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
“Worst meal ever”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We were a family of four visiting Oia and we decided to try this restaurant. Service was off-hand - they are used to once-off patrons, so they do not care about their level of service. They are far more interested in turning a buck. My meal - octopus was incredibly tough and had no accompaniments. I could not even finish it. I have eaten at many restaurants all over the world, as I am a seasoned traveller and this was definitely the worst. My son's food did not arrive and we struggled to get the attention of a waiter to explain this to them. 40 minutes after we received our food, his food arrived. The restaurant trades off the sunset and the fact that they have a captive audience, but there are many other restaurants who have similar views and who offer better service, better food and better attitudes.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Liz N
Sydney, Australia
“Set expectations to medicore”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Strange start with moving us around different tables as being a pair, they didnt want us to sit in a table set for 4 next to the waterline. Older waiter was grumpy and wasnt keen to explain his recommendations on fish for the day or what sized fish we should order for 2 people. Waited for over 45mins for a grilled filleted fish with tabbouleh salad with cous cous. Nothing special and it was expensive at 50 euros for 1kg.

Special notes from the restaurant:
- They noted on the first page of their menu that this restaurant was listed in the book " Where Chefs Eat: A Guide to Chefs' Favourite Restaurants"
- A photo of Oprah Winfrey dining there.
- The menu does report at the back that that squid, octopus are frozen and from northern greece as the waters of santorini are too deep to have these fresh.

I wouldnt bother with this restaurant.

1 Thank mongnhingo
Boston, MA
“Not worth it”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Just wasn't that great. Very odd service. The gentleman who took our order was kind of miserable. We got him to be a bit nicer by being overly kind to him but it was awkward.

The food is just ok and very expensive for what you get. We didn't finish some dishes because it wasn't good.

The view is amazing. Be sure to ask them to call a cab for you when you leave. You don't want to climb back up the stairs!!

Abington, Massachusetts
“Great View, but disappointing”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I were so excited to eat at the Sunset Tavern on our last night on Santorini. We had been on a cruise 6 years ago, and had lunch here and were excited to return. It was a very hot day, and we walked down the 286 stairs from Oia Village for our reservation. We were seated right away. But from the beginning, the service was not good. The waiter came over and said, "Do you know what you want?" We asked him to go over the fish with us - he seemed bothered. When we ordered my husband explained that I have a gluten allergy. He said they could do the zucchini without gluten. We also ordered fish for our main course; he said it came with “salad”. Bread was brought to our table, which we sent back, and we reminded them of the gluten allergy. When the food came, they brought Tabouleh with the fish – which contains gluten. No one came to check on us, we sat and waited to eat our fish until they took back the tabouleh, and then brought us some french fries instead. We had finished eating, at least 30 minutes, no one came to the table to take our plates, or ask us if we wanted anything else. My husband flagged someone down and ordered a Greek Coffee and 2 glasses of Vinsanto. They brought the coffee, and shortly after the bill – which we did not ask for, and which they just basically tossed on the table. At this point I was angry – this was far from the romantic last night on the island we were hoping for. We called the waiter over, my husband, who speaks fluent Greek, explained what happened. He brought the Vinsanto on the house. You know what – it was too late. I would not recommend this restaurant. There are other restaurants along this fish pier – and they looked lovely. There are also so many amazing restaurants on this island with even better views – easier to get to, and much better service. Although the fish is fresh, I would not recommend this restaurant!! The fish is fresh all over the island!!! It certainly is not a romantic restaurant – far too busy and far to crowded.