“Oh, my God, I never wanted to leave....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aegeas Houses

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oia
Aegeas Houses
Ranked #63 of 72 Speciality Lodging in Oia
altlanta GA
“Oh, my God, I never wanted to leave....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2009

Aegeas Traditional houses is AWESOME. I wound up staying there because another tripadvisor-recommended hotel, the Aris Caves, was booked up and they referred me to Yiannis at Aegeas. I am so glad they did. I stayed for two nights (two and a half days) and I was kicking myself for not staying longer.

Santorini is stunning beyond belief. I know it is the most touristy island, but holy cow there's a reason for it. You have never seen such scenery in your life. I spent 3 days in Crete and almost 3 days in Santorini and would happily have stayed there for my whole trip.

Yiannis is the nicest person ever. He was friendly and available without being intrusive, and even arranged a massage for me from a (female) friend who is a massage therapist. She came right to my room. The cave rooms are so cozy, when I arrived both of the smaller rooms were empty and Yiannis told me to take my pick. I chose house #2 (you can see some pictures on the website). It was perfect, clean, had a little kitchenette, and the common patio is right outside the door. I sat out there every morning and evening watching the sunrise and sunset. The bathroom is hilariously small it's true, but it just added to the atmosphere.

I highly, highly recommend this hotel. I would go back in an instant. If you go, the hotel is at the far end of Oia, about two-thirds of the way thru the village. It's across from the Neptune restaurant - you see the sign on the gate and you go down the stairs.

Just one other note: I am a woman who frequently travels alone, and I felt very safe at this hotel. Sometimes that is a concern for we ladies traveling alone, so I wanted to give Aegeas the thumbs-up there as well :)

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank t_Atlanta

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
BarcelonaFlo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2009

Yiannis was a perfect host, helpful but discreet, and we could enjoy one of his little authentic studio situated right in the center of the main street. Go down a few steps from the street to get there, and enjoy a spectacular view on the caldera from the charming pale blue and white small terrace. The studio includes a clean bedroom with mezzanine, and a tiny bathroom and kitchenette.
Price would be a bit more competitive if breakfast was included.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Moscow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

The place is soooooo beautiful!!!!!
He photos on his site can’t show all the beauty of the place and the colors!!!!!
Located just on the main caldera view street of Oia. But due to the stairs down you are in privacy from all the tourists walking on the street (but you steal can hear their “Ah” and “Oh” about the view and the place where you stay). There is a small blue garden gate to get to the apartment (very picturesque), and many people want to enter to take pictures from that point – but there is a title – “guests only”.
We were lucky to be the only guests over there (actually there are 2 apartments which share the terrace). But the terrace is quite big, and even if there are more people you wouldn’t feel crowdedly.
The room itself is so nice and local style, the bed stands in a small white cave. The shower is not that comfortable (it’s in the toilet and very small), but it doesn’t spoil the whole impression. The owner, Yiannis, is very hospitable and nice.
We loved the place, we loved Oia, and very reasonable price for this place (130euro high season).

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

My experience one month ago was unique. Yannis was very friendly and helpful with me and my friends.
He booked us to nice restaurants, the view from the terrace to the caldera was the best!
It was with caldera view to the volcano!
We are planning to go again next year with our friends. We stayed in House 3.
We had breakfast that Yannis had in the room like coffee, juice and marmalade,honey e.t.c
We stayed only 5 nights. I wish we had more time to stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

My husband and I stayed in Aegeas Houses for 5 nights at the end of May. Yiannis was our very accomodating host, and he was wonderful to chat with and provided lots of helpful info on the area. We stayed in house 2, and for 4 of the 5 days were his only guests, so we had the entire patio overlooking the caldera to ourselves. The apartment was on the small side, but was fine for the two of us. We had a hard time with the shower (the bathroom is tiny!), especially my husband who is pretty tall. We thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the patio, had breakfast there each morning, and enjoyed some wine with snacks in the evening. I would highly recommend Aegeas Houses for a lovely stay in Oia!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2009

First of all, don't be confused between the Zoe-Aegeas Houses and the Aegeas Traditional Houses. Apparently they are not affiliated, although their respective websites make the distinction very muddy.

We tried to book at Aris Caves but they were full, and after the owners forwarded our request to some other properties, we received a quote for House #3 of Aegeas Traditional Houses from Yannis Theocharis. We pre-booked with Yannis, and despite our offer, he assured us he did not need a credit card or deposit to hold the room - in fact, he said if our plans changed we simply needed to let him know, with no penalty.

When we arrived to check in, we were appalled at the state of the room and found many things to be not as we were promised. Where do we start... the room looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the previous guest had checked out (used bars of soap in the bathroom, trash in the can, etc) and overall the house is very dated. There is a tiny kitchen but the ceiling is not even high enough for a 6' person to stand up in - as is the case with the bathroom. The "private terrace with caldera view" we were promised was not in fact fully private, and actually faced away from the caldera, with a narrow view out the side. Although the Aegeas website indicates "Groceries to prepare breakfast are provided to all houses free of charge" this was not the case.

After we had a few moments to think about it, we decided we did not want to stay. We had not been required to pay a deposit, had been told that there was no cancellation fee, and our understanding is that it is common for guests in Greece to view accommodations before committing to the space. We decided to find another hotel and, because Yannis was not present at reception when we went there to return the keys, we left the keys with a note telling him we were not going to take the room.

Now, if the situation ended here, it wouldn't have been so bad. There are different standards of accommodation and perhaps some people would be satisfied with House #3.

HOWEVER, we discovered that Yannis is aggressive, unprofessional - and frankly a little irrational. He actually went to a bunch of different hotels in Oia to track us down. He finally located us by asking at the reception of the new hotel we had checked into, and demanded to see us; after being told we were not there, he left word with the proprietor that we were to come see him. In hindsight, we shouldn't have gone back to see him, but we thought he would be rational, and we figured if we were requested to pay a reasonable cancellation fee, we would.

When we went back to Aegeas, Yannis proceeded to threaten us, demand full payment for all four nights' stay, claim that he had contacted the Police and generally try to bully us at the top of his lungs... after we didn't give in, he finally cursed at us and sent us away. Obviously, it was a horrible introduction to Santorini and made us pretty nervous for awhile - we're not in the habit of getting into fights with hotel owners.

It should be noted that we discussed this situation with the owner of our new hotel, and he assured us that we had every right to cancel the accommodation if we were unhappy and if the room was not actually as it had been promised to us. He said their own hotel policy is not to penalize people for cancellations; walk-in guests are very common on Santorini and that Yannis would have a good chance of renting the room (interestingly, we could see Aegeas house #3 from our new accommodation, and it was indeed occupied during our entire time there). He said that since we were not required to pay a deposit, there was no legal reason we had to stay at the room, or pay any cancellation fee.

Perhaps we just caught Yannis on a really, really bad day - but my advice would be to avoid this place. We had a hard time making a decision and the sparse website and lack of TripAdvisor reviews didn't help. We should have listened to our instincts and kept looking - and you should too.

There are many nicer spots in Oia, with better locations, views and amenities, and for a lower cost. (We stayed at the Lauda and would highly recommend it.) Other than this terrible experience at Aegeas Houses, we enjoyed Oia - it is lovely and filled with friendly people, great food and some of the most spectacular sunsets around.

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple