“A dream-like vacation that we did not want to end.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spitia Houses

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oia
Spitia Houses
Ranked #21 of 35 Oia B&B and Inns
ottawa
“A dream-like vacation that we did not want to end.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2010

My wife and I travelled with our three daughters aged 17, 18 and 21 to Oia and stayed at Spitia for four night in the larger of the two houses. We drove our rental car from the Thira airport to the Village of Oia townhall where the owner, Panos had arranged to have Tim meet us to carry our luggage. Tim met us promptly at midnight, and brought along help so that we would not have to carry our four suitcases down the many steps. We were immediately impressed by this extraordinary level of service. Tim also carried the bags back up the stairs at the end of our stay.

After taking a few steps toward the house we were overwhelmed by the ambiance of the village. The lighting, the sky, the architecture, the happy mood that people were in and the night time view immediately made the place feel magical. The whole area had a classy and relaxed feel at the same time. We stopped at several points on the way down to the house to take in the atmosphere which immediately relaxed and excited us at the same time.

Arriving at the house we could not believe how well thought out everything was. Everything in the room was in good condition as the houses had only been renovated last June and everything was pretty much brand new. As impressed as we were with the house we were more excited about it's phenomenal location - There was not a single direction that you could look from the house that produced less than a post card quality view!

The next morning we woke up to a visual treat... Breakfast was brought by our friendly and always-smiling host, Tim. Breakfast was a treat consisting of different types of bread, juice, milk, Greek yoghurt, an assortment of beautifully homemade jams, honey and cereal all arranged on a tray. It was the best breakfast due mostly to the location of the breakfast table - on the large terrace overlooking the caldera and the Aegean Sea!

We met Panos, the owner, and found him to be helpful and genuine. We took Panos's advice and swam in the Bay of Ammoudi below the house and at Perissa beach and highly recommend both places.

We spent a lot of time on the terrace and in the house in mid afternoons away from the sun, watching DVDs from Panos's collection on the modern flat screen tv. The air conditioning, which worked very well, was only needed in the afternoon. We spent some time in the village centre in evenings. The shops and restaurants were of high quality and the village was lively.

We ate a couple of times at a restaurant at the water's edge in Ammoudi Bay where the seafood was excellent. The restaurants in the village are quite good. There's a typical Greek restaurant which caters to mostly Greeks across the main road from the village centre that we liked not far from the bakery, which we also liked.

Spitia offers good value for our money as other reviews have suggested. This was especially true in our case since the house accommodated the five of us comfortably and made it possible to avoid renting an extra unit. If you have a family of five, I suggest talking to Panos about getting the larger house.

My entire family agrees that this was the best vacation we have ever taken! Spitia was the best place we have ever stayed at. Do trust all the positive reviews on this property. I find that the reviews are bang-on.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank cseOttawa

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Greek first
Caracas, Venezuela
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

A lot of things have been say about Spitia Houses:
"This place brings the best in me"
"Magical, I wanted to stay forever"
"Honestly the best place I ever stayed"
an so on...
all of these are true...

So let's begin giving Oia a few lines for herself...
If you saw in 1982, the now cult classic "Summer Lovers" you need no introduction,
I think 80% of the people travelling to Santorini and specially Oia do it because of
this magical movie.
Oia today still retains that fantasy, a small litle town on the NW tip of the island
filled with colors, light, art, good food a a dreamlike spirit that I've never felt anywhere
in the wolrd, and I am a travel agent, I've been around a few miles in my 40 years.

So, let's back to Spitia, first of all the reservation process is very good, just write to
Panos, the wonderful owner of the houses and he will answer all your questions intermediate and get you on your way.

As soon as you arrive, Panos will have Tim, the sweet guy who will make your beds and deliver breakfast between 9-10am waiting for you to carry your bags to the house, this is wonderful as you should now Oia is filled with stairs up and down the town, and it can get tiresome specially if you are arriving from a long fly, jetlag or Ouzo hangovers from athens the night before.
Get to the house and the 1st thing is awe!!! is perfectly located in the middle of the clift
facing the sunset view, at perfect distance to the town up or Amoudi Bay bellow you, which is one of Santorini's top spots for enjoying a nice meal in front of the bay, clift jumping ( YOU-MUST-DO-THIS ) and the clears deep blue waters of the Aegean see.

The House... firs of all is located in an area where you will have provacy and believe me,
you will love this! it has everything you need, Panos said we should call him if we needed anything, believe, you wont! The candles are a perfect way to set up the romantic mood around that Jacuzzi where I promess you, you will stay for long hours and don't realize you're becoming a prum!

The interior of the house is simple which for me is elegant, It has beautiful details that
will make you feel at home, and this is one of the top advantages of Spitia: you will be at home! Just make sure if you plan a romantic dinner on the balcony, don't use the flowervase from the living room inside as the wind can get really naughty and send it flying and and turn your romantic dinner into glass picking from the floor ;))))

Me and my longtime friend stayed in the house bellow which has 2 rooms, a super spacious kitchen with everything you need to cook a wonderful meal with all the natural ingredients Santorini has to offer you at the supermarket, a living room, a bathroom so nice and with such a view that you will want to take showers at least twice a day! a word of advice, Santorini spoiled tomatos forever for me! I never tasted sweet, soft, meaty tomatos in my life so esquisite as Santorini's!
Cook on olive oil, 2 heads of garlic, a small sliced red onion, slice some santorini tomatos, trow some tasty Santorini's black olives and then serve on top of a perfect cook al dente spaghetis, some pieces of feta cheese on top, open a nice Domaine Sygalas wine and believe me, your travel partner, friend or family will love you for the rest of the holiday!

I have to finally thanks Panos for making my dream to travel to Oia come true with his spectacular vision to make this houses your own!
Believe me, save yourself a lot of time, I was reading and web browsing for
my perfect stay in Santorini for a month! look no further... Spitia Houses are waiting!!!!!!!
and lastly but not least, something I learned from a book when I was In Oia: "xeno" in greek means stranger, and "filos" means friend, add them together "filoxeno" and you get "kind person who's nice to strangers"
Enjoy Greece and its people and welcome to your house in Oia!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bluedreams69
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

Spitia Houses exceeded our expectations and made our trip perfect. All the stairs were worth it. We felt like we had our own little private slice of Oia. This was the perfect spot for enjoying sunsets, breakfasts on the terrace, and all with our own dip pool. The owner, Panos, and the gentleman who cleaned and helped with bags, Tim, were both wonderful. I would recommend this place to anyone! The only drawback was that the bedroom was up a steep ladder, and the air conditioning cooled mostly the downstairs, so the bedroom was pretty hot at night. But that's just part of Greece in the summertime. At least there was air conditioning at all!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Miami Beach, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2010

If you’re looking for a vacation home type of property in Oia, Spitia’s your place. That’s primarily because of the location. You know those famous sunsets that cruise passengers pay big money to come see on excursions? At Spitia, you’ve got the prime (THE prime) view. But you’d never know you’re sharing it with the sunset crowd, because the houses feel completely private (meaning nobody’s there to gawk when you’re enjoying your terrace Jacuzzi). Many of the properties in Oia lie directly along a path, reducing privacy. But Spitia is completely sheltered. It’s the perfect getaway.
And it has a lot more to offer than just location. Add in incredible design that makes you feel like you’re at an exclusive boutique property, with a spa shower and gorgeous décor that somehow feels traditional and contemporary at the same time. And then add in full wireless access and satellite TV, hosts that will go out of their way to ensure your every comfort, more than you could possibly eat for breakfast and a two-level terrace with private Jacuzzi, and you’ve got unbeatable value for the true “Oia experience.”
(Note: I’ve read some of the reviews here and just want to clarify a couple of things. They do now provide a full carafe of milk with breakfast. Also, there is extensive stair-climbing involved in order to reach the property, but that describes the majority of Oia. Think of it as an extra bonus – you’ll build a healthy appetite for all that amazing Greek food, and won’t have to worry about additional exercise! If stairs are a problem for you, research the property you choose very carefully. You will likely have to go with something along the road, the uppermost pedestrian way or by the sea.)

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NeverInMiami
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

Beautiful houses with a spectacular view. The most memorable part of our trip, was our host, Panos, and the gentleman who cleaned our rooms and brought breakfast, Tim. These two men could not do enough for us, and were there to help us with our every need. I booked our rooms after reading about them on this web-site. I was a little concerned since the houses are fairly new and there were only a few reviews. Do not hesitate to contact Panos and book these rooms for a dream vacation.

Me and my 18-year-old daughter, my friend, and my friend's niece stayed in both houses for two nights, then all moved in together (in the two-bedroom) for two nights, based on availability when I booked. Panos was very helpful with the booking, and very quick to answer my emails. He also arranged transportation both to and from the airport for us. The accomodations worked out very well for us, were very comfortable, clean, and exactly what we were hoping them to be. Breakfast delivered to our room every morning at 9 a.m. was wonderful...yogurt, cereal, bread, etc. We loved it!

What a wonderful place to stay, warm welcome, all your requests answered by Panos and Tim. Thank you, thank you, thank you. These gentlemen and Panos' Spitia Houses, made this part of our two-week trip a truly memorable experience. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank lovethesun61_2
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

I have been traveling to Greece every summer for 5 years. For the past 5 years I have stayed for the majority of the duration of my trip in Oia, in Santorini, so you will believe me when I say that I have experience with the living conditions of the island.
First of all, despite the fact that Greece is a gorgeous country, and in my opinion Santorini is it's most beautiful island, many other people feel the same way, thus the influx of tourists, most of them walking through/lounging around in Oia. Oia is a small village at the topmost point of the island, and have these fabulous steps leading from the Caldera up to it, as well as steps leading down the mountain side in order to get to local dwellings, restaurants, hotels and rooms for rent.
Over the course of my travels, I have stayed at the hostel, at a handful of hotels within Oia as well as in surrounding villages, and I can say with confidence that Spitia Houses was not only the best deal that I got, but the most memorable experience.
First of all, the view from Spitia is SPECTACULAR. You would think that within Oia, from any point the view would be that way, but it is only until you wake up in the morning for your breakfast, and you come to this view outside from your window that you are overwhelmed with the fantastic gift that is Santorini. The water is this unbelievable blue green, and the houses are all white and blue with shutters, and domes. Not to be forgotten is the view from the washroom-a truly outstanding gift for the eyes.
The architecture of the rooms is of the traditional Greek style, which I adore for its simplicity, usefullness, and aesthetic values. You really feel part of the culture, when you are immersed in the look and feel of Santorini.
I adored lounging on the foam living room area, and outside, we had an adorable eating area where we would sit and marvel at our surroundings.
Getting there was no trouble at all; we didn't even need to carry our own bags! The owner of Spitia sent someone to pick our bags up and drop them off at our place, and we showed up later with no fuss.
Inside, apart from the lovely interiors, we had a small kitchen and fridge (great for keeping freshly baked goods from the local bakeries, fruits from the markets, water and juice), there was A/C! which everytime I encounter makes me sooo happy, despite the fact that cave houses are generally cooler than other types, but on especially hot days it was nice to come back for a bit and cool off with it. We had television for local news channels (they have these news broadcasts of the beach situations!-its unreal how amazing this country is)
The hot tub outside is great for during the day cooling off, and evening time warming up, and looking over the rim of it at the Caldera is an experience I will never forget. Spitia offers fabulous service like friendly staff, a maid (so that I didn't need to fuss about anything) and a relaxing, luxurious, gorgeous Greek experience.
When I return again to Greece, I will undoubtedly reserve a place for myself there once again. I loved it!
would I recommend it to a friend?
I already have!

Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2010

I can honestly say Spitia fulfilled all of our expectations and more!!

The view from the house of the Caldera and the famous sunset is breathtaking, something you will not be able to find anywhere else at such a price!
The location of the house also meant we could spend hours at a time out on the large patio taking in the sun and scenery in complete privacy, another thing which is rare on the island.
The house itself is beautifully presented, elegantly decorated and fresh. Small details such as candles and cushions give the space a very homely feel.
I can see how the minimal interior may appear unpractical to some however we did not feel anything was missing.
The bathrooms were exceptionally clean and practical; the kitchen was a decent size, definitely large enough to prepare a small meal to enjoy either out on the patio or in the living area where there was a dining table.
The bedroom was large and also beautifully presented but most importantly very comfortable.
The private outdoor Jacuzzi however is what gives the house that special touch of luxury. Watching the sunset in your own private Jacuzzi was priceless!!!!!

The owner, Panos was friendly and reliable and met our every need, from restaurant recommendations to extra towels.

The only thing that worried me at the start of the trip were the stairs to and from the house. However it quickly became apparent that this is how the island works and cannot be avoided wherever you stay. So that is something you should be prepared for when visiting.

Our only complaint was that we could not stay longer!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple