“Helped make my marriage proposal perfect”
Review of Angel Cave Houses

and 1 more site!
Angel Cave Houses
Ranked #20 of 71 Speciality Lodging in Oia
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Helped make my marriage proposal perfect”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

In all seriousness, stop searching and just book your stay here - you will not regret it. It's hard to know where to start, what with the stunning views, the cozy cave villas, the delicious breakfasts, etc. However, I'm sure there are other places in Santorini that have those perks, too.

What they don't have is the Angel Caves staff.

It turns out, so far as they know, we were the first to get engaged at the hotel, and Athanasia and her team absolutely bent over backwards to make sure everything was completely perfect and just the way I envisioned it in my head. It took a ton of secretive communication and extra effort on their part, and they went so far as to decorate our balcony beautifully with rose petals and candles for my surprise proposal during the sunset to my now-fiance. In addition, they even doubled as photographers, looming nearby while I popped the question (and as you'll see, the photos turned out great). Angel Cave will always be part of our story now.

Honestly, you could not ask for a more caring, hospitable and detail-oriented staff, and I cannot stress enough how wonderful this little gem is in Oia. Outside of the proposal evening, the hotel and all its amenities were flawless, it is in a great location, and the views are truly spectacular. I looked long and hard for the right place for our stay and our big night, and I am so glad I found exactly the right place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DukeDeac88

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Linz
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had booked two nights in the hotel for our anniversary and it was living up to our expectations. We had the Honeymoon Suite and really enjoyed it. It's the last one in the row of rooms (mind you, it's not a "hotel" like a house with many rooms but traditional cave housing) so no people passing while you enjoy your breakfast or the outdoor jacuzzi and it had the best shades which was important for us (you still get a lot of sun). We only stay on Santorini to travel on to smaller islands and this is a perfect place to hide from the maddening crowds. Our rate did not include breakfast so I can't say anything about it. The kitchen was fully equipped so if we had felt like it, cooking our own meals wouldn't have been a problem either. The only thing which keeps me from rating 5 stars is the bathroom. The indoor jacuzzi was very small, I'm kind of petite so I could use it but the noise it made was horrible, no way could I relax in it; for my hubby it was more of a bubble foot bath ;-) It was kind of hard to take a shower in it without flooding the whole room because the tub was so smallish. The shower was dripping, too and the toilet flush was dripping all the time unless you gave it a slap in the right place. We got a real good rate for early booking but I guess for someone who pays the full price this could be a reason for a bigger complaint...The amazing view, superior decoration of the room and the lovely outdoor jacuzzi made up for it though. And the homemade wine is a reason to return!

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suite seems to have the most private terrace and best shades.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Reise M
New York
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Angel Cave Houses. It was a last minute booking and we chose fairly quickly. It was one of the best decisions we've ever made. Santorini itself is gorgeous, particularly Oia. We stayed in the Superior Apartment and the view from our windows and patio were stunning. We loved eating our breakfast (that was served to us) on the patio - it was actually difficult to leave! The room was beautifully appointed, spacious, with everything that we needed. The service was outstanding as well. The location is perfect - the shops/restaurants of Oia are right at the top of the steps and the bus stop is there as well to take you to Fira and the beaches. I would return in a heartbeat. Santorini is one of the most beautiful and romantic places that I have ever been and Angel Cave Houses was the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristin S
Minsk, Belarus
Reviewed 30 August 2013

It was my frist coming to Santorini and I'm really happy I've chosen this hotel! :) Everything was organized on a high level and even the electricity absenсe didn't spoil my experience. The pictures here and on booking.com match the real atmosphere, the view from my terrace was unforgettable both during the day and at night and it was really pleasant to have breakfast there. The hostess was so friendly and always helpful and we also had a good time one evening talking and waiting till they gave us electricity :D (if you read this post - best regards from your first guest from cold BELARUS!!!). The hotel location is also comfortable because it's situated in the beginning of the pedastrian street and a bus stop if you would like to go to Thira or anywhere else. So highly recommend this hotel! Its price matches emotions one will feel there :)

Room Tip: To my mind junior suit must be even beter than more expensive rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Suva, Fiji
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Angel Cave Houses has easily surpassed expectations to become one of my favourite destinations. The first thing you need to know, is that this is a family business, operated solely by 3 people. Despite this (and I could not disagree more with another recent review), the levels of professionalism are very high and at least comparable to 5-star hotels I've stayed.

Athanasia is the most helpful person in the world. She will make you feel at home, give you great tips, and look after your comforts.

The location is perfect, the views on the caldera are magic, and you can enjoy them with your home-made breakfast or in your very own private jacuzzi. We stayed at the junior suite, which was comfortable, homey and the kitchen was handy for washing the fruits we purchased from the grocer across the street.

I felt at home during my stay and give this place my wholehearted recommendation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

I booked the hotel for 3 nights about 6 weeks before travelling and provided my credit card info. I managed to secure a good price with some negotiation since the room I wanted was not available which I was happy about (I basically accepted their own negotiated offer). About a week before travelling I received an email from the hotel saying the credit card was not authorised and that the booking was immediately cancelled. Now bear in mind I have 4 fully functional credit cards. I called the hotel to complain that they didn't contact me to provide another credit card and spoke to the worst booking department ever. Very impolite, very unprofessional and rude. Basically they decided to cancel my booking because they could get more money from someone else. I have been travelling for 20 years, stayed in 100s of hotels and never experienced such a disregard for a hotel visitor.

Stayed August 2013
8 Thank IPLGR
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Angel Cave House for 2 nights, 3 days with my husband in July and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

We booked the junior suite which is situated at the top of the property and has a large balcony with the benefit of a private hot tub to enjoy during the evening with your complimentary home made wine!

Our suit had a dinning room with a well equipped kitchenette, good sized bathroom with large shower and a lovely cave room bedroom with shutters throughout, great for sleeping late. This is the hotels 5th season so all fixtures and fittings are still in good condition and of a good quality.

Soula was a wonderful host and was most helpful in suggesting excursions, car rentals and restaurants.

Angel Caves House is 5 mins walk from central Oia, fantastic location, its quiet in the evenings and set away from the main touristic paths. However the steps going from the hotel to the main walkway can be a little challenging with large suitcases (no porter to carry your cases, but Soula does try to assist you with at least one of your cases).

Oia simply took our breaths away and our stay at Angel Caves was pleasant and hassle free and for the price I think it's good value for money - would definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2013