“Amazing experience!”
Review of Fotinos Houses

Fotinos Houses
Ranked #45 of 73 Speciality Lodging in Oia
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We chose this villa because of it's location-Oia with it's amazing sunsets. And that is so true, the sunsets were absolutely stunning which made the experience being in a traditional cave house even more fantastic. The villa is exceptionally clean, large with a kitchenette and very nicely decorated. We were picked up at the port, thankfully, and brought directly to our villa. The managers then also helped us with our luggage since it is quite a challenge walking on their little cobble stone paths (great exercise!) even without heavy bags. Everything was within walking distance, so it extremely centrally located in Oia. Every evening when we got home we sat and watched the most amazing sunsets-everyone of which were different. The white washed houses, the red layered cliffs and the blue sea, made it all so magical. On our last morning when we had to leave at 5 a.m. the manager came and helped us with the bags to a taxi, that took us to the airport. Incredibly nice people who will go above and beyond to help you out!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Stayed at Fontinos' family / cave house & it was a fantastic experience. Firstly it is located in the best part of Oia, which makes it one of the most stunning locations you could stay at in Santorini. Almost every postcard you've seen or will see of the famous Oia sunset with the windmill in it, most likely features Fotinos house in it. That's how good the location is! Every morning when coming out of the front door it was a spectacular & amazing feeling. For couples I would highly recommend this part of Oia as the mornings and evenings (at least in late May) were incredibly tranquil.

Fotinos sent a driver to pick us up from the ferry port for free. The same driver takes & drops off other people too. Fotinos then met us near the public pool & bar in Oia and helped carry our heavy luggage through the staircases to the house which was thoughtful of him. The house is not that far down the mountain, only a few sets of stairs to navigate. Both Fotinos & Ioanna are very genuine and hospitable. It's the little things that really make a difference and they made us feel very welcome. The cave has a lot of character, has been kept in a traditional style and it's most notable feature (other than the location) is the beautiful bathroom. There is a private terrace down a small set of stairs with two deck chairs overlooking the caldera to relax on, although to get good pictures of the sunset it's better to sit a little further around. There are many great spots in the immediate area. If you want to swim it's a 2min walk to the public pool, which we were a little confused if it was free or not. Our stay was nothing short of fantastic, although I can suggest that it would have been nice to have a portable mirror next to the bathroom sink, and the wifi signal could only be picked up when sitting in the outdoor entrance/courtyard. My partner & I have many fond memories & we will never forget our stay in this traditional cave house in an incredible setting.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Well I wouldn’t want to live in a cave, but a few nights to experience the character of a traditional home in Oia is a good way to go. And above all is the classic Santorini view over the whitewashed wall across the caldera. And the famous Oia sunsets! We sat on the little terrace in front of our entrance and basked in them every night.

The “family cave” was fairly basic but cozy. A bit damp, but it’s a cave (really), and not a luxury hotel (on that note, Fotinos Houses are about a third to half the cost of the hotels that now dot the cliffs of Oia. I’m sure the hotels (also with “cave” rooms) are very nice, but if you don’t want to spend the big money this is a perfect option for the same view and access to all the same restaurants).

The hosts, Fotinos and Ioanna (island natives!) were really welcoming and made us feel at home. Take them up on their local knowledge! We didn’t rent a car but it’s really easy to take busses to major sites and beaches. My last visit to Santorini was 25 years ago, and Oia now is a lot like Fira then – Oia is small and comfortable and seems more authentic and is easy to get around. Even with just 4 nights we felt like regulars in Oia, with large thanks to Fotinos and Ioanna. I certainly hope to get back sooner next time!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Isle-to-Isle
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We booked this house based on it's location - I wanted to be near the Summer Lovers house, which was my reason for coming to Santorini in the first place. I was not disappointed. It was perfect. The views were magnificent, the villa was beautiful, clean, and I had to keep reminding myself we were really there, that it wasn't just a dream. Because Santorini was exactly as I had pictured in my head, only more beautiful and more perfect.

Fotinos and Ioanna were absolutely lovely. We started our month-long vacation on Crete, and they were another reminder of how wonderful the Greek people were. They provided free transportation upon pickup at the port, and I was so excited when we arrived that I hugged the man holding our sign, thinking it was Fotinos, only it wasn't. He didn't seem to mind, though! Fotinos was waiting for us in the parking lot (near the Lioyerma Pool), and this being our first trip to Santorini, I didn't realize how far we'd be from the house and we had all way over-packed - a month in Greece, with two of those weeks on Santorini. Fotinos and my husband took 2 trips to haul our bags, so lesson learned for next time. My jaw dropped to the floor upon seeing the villa. I was literally blown away. Ioanna was there waiting for us with fresh chilled juice - and our son immediately fell in love with her. They could not have been better hosts - I am truly honored to have met them. Every day she would leave us treats - chocolate bread, almonds soaked in honey. And upon learning we had left our adapter back on Crete, Fotinos came back the next morning and drove my husband into Fira to buy one. On our last night there they gave us a tour of their favorite places on the island, and invited us back to their home for Greek coffee and tomato kefkedes. It was a truly special experience and we are kicking ourselves for not going to Greece sooner.

The location is perfect - while I thought we'd be fighting the stairs given my two recent back surgeries and a broken knee, I was in no pain at all, and everything was so beautiful that we didn't mind walking everywhere. In fact, we found it to be an absolute joy to do so. I can see how it could be difficult for the elderly, but the house is only half way down the hill, so not as far as many of them are. And the stairs do slope downwards a bit, which in the wrong shoes could be a real problem! You are also 5 minute walking distance to the Lioyerma Pool, which has an incredible view (but very windy as you are on the tip of the island), and if you buy drinks you can swim for free. We spent a lot of time there, and it seemed like most of the time my son had the whole pool to himself.

The neighbors were wonderful, as well as all of the tavernas and shops. Especially Melenio, where we had dessert every single night, and our son started getting free ice cream for flirting with the women who worked there. Be sure to check out the Summer Lovers gallery - the owners are absolutely fantastic, and invited us over to watch the sunset one night. They would welcome our son with open arms every morning. As did just about everyone in Greece. We can't wait to return.

You are right next to where everyone congregates to watch the sunset. We found the people watching the sunset more entertaining than the sunset itself (they all cheer, it's hilarious). They start getting there early, and it can be impossible to navigate the crowds, so if you're trying to make it back to the villa in time to watch the sunset, keep this in mind.

Fotinos and Ioanna, thank you so much for opening your beautiful villa to us, and helping to make a dream come true!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RedheadedGardenLady
Reviewed 5 October 2012

My friend and I stayed at Fotinos traditional cave house in Oia, Santorini for 2 weeks September,2012. Fotinos and his lovely wife Ioanna made us feel completely at home. This delightful traditional home is spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The location is ideal. Each evening people gather on the cliffs and viewpoints around you to watch the most amazing sunsets that we have ever seen. The views are breathtaking and you really do get a sense of being in a unique and exotic locale. There are lots of great restaurants and shopping close by. We got our exercise in by walking the donkey trail and doing all of the stairs that make this cliff dwelling so fabulous.
This was the experience of a lifetime and a a dream vacation filled with great memories. Fotinos and Ioanna are genuine, warm, great people!!! We left feeling that our lives were enriched and that we had made some fantastic new friends! They are just a delight. I would recommend this property to my friends and family and I hope that someday I will return to this lovely home away from home.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at Fotinos's honeymoon house on our honeymoon in July, and we loved it! The small house feels like a cottage, and we really felt at home there. It's located in the heart of Oia, within just a couple minutes walk to lots of shopping and restaurants. The view of the caldera from the house is exceptional. The bathroom is large, there's a small kitchen, and the main room. The air conditioner works well, but it does not reach the bathroom and must be turned off when you leave the house, so it takes a little while to cool the place down when you get back to the room.There's assistance with your luggage, which we definitely needed because the walk to and from the house is very strenuous, up and down many steps. There is free transportation from the port to the house, but we had to pay for the transport from the house back to the port (although Fotinos did arrange this for us). The house was comfortable, with a patio and roof which we used to watch the sunset while having a picnic. There was an ant problem while we were there (although we didn't have any food out), and I ended up with a bunch of ants in my luggage. The house is cleaned every other day by Fotinos's wife. We rented a car, and there is a place to park it for free, but it's a strenuous 10 minute walk from the car parking to the house. I also must say that Fotinos is a little hard to get a hold of while there...for example, we needed more toilet paper and could not find him to ask for more. He also was not very friendly - not mean, just not too friendly. However, we had a great vacation and found this place to be romantic, authentic, and well priced. I'd definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Fotinos and his wife were so hospitable and have a beautiful cottage where you can enjoy the famous sunset and it is just minutes from the main walkway in Oia close to cafes and shops. The suite was immaculate and very comfortable with its own little kitchen and platform to view the sunset from.

Travel tip: There were fantastic restaurants around but we were recommended a few by the locals, particularly Roka which is hidden off the main walkway and Katina in Amoudi Bay for the freshest seafood. Be sure to ride a donkey up the steps too, they finish at approx 7 in the evening so don't miss out on the experience like we did!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple