“Cheerful staff, good food”
Review of Taverna Katina

Taverna Katina
Ranked #15 of 94 Restaurants in Oia
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in Ammoudi Port in Oia on island of Santorini
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The location is wonderful, on the harbor in Ammoudi Bay. Some reviewers felt the service was slow, but they serve good food, and the rhythm is geared for people enjoying the view and the ambience. I found the waiters cheerful and eager to do a good job, so I had several meals here during my stay close by. Their salads were especially good. I particularly liked the eggplant salad (melanzane salata) and the beetroot salad. The selection of wines was quite good, particularly the 1/2 bottle (375 ml.) Sigalas Asyrtiko, and the house red wine from Argyros.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,241)

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The view is amazing and worth seeing, but the food was not amazing and for that price it should have been. In addition, the service was slow. I guess it is fine in a greek holiday spot to not rush, but 15 minutes waiting for a check seems over doing it.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We walked down to the waterfront to this restaurant where we expected to have fresh fish....hoping for octopus spaghetti. They did have lobster spaghetti at an exhorbitant price. We settled on bream as it looked about the right size for the two of us. A $60 fish that was only OK. It was unseasoned and very dry. Unfortunately not all fish lends itself to grilling over the charcoal fire. An absolutely terrible value! This place needs to have more than one way to prepare fish, especially if they are charging such a high price! Maybe I should just purchase the fish from the fisherman and prepare it correctly myself. Worst meal we have had yet in Greece.

1  Thank BetsyGite
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We went to Karina, with the orange chairs, after a recommendation by a local. The view was magnificent, the setting superb. We were a bit surprised by the prices but decided to just enjoy the occasion.

After waiting 45 mins the waiter brought a meal of fish and chips to the young couple on the next table who had arrived well after us and they cheerfully tucked in. I was a bit jealous watching the young chap eating the chips as I was really hungry!

Three or four mins later the chef raced out with the waiter in tow; apologised to the young couple, whipped up the fish and chips from under their noses and brought it to us saying that this was actually our dinner! My husband pointed out that the people next door had been eating it. The chef looked pitying at us and denied this. Stephen said emphatically that the couple on the next table had been eating the meal. The chef poo pooed this and asked the couple had they been eating the meal but she ignored the blameless young woman's answer of 'I have been picking at it' and both the chef and the waiter insisted loudly that the food was OK. Amazed, we both loudly asserted that it was not OK and when asked 'Where, where has it been eaten' by an increasing stroppy and irate chef who was looking at the food like someone out of a pantomine, Stephen pointed to the place where the fish had clearly been eaten. There was another noisy round of 'It's OK' from the chef and the waiter and an increasingly incredulous 'No it's not OK' from us.(The chef was clearly deaf to any contradictions and blind to the evidence of her own eyes.) The chef scowled and spluttered at Stephen and was clearly up for another round of loud insistance that the food was fine when we both stood up and announced we were going. The chef flounced away muttering under her breath and the waiter glowered at us saying that they would bring us another meal.

We emphatically said we were leaving and walked out.

Two things struck me afterwards. The first was that I felt very sorry for the young couple who were totally blameless. I wish I had spoken to them and expressed sympathy for the nasty scene. The second thing that struck me was the absolute disdain that the chef and the waiter had for their customers. It was clear that the food had been eaten and they just did not give a damn about it. They could not care less about us or the young couple on the next table as there were plenty of tourists they could fleece.

I did wonder later what the standards of hygiene were like in the kitchen if they felt that swopping meals around between customers was acceptable (again no disrespect intended to the young couple)

The Bay is beautiful, but I strongly suggest that you eat elsewhere.
Visited May 2014

4  Thank Sandy I
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Katina in Oia (Ammoudi Bay) is actually below Oia. We suggest driving down to the bottom as there is parking. You get to choose your own fish out of a case and the cook it in an open grill (see pictures). We had the peppers, calamari, and scorpion fish. All definitely recommended.

1  Thank Masci_JM