“Fantastic seafood by the bay !!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taverna Katina

Taverna Katina
Ranked #15 of 90 Restaurants in Oia
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, View, Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Located in Ammoudi Port in Oia on island of Santorini
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic seafood by the bay !!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

Simply put, the most memorable meal of our three week trip to Greece. My wife and I began walking the long trail down the Amoudi around 6:30pm and enjoyed one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful sunset of our lives. Warning, don't do it if you have high heels or can't stand the smell of donkey poo. It was visually stunning, but the occasional stink can be a downer. Luckily, it didn't bother us too much and we even enjoyed a fun game of dodging donkey feces along the path. Anyway, we reached the bottom by the bay roughly as the sun began to disappear little before 8:00pm and grabbed a table. We heard many recommendations for seafood at Katina and they did not disappoint. We've been looking for Scorpion Fish Soup all over Greece, however it is usually prepared in the winter and we had traveled to Greece in September. Luckily, the hostess asked the chef (her mama), and she replied in Greek, "That's one of my specialties, no problem." She was right, it was my favorite dish of the entire trip and my wife's second. Her favorite (and my second) was Katina's Grilled Whole Large Calamari, which is insanely good as well. We also had some Grilled Octopus and Large Prawns, you can't go wrong here either. We stuck with an all seafood dinner, but many people seem to be enjoying their salads and meats too. My only wish was that we had ordered the Fried Tomatoes Fritters, which our waiter (who was friendly and taught us some Greek words) gave each of us a piece to try while we waited for a taxi to bring us back up the mountain. It was light and fluffy with a delicious blend of seasoning and other vegetables. It is one of our biggest regrets as no other restaurant we ordered afterward made it nearly as wonderful. Picturesque sunset, willingness to accommodate, friendly service, top notch food, and a gorgeous view of the bay ... ... an unforgettable evening all around. Please do yourself a favor and don't miss this gem of a restaurant on your trip to Santorini.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Gold Coast, Australia
“Worthwhile for the ambience alone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2010

I've eaten at Katina several times and it is definitely the setting that draws me back to this restaurant time and again - it has the pefect position in Ammoundi Bay ... really all the restaurants have fabulous views but I particularly like where Katina's is situated.

The food is consistently good although I noticed this year it appears that the portion sizes have decreased from previous years.

Service is very attentive - single ladies or ladies dining together note - there are a couple of very sleazy waiters there who are perhaps a little overattentive!

Lunch is probably the better meal to eat at Katina's given you have the full benefit of the beautiful surroundings.

Honolulu
“Great, simple tavern food, right on the sea.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2010

We walked the steps down to Taverna Katina to avoid the throngs of people in Oia and were rewarded with this pleasant tavern at the base of the cliffs. The decor and food are simple, no fancy tables with moody pendant lighting, just basic comfortable seating with the charm of oceanside dining.

We ordered the grilled octopus to start with, marinated with olive oil and lemon, and salt and pepper. It was tender, delicious, and probably the best octopus we've ever had. For the main we walked into the kitchen and selected the fresh fish we wanted, they filleted it and threw it on a charcoal grill, and added the same basic seasonings. Just like the appetizer, it was simple and unbelievably good.

The service was friendly and not overbearing, they even gave us some house wine, compliments on the house.

We would definitely come back again, just remember to bring something to cover up with since it can get cold once the sun goes down. And have the restaurant call you a taxi or shuttle so you don't have to make the hike back up.

1 Thank bjwang
New Jersey
“One of our best meals in Greece.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2010

My wife and I had a wonderful lunch here. I had good size piece of swordfish and my wife had 5 very large shrimp (accompanied by a delicious olive oil lemon sauce), which were grilled to perfection. Each dish cost about 17 euros. For the beautiful waterfront location we felt it was bargain. The service was somewhat "relaxed" as it is in many greek restaurants which we find very enjoyable. They don't "hover" over you; when we needed something we just caught thier attention and they came over and took care of it. Our waiter took us inside to pick out the swordfish and weighed it so I knew ahead of time what the cost would be.
You do need to be careful in any restaurant in greece when ordering fish. If you pick out a rather large fish that is cooked "whole" it could wind up costing quite a bit. I'm sure most will weigh it first and tell you the price if you ask.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
NJ
“Great experience!`”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

I walked the many stairs down to Amoudi Bay to visit this restaurant. I would do it again. The staff were wonderful. They helped us select our fresh fish from the kitchen. It was delicious. I also enjoyed the Santorini tomato balls and, of course, greek salad. The setting on the water was breathtaking, and very much welcomed after the long walk down the steps from Oia.