“They also tried to move us”
Review of Katikies Hotel

Katikies Hotel
Ranked #14 of 58 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We booked this hotel as we loved the idea of the pool. When we arrived they said "We have upgraded you ". After letting them know this was unacceptable and we had read here that they do that, we got a very nice room.. But the shutter design meant the room never got very dark and their was an emergency light they could not turn off......

Other than that the hotel is fantastic, staff are friendly and very helpful. Breakfast is fantastic. The view is amazing. It's a shame they spoilt it for us with their upgrade behaviour.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jonnysh

Reviewed 8 August 2012

I don't think there is anything negative you could say about this paradise. It was the most relaxing and perfect place we have ever stayed at. It situated at the beginning of the walk way of shopping and restaurants. If you get the chance, get the hotel to arrange for renting a quad. Absolutely the best way to see the island and alot of fun. Thank you again Katikies for being a big part of my relaxing holiday.

3  Thank rugrat19
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We just got back from spending 8 wonderful nights at Katikies for our honeymoon. We did tons of research prior to booking, and obsessively read reviews of other comparable hotels in Oia (Perivolas, Ilkies, Canavas). Down to the day we left, we wondered, "Did we make the right decision?"

Well, I can now answer unequivocally: YES!

For all of you who are obsessive (read: sometimes crazy) review-readers like me, I'll try to address some of the things that I had questions about and couldn't find answers to prior to visiting Katikies. First, though, let me echo the raves of everyone else on here: this hotel IS magical, the service is the best I've ever seen anywhere, and it is well worth the money.

ROOMS:

We stayed in a Superior Suite, which is at the upper end of the price level. Before going, I waffled between the Senior and Superior suites, but ended up picking the latter because it was a like 300m larger and I was worried about space. I would probably make that decision again, if we could afford it, but I think the Senior Suites would be just fine. The rooms were larger than I expected.

We actually got to see/sleep in two rooms. Our first room was 39, near the very top of the resort. As we checked in, everyone boasted that it was one of their "favorite" rooms. This particular room was all on one level--no loft. The balcony was very large and very private, but--since it was at the very top--the view is a little obstructed. The room also had a bathtub with a hand-held shower which leaked very badly, hence our moving out the next morning. If possible, I would definitely request a room with a stand-alone shower. It makes bathing much more convenient. I should say, though, the manager, Alexander, was very responsive to our complaints about the bathroom, and he was quick to place us in another room ASAP.

When we got to our new room, 36, we thanked our lucky stars that the shower in our previous room was leaky. Room 36 (and 37--which is right next door and virtually identical) was leaps and bounds better than our first room. 36 had a loft layout and felt much more spacious. There was a shower and a bathtub, and there was also an office with a desk. The terrace was a bit smaller and less private, with the next terrace very close, but the view must have been the best in the whole place--gorgeous and unobstructed.

Yes--the rooms are all white, and I can see why some would call them "plain." However, they were immaculately clean and updated. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed we've slept in. The A/C worked well. Nothing to complain about at all. Besides, you're looking outside most of the time anyway.

My only frustration was that they don't provide irons or ironing boards. When we asked, the receptionist said they were a "fire hazard." The problem is, after traveling for 15+ hours, most of your clothes will need a bit of a press. We ended up paying their ironing fee and sent a few pieces out. Next time, we'll pack our own steamer.

POOLS:

Another wonderful thing about room 36 was that it was right above the small infinity pool. As you've probably read, there are 3 pools at Katikies: the cave pool, the small infinity pool, and the larger, main infinity pool.

The cave pool is by the lounge, and it was empty every single time we look. Most people must prefer the sun. The larger pool is at the very bottom of the resort, and it is right next to the bar and the restaurant area.

We much preferred the smaller infinity pool. It only has 1 double-lounger so, if you can score it (which we did 3 days of our stay), you feel like you have the whole place to yourself. It's very private.

It could be difficult to get a lounger by either pool if you didn't claim it by 10 in the morning. Since we usually had our breakfast delivered (more on that later) at around 10:30, we usually ended up spending a couple of hours in an upstairs lounger, waiting for one by the pool. I will say that this was one of the few drawbacks of the hotel. I'm not sure how they could remedy it, really, but they always ran out of beds around the pool. The guests from Villa Katikies are allowed to use the amenities, and I think that may be part of the problem. But, when you're on a relaxing vacation, you don't want to have to set your alarm for early morning just to get a sun bed. It's worth mentioning that we were there during the busiest time of the season. So, this may have added to the problem. So, yes, we preferred the quieter and smaller pool, when the lounger was available.

FOOD:

One thing that really impressed us was the food at the hotel. Much of what we ate at Katikies was the best that we ate on the whole island. We're big foodies, and we don't usually expect much from hotel cuisine. However, from the breakfast to the lunch menu to the Katikies Experience--which we loved--we were continuously impressed by both the flavor and the presentation of the food. And, it's worth mentioning that the prices for food were reasonable.

SERVICE:

The service is, as many have said, what really seals the deal with Katikies. Honestly, meeting the kind staff was one of the highlights of our trip. Martin, Michael, Alex, Alexander and Ilias were there for our every need. We looked forward to laying by the pool or ordering food just so we could talk with them. Their kindness and attentiveness were completely genuine, and we were never made to feel like a burden. To be able to provide this kind of cheer in the midst of an economic crisis--and to people paying an absurd amount for a luxury stay, no less--is commendable. It is also worth mentioning that the twice-daily cleaning service was remarkably thorough.

STAIRS:

I read lots of "be warned about the stairs" disclaimers before going. Since I'm not the most fit person, I was worried. While you will definitely notice and sometimes hate the stairs, they are really nothing to be too concerned about. If I could traverse them without much trouble, you can too. :) That said, I would not want a room on the lower level.

Overall, staying at Katikies is what made our trip to Santorini so special. If we ever go back to the island, we'll stay there again in a heartbeat. If you're waffling like we were, just pull the trigger. I promise, you won't have any regrets.

Room Tip: We ended up in 2 different Superior Suites, switching due to a leaky shower. Without a doubt, the ro...
7  Thank emiliewasmyeve
Reviewed 28 July 2012

This place is absolutely incredible and I would highly recommend staying here! Even if you have to shorten your trip in Santorini since 3-5 days is probably enough before/after hitting some of other islands. We splurged on this hotel since we were only in Santorini for 3 nights and it was the perfect way to ease into the travel and well worth it. If you stay anywhere other than this in Santorini you honestly are making a huge mistake. The rooms, the infinity pool the staff and the service are unbeatable. We're definitely going back and hopefully staying longer next time. We actually were depressed when we left and we had just gotten to Mykonos and had 7 days on another island, but we just missed that infinity pool and complete relaxed atmosphere. Anyway, if you're going to Santorini then don't even think about it and book this hotel! You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: I would say probably the higher the room the better. Ask for a larger or more private balcony and ma...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ptrainor7
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Stayed at this wonderful hotel and must extend my thanks and recognition to its amazing staff (Hotel Manager Alexandros, Mihalis, Martin, Hazel and Corinna--as well as the others). The setting of this hotel is stunning, nestled in the caldera overlooking the Aegean. It captures the profound beauty of this island. The chalk white hotel contrasts perfectly with the deep azure of the surrounding sea and the caldera's rusty majesty. The rooms are perfect and the views beyond description--although I've tried. As I mentioned above, the staff is superb and leaves nothing to be desired. It truly is a hotel fit for Zeus and Hera!!!

Room Tip: The hotel is on the caldera and there are no elevators. If you dont want to walk up look for higher...
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Best hotel we have ever stayed at and was perfect for a honeymoon! Oia is the best place to stay in Santorini and the Katikies is just AMAZING. The staff is beyond helpful and the hotel is just beautiful. We loved the infinity pool the most and our room with a private balcony was a close second (best part is the served breakfast every morning).

Room Tip: All rooms look great
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My wife and I have done a bit of traveling and this was the best place we have been to by far. From the moment you arrive, Alexander and his amazing staff make sure each and every guest is fully taken care of at all times. They all work so incredibly hard to make sure of this. The resort is impeccably clean and each and every room from what I saw has a different layout because of the unique landscape. The awesome breakfast on your own private terrace in the morning could be one the nicest and most breathtaking experiences you will have. They have quite a few pools but the main pool which overlooks the mediteranean is awesome. The team at the pool is on top of everything there and not in an annoying way. The bedroom area while not spacious had enough room for a king size bed with awesome pillows and sheets. Really comfortable. Two Nice size tv's in the room and free wifi as well.
We had such a blast here that we arranged to squeeze out another day and wish it could have been more! This place is a must for anyone who truly appreciates the ultimate luxury experience. We cant wait to come back. Give yourself enough days if you can!

Room Tip: I think they are all good? Not sure you can miss here
1  Thank Jonathan L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oia
Andronis Luxury Suites
Lilium Villas
Lilium Villas
#8 of 81 in Fira
Alta Mare by Andronis

Been to Katikies Hotel? Share your experiences!