“It can't get any better than this” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Katikies Hotel

Katikies Hotel
Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in Oia
London, United Kingdom
“It can't get any better than this”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

My wife and I recently visited Santorini for a week. On a cruise once before when we had visited Santorini for a day, we had decided to come back and spend more time there. And Oia had seemed to us to be the best option given its views of the caldera and the overall vibe. The reason I picked the Katikies is because a long time back, I had seen Samantha Brown on the Travel Channel talk about this hotel in her Best Hotels show and it stuck with me.

The place is not very small by Oia standards. 30 plus rooms, but most of them seem to be tucked away in such a way that you feel a bit secluded. The all white stone cave-like appearance of the hotel is extremely attractive, as are the two infinity pools (one of which is quite small).

The views are stunning. From anywhere in the hotel, you get a fantastic view of the caldera. Every room seems to have a balcony with a view (at least ours did).

So, the rooms are fantastic, the views are stunning, the infinity pool and the beach beds are as relaxing as can be, the staff is incredibly attentive and helpful and the hotel location is probably the best.

If you are planning a trip to Santorini, and you are going for relaxation, Oia is the place to be and Katikies is certainly the hotel to stay.

One caveat I should mention is that if you want to visit any of the beaches, or Akrotiri (the archeological dig site), it is a bit of a drive (30-45 minutes) to each of these places. That is because Oia is at the northern tip of the island. But you can rent a car as we did and it was perfectly fine.

Because of Oia's views and the hotel's white stone appearance and strategic location, we saw no less than 3 or 4 different wedding photo shoots right by the hotel as well as a commercial photo shoot with a model from Italy. That is testament to the beauty of the Katikies, but I must admit the latter was a bit of an intrusion.

In any case, I give this hotel 5 stars for quality, service and relaxation.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Faisal L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Katikies is by far one of the best hotels I have ever had the pleasure of visiting.
We have been there 4 years in a row and it is in our summer holiday plans every year!

The young chef, George, is fantastic. The got a huge fish for us (not on the menu), grilled it to perfection, made as we wanted every single day and they did it with a smile!

We absolutely love it! The environment, the service, the food, everything is so special.
We wanted to work out and they even brought us weights to our terrace! (they don't have a gym, but you don't need it, trust me) We wanted Protein powder, and they brought it for us immediately.

Really, every wish is their command!
See you in 2014!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

My wife and I went on our honeymoon for 7nights to sardinia (porte cervo), 5 nights in rome and 5 nights in Santorini from Oct02-Oct07. Santorini was by far the highlight for us, largely because of Katikies. The staff are extremely friendly, helpful, and welcoming. They upgraded us to a honeymoon suite from a junior suite for the last 4 nights. So we stayed at both room 14 (junior suite) which has one of the best views of the whole hotel and room 40 (one of the honeymoon suites with a jacuzzi) which is just a lovely spacious room in a little more secluded area near the top of the cliff so with a lovely view too. The food is amazing by the pool and we also went to the gourmet restaurant which was very romantic and the food was superb. Overall i couldn't imagine staying at a better hotel than this. I hope we are lucky enough to stay there again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank owenminde
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

The Katikies Hotel has one of the most spectacular views on the Island, seeing the caldera view for the first time left me speechless, nestled in the edge of the volcano, the hotel commands a spectacular uninterrupted view of the ocean and mountainous cliffs surrounding.
The staff made my stay one of the most comfortable I have ever had in a hotel, I have experienced impeccable service before but not at this level, the desire to make us comfortable and enjoy every part of our stay was absolutely genuine and sincere, the pool staff especially made us feel more like special members of family rather than guests.
Both restaurants served exquisite food, again with impeccable service, breakfast was an extraordinary experience, one I couldn't wait to wake for every morning.

Thank you to all the staff! We were very sad to leave you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Jaw dropping views, terrific food combined wth truly outstanding service. This is one of those places where you get the feeling you have the world in your hands. I was injured and struggling to get around, which is a challenge when your basically on a cliff face in the middle of the Aegean Sea; but this didn't stand in the way of the staff making our stay memorable and comfortable. We loved having breakfast on our terrace each morning. Since we were unable to travel we got to eat exclusively at the hotel, and were never dissappointed. We tried most of the dining experience, I'd highly recommend the Greek restaurant where we were presented with 10 delicious meals. IHighest marks for cleanliness and service. Treat yourself and stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Relayer_Tor
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed in this hotel for five days in early Aug 2013.
We were hell bent on staying at a place with a magnificent view of the caldera, and the Katikies Honeymoon Suite did not disappoint!
The suite we got was the top most one beside the reception area, with its own private balcony, Jacuzzi and lounge area, all of which have a perfect on obstructed view of the caldera.
Initially we weren't too sure if we made the right decision as when we first got there we didn't feel the reception was 'welcoming' as we expected it to be. We had a friendlier 'welcome staff' from the Athens hotel we stayed in. To be fair though the rest of our experience with the staff was great and had no other issues.

Similar to the other reviewers, we had problem with the showers too, we couldn't get proper hot water during certain times of the day, I'm not sure if it's related to being the top room on the cliff.

The hotel have a rule to put your towels and robes in the bath tub for it to be replaced, I figured this out on my third day. So I put my bath robe on the head area of the tub, I even tried putting it on the bathroom floor and bedroom floor, but house keeping keeps putting my robe back on the clothes hanger, they were never replaced on all 5days:(

Other than these nuisances, our stay at Katikies was quite perfect and very relaxing. Breakfast was delivered daily to our room, which is great considering the room location.

We tried the sunset wine tasting experience offered by the hotel, with the ambiance, view and perfect weather it was one of the most romantic settings I could ever possibly pray for. It's icing on the cake that our sommelier was quite entertaining and helpful introducing the Greek wines.

We had their dinner package as well, and it was one of the best meals we had in the island one which could surely rival that of the more well known restaurant Ambrosia Santorini.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

We had an incredible time at Katikies hotel. We travel extensively and this is one of the best and most scenic hotel we stayed in. The views are incredible, we had a suite with a terrace over looking the caldera with its deep blue water. Breakfast was delivered daily to our terrace, it was a great way to start the day, I would recommend the yogurt with honey and fruits the best greek yogurt ever. Sitting at the Infiniti pool was the most relaxing experience, the staff members without exception were all very friendly very attentive to all our needs. Alejandro the manager always made sure we were satisfied with our stay. We ate at the gourmet restaurant , a very romantic spot, it sits only 4 tables with the most gorgeous view and fabulous food. We spent 5 nights there, it was very difficult to leave at the end as we got used to the pampering in this idyllic place. We will definitely come back to Katikies again and will always remember that beautiful view and warm service.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oia
Kirini Suites & Spa
#18 of 55 in Oia
Filotera Suites
Filotera Suites
#1 of 55 in Oia

Been to Katikies Hotel? Share your experiences!